49.png BOD Info Center

17.png Forums
16.png New Posts
20.png Unanswered Posts

calendar_day.png Upcoming Events
mapicon.png Map
29.png Calendar
11.png Submit Event

mapicon.png WGA State Park CachesNew content !

shield_star.png Cache of the Month
mapicon.png Past Winners Map

LonelyCache.png Lonely Cache Game
mapicon.png Current Map
26.png Scoreboard
11.png Submit Report

rescueiconsm.png Cache Rescue
11.png Submit a Mission

icon_community.gif Members
27.png Your Account
47.png Private Messages
contact_blue.png WGA Member Map
Geocaching_LIVE_poweredby_16.png GC.COM Authorization

icon_members.gif News
tree-T.gif Topics
tree-T.gif Archives
tree-L.gif Submit News

image_cultured.png Photo Gallery
tree-T.gif Updates
tree-L.gif Popular

shield.png Fun Stuff
28.png Recent Logs
TB.gif Picnic to Picnic TB Race Standings
TB.gif WGA Hauler

49.png Board of Directors

Contact Us

Facebook

Wisconsin Geocaching Association

Follow Us

Twitter Button

Subscribe to Newsletter

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

Geocaching.com Search
View Search Syntax

COTM
Winner -
July 2014 Northern Zone:
Call Box

Winner -
July 2014 Northeast Zone:
Twisted Metal

Winner -
July 2014 West Central Zone:
The Island

Winner -
July 2014 South Central Zone:
Puzzle of Books

Winner -
July 2014 Southeast Zone:
Make do with what you have

Winner -
July 2014 Series of the Month:
Door County Barn Quilt Series

More Info >>>

Wisconsin Geocaching Association: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
OuttaHand
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:05 pm Reply with quote Back to top

We were in Madison today at the big Garden Expo. We found a booth with a sign that said "ColdCache" so I had to ask.

A ColdCache is basically an Earthcache that is on the Ice Age Trail.

It looks like a pretty interesting idea and program!! Laughing

You can check it here: http://www.iceagetrail.org/coldcache.htm

Lostby7
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:29 pm Reply with quote Back to top

This project is still in the planning process...more will be released a bit later this year (with a possible mid summer kickoff). AuntieNae is in communications with the IAT folks. She will no doubt share the information once things get finalized.

I'm currently placing a few new ones on the IAT for inclusion in the new program...in fact I just completed the write up for one this morning and am currently seeking permissions. I have a second and third site in mind as well but have to pay those locations a visit first...

...also this thread may be better served if a mod moved it in the EarthCache section.

AuntieNae
WGA Treasurer
WGA Treasurer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:38 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Looks like I was able to move this to the EarthCache forum .. cool!

ColdCache is a project of the Ice Age Park & Trail Foundation. Dolly McNulty is the creator. Her goal, to bring more visitors to the Ice Age Trail through the placement of a series of EarthCaches along the trail. She has a patch incentive program in the works as well.

I should be able to post more soon.

WGA Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:57 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the link... I bookmarked for future.

LightningBugs Mum
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:37 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Wow - a booth at the garden expo. Cool beans!

HOT TROT
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:57 am Reply with quote Back to top

While I was there, they had one pamphlet left about it. Haven't had a chance to look it over yet though.

Trekkin and Birdin
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:52 am Reply with quote Back to top

I gathered all kinds of info for one on the potholes trail in Devil's Lake last fall, but.....having depended on the GPSr for waypoints, I didn't count on someone clearing them all out! I have all the research and my plan, but will need to go back to get new waypoints before submission. I'm waiting for the trail to be clear of ice. Not smart for old people to hike that one when icy! Maybe I can scope it out this next week.

Lostby7
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:13 pm Reply with quote Back to top

New information has been posted to the page from the above link:

(be aware this program is still in the beginning stages and several caches are yet to be listed with the programs designation- and there are still a few final details to work out with the program.)

I'm wondering what a "Feature Type" is.....and a cost to get your patches?
http://www.iceagetrail.org/PDF/ColdCache_Awards_Program_Log.pdf

Quote:
ColdCache Program

ColdCaching is an exciting new way to explore and learn about the many fascinating natural features along the thousand-mile Ice Age National Scenic Trail. If you are looking for a family-friendly activity providing the opportunity to experience the thrill of a treasure hunt, learn important navigational skills and develop an appreciation for Wisconsin's fascinating Ice Age history, ColdCaching is for you!

What is ColdCaching?

The concept of Ice Age Trail ColdCaching is based on the popular activities of GeoCaching and EarthCaching.

* GeoCaching is an outdoor treasure-hunting game in which participants use a Global Positioning System (GPS) receiver or other navigational techniques to hide and seek "caches" containing a logbook and "treasure" (usually toys or trinkets of little value).
* EarthCaching is a similar to GeoCaching, except participants seek out natural features instead of human-placed caches.
* ColdCaching is a type of EarthCaching in which participants seek out natural features along the Ice Age Trail.

As a ColdCaching participant, you can choose from a list of compelling Ice Age Trail landmarks (ColdCaches) to seek out. Once the ColdCache is discovered, you are asked to perform a simple task and/or answer a question related to the site to verify your find. As you investigate more and more sites, you can earn more and more ColdCache awards. You can also participate by developing new ColdCaches for others to seek out.

ColdCaching helps the Ice Age Park & Trail Foundation pursue its mission of creating, supporting and protecting the Ice Age Trail. It provides a family-friendly way to explore the Ice Age Trail and learn about both Wisconsin's Ice Age history and modern-day landscape. The ColdCache program raises the profile of the Ice Age Trail among the growing EarthCaching community while attracting another group greatly increasing in numbers — users of GPS technology. Additionally, ColdCaching is consistent with Leave No Trace outdoor ethics in that participants leave only footprints on the landscape as part of their activities.

Before Getting Started

Because ColdCaching is an Ice Age Trail activity, for starters you'll need to be able to locate the Trail. Our Ice Age Trail Companion Guide and Ice Age Trail Atlas are the best resources for finding and navigating the Trail. You can get free excerpts from the Companion Guide and a regional map for each part of the state by visiting our Hike By County page. A GPS unit is a useful aid for ColdCaching, but is not essential.

Before setting out for any Ice Age Trail hike, we recommend browsing our Plan a Hike, Trail Ethics & Use and Controlling Invasives pages.

Finding a ColdCache

If you're ready to start hunting for ColdCaches, visit http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?key=iatcc for the list of sites. On your first visit, you'll need to create an account with geocaching.com in order to see the full details (including location information) for each ColdCache.

Each ColdCache includes instructions for performing a simple task and/or answering a question or two in order to verify your find.

New sites will be added frequently, so check back regularly for new ColdCaches to explore.

Earning an Award

As you find more and more ColdCaches, you can register for the ColdCache awards program to receive patches recognizing your prowess as a ColdCache hunter. Click here to download the awards program log.

* Level I: Snowflake. A water crystal that forms in the atmosphere and falls to the earth. Visit and log 3 ColdCache sites representing at least 2 different feature types.
* Level II: Blizzard. A long, severe snowstorm with intensely cold wind and fine snow. Visit and log 7 ColdCache sites representing at least 5 different feature types.
* Level III: Firn. Partially consolidated snow that has passed through one summer melt season, but is not yet glacial ice. Visit and log 12 ColdCache sites representing at least 9 different feature types.
* Level IV: Ice Sheet. A broad, thick sheet of ice covering an extensive area for a long period of time. Visit and log 18 ColdCache sites representing at least 14 different feature types.
* Level V: Glacier. An extended mass of ice, formed from snow falling and accumulating over years, that flows over a land mass. Visit and log 25 ColdCache sites representing at least 20 different feature types.

Please note that the ColdCache awards program is not linked to your account at geocaching.com. That is, even as you register sites as "found" on your geocaching.com account, you'll need to notify the ColdCache coordinator via the awards program log to quality for ColdCache patches.

Developing a ColdCache

In addition to participating in ColdCaching by searching for ColdCaches, you can also play a valuable role in the program by developing new sites for others to investigate.

If you are interested in helping out, write to the ColdCache coordinator at coldcache@iceagetrail.org. The coordinator will walk you through the process of developing a ColdCache using the following guidelines and forms:

Submittal Guidelines
Site Development Tasks
Field Notes
Placement Authorization
DNR GeoCache Placement Notification
EarthCache Submittal Form

For More Information

For questions about any aspect of the ColdCache program, contact the program coordinator by writing to coldcache@iceagetrail.org.
[/b]

The Troops
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:31 pm Reply with quote Back to top

To this date, there are ten IATCC's Most of them are in Southeastern WI. It's a nice program to get Geocachers and Earth Cachers onto the Ice Age Trail. I've got a few potential spots in the early development stages. If anyone would like to give advice on developing an Earth cache I would greatly appreciate it.

Lostby7
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:47 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The Troops wrote:
To this date, there are ten IATCC's Most of them are in Southeastern WI. It's a nice program to get Geocachers and Earth Cachers onto the Ice Age Trail. I've got a few potential spots in the early development stages. If anyone would like to give advice on developing an Earth cache I would greatly appreciate it.

The best advise I can give you is to go out and do some and get a feel for what they are about then find something interesting that you yourself want to learn about...then teach us about it once you understand it.

campwebb12
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:47 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Dolly had contacted me about making my "Government Hill" (GC1QD7Q) a ColdCache, but I haven't heard back from her yet. Does anyone know how to do that? I assume that you add the prefix to it, but is there more to it?

Lostby7
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:50 pm Reply with quote Back to top

campwebb12 wrote:
Dolly had contacted me about making my "Government Hill" (GC1QD7Q) a ColdCache, but I haven't heard back from her yet. Does anyone know how to do that? I assume that you add the prefix to it, but is there more to it?

She needs to make sure your cache qualifies (as far as I can tell it does). Give her a email back and see where the classification is at if she hasn't yet given you approval....I suggested your site to her...I'd love to see it in the CC program.
Razz

If you need help with the HTML for the CC stuff let me know and I can help you out / provide it to you.

Lostby7
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:40 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I developed three new Ice Age Trail ColdCaches (IATCC)...one is published, one is waiting for someone (from GC?) to hit the submit button and one is written but not yet submitted. These new listings are all on different topics: two in the Southern Kettle and one up nord (and West).

Also I have the level one patch and certificate and have earned the next two levels as well. Come on folks let's get Earthy.
ImageImage

The Troops
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:06 am Reply with quote Back to top

I am very enthused about this program. I'm up to level three already. I have several in the development stage right now. All the field work has been done, Coords, photos, tasks & approvals. Because I work two full time jobs Monday thru Friday, it's only the weekends I have to do the educational written report end of it. My New Years resolution was to get more trail time under my belt. I want to finish the entire Ice Age Trail by July 7 next year (when I'm 50) I'v hiked more than half the trail to date. So staying in the house while the weather is nice is difficult. Gary I'd sure like to sit down with you sometime over a beverage and you can give me some pointers or we could co-develop some IATCC's.

Lostby7
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:19 am Reply with quote Back to top

The Troops wrote:
I want to finish the entire Ice Age Trail by July 7 next year (when I'm 50) I'v hiked more than half the trail to date. So staying in the house while the weather is nice is difficult. Gary I'd sure like to sit down with you sometime over a beverage and you can give me some pointers or we could co-develop some IATCC's.

I plan to begin THE HIKE this fall starting with the counties closest to me....not sure if I'll ever hike the whole trail or not but it sure is a worthy goal.

I love to write up listings so co-developing them is no problem. Usually I like to have someone grab the coords and site specific information and I do the writing and research.

Last edited by Lostby7 on Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:41 am; edited 1 time in total 

View next topic
View previous topic