49.png BOD Info Center

17.png Forums
16.png New Posts
20.png Unanswered Posts

calendar_day.png Upcoming Events
mapicon.png Map
29.png Calendar
11.png Submit Event

mapicon.png WGA State Park CachesNew content !

shield_star.png Cache of the Month
mapicon.png Past Winners Map

LonelyCache.png Lonely Cache Game
mapicon.png Current Map
26.png Scoreboard
11.png Submit Report

rescueiconsm.png Cache Rescue
11.png Submit a Mission

icon_community.gif Members
27.png Your Account
47.png Private Messages
contact_blue.png WGA Member Map
Geocaching_LIVE_poweredby_16.png GC.COM Authorization

icon_members.gif News
tree-T.gif Topics
tree-T.gif Archives
tree-L.gif Submit News

image_cultured.png Photo Gallery
tree-T.gif Updates
tree-L.gif Popular

shield.png Fun Stuff
28.png Recent Logs
TB.gif Picnic to Picnic TB Race Standings
TB.gif WGA Hauler

49.png Board of Directors

Contact Us

Facebook

Wisconsin Geocaching Association

Follow Us

Twitter Button

Subscribe to Newsletter

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

Geocaching.com Search
View Search Syntax

COTM
Winner -
June 2014 Northern Zone:
Forbidden Fruit

Winner -
June 2014 Northeast Zone:
Wildlife & Travel Bug Sanctuary

Winner -
June 2014 West Central Zone:
Pirates of the Roche-a-Cri

Winner -
June 2014 South Central Zone:
The Big "K"

Winner -
June 2014 Southeast Zone:
Whoomp! There It Is

Winner -
June 2014 Series of the Month:

More Info >>>

Wisconsin Geocaching Association: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
marc_54140
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:18 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hmmmm. I wonder if Challenge Caches might be the next big thing.

I see on -cheeto-'s page there is a bookmark listing. Very interesting! Got a few ideas, and thought up some others.

Would it be possible to come up with enough of them to keep Honeybunnies occupied in Wisconsin for a while?

sandlanders
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:50 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Challenge: Find Every Cache in Wisconsin. Honeybunnies have that one close to being finished, don't they?

marc_54140
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:10 pm Reply with quote Back to top

sandlanders wrote:
Challenge: Find Every Cache in Wisconsin. Honeybunnies have that one close to being finished, don't they?

I do not think he has done half my puzzles!!

Or cemeteries .........

-cheeto-
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:40 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Find all unarchived WGA COTM nominated caches...

sandlanders
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:47 pm Reply with quote Back to top

marc_54140 wrote:
sandlanders wrote:

Puzzle Tour of Marc's caches for THB. Bring all of your solutions for Seth to use or just show him where the caches are. Twisted Evil

marc_54140
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:18 am Reply with quote Back to top

sandlanders wrote:
marc_54140 wrote:
sandlanders wrote:

Puzzle Tour of Marc's caches for THB. Bring all of your solutions for Seth to use or just show him where the caches are. Twisted Evil

Oh, oh! I hear INCOMING!!!

gotta run
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:07 am Reply with quote Back to top

marc_54140 wrote:
Oh, oh! I hear INCOMING!!!

Not from me. I don't care if you lead puzzle tours of your own caches. In fact I think it's a slendiforous idea.

GetMeOutdoors
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:31 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Challenge caches seem like a good alternative for those who subscribe to the "It's Not about the numbers" mantra. For some it's not about the numbers but it is about the challenges. Part of the fun of this sport seems like it is achieving goals. For many, those goals are numbers based, for others they are more abstract, and others (like myself) fluctuate between the 2.

It's always nice to have a goal and the challenge caches can be a good opportunity for that. But if there are too many of them then it just becomes an overwhelming mess. A handful of them is nice but too many too fast would probably not be a good thing.

The challenge cahces that are more "ambiguous" and have many ways to accomplish them are more fun (IMHO) than the ones that are too specific. Some challenge caches say (Find every cache on this list) (which is NOT fun) and others say find 26 caches that start with each letter of the alphabet... there's more than 1 way to solve that one and it's more fun.

Ones that are statistic based kind of interest me. Like the well rounded cacher for instance, that one looks neat (Though difficult). Or one that would say that you have to have so many FTFs or found at least x number of 5/5s.

I think the best kind of challenge cache is one that allows the cacher do design their own adventure so to speak but "provokes" them to have fun by helping them set a goal (but allows them the freedom to decide how to achieve it). The well rounded cacher, again, is a good example of that.

I guess I'm not saying that to argue with anyone... just offering some input to those individuals who are looking to design some of these challenges (And Thank you for that by the way).

Happy Caching!

Trekkin and Birdin
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:47 pm Reply with quote Back to top

We've enjoyed a few challenge caches for some of the reasons LB mentions; they give us a direction to look when designing our adventures. We'll grab the numbers along the way, but looking for the interesting, challenging or just plain awe-inspiring are the things that keep our GPSr units in batteries.

We admit to owning two of the challenge caches out there, and will be placing one more, which should be easily attainable, if one chooses their caching location well. I also agree that there can just be too many, challenges for the sake of having challenges. I'm sure they motivate some out there, but the ones to which we've gravitated are those that promise the journey, not the numbers (although this practice of grabbing those numbers along the journey does get results, LOL).

I'm sure each of us has our own little private challenges, too. In general, ours have to do with seeing the coolest spots, possibly the remotest, and seeing how far we can push our senior citizen selves to get to and/or retrieve some of them. If it involves a canoe or kayak in a river, we're on it.

-cheeto-
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:04 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
I think the best kind of challenge cache is one that allows the cacher do design their own adventure so to speak but "provokes" them to have fun by helping them set a goal (but allows them the freedom to decide how to achieve it). The well rounded cacher, again, is a good example of that.

I agree 100%. Those choosing your own adventure books is a neat metaphor for this. Much more interesting when you can choose from a menu rather than having only 1 choice. (another metaphor) My only caveat to anyone looking into designing a new challenge cache is that you think very closely about your requirements and maybe test them out with a few other cachers before publishing. Just a thought that might save you the hours and hours of pulling your hair out later. (I have some experience with that...)

Word a challenge too loosely and "anything goes". The more restrictions you place the more confused the general public becomes. There's a balance in the middle for these. That's why the delorme and the well-rounded challenges are good ones. There's no question what ya gotta go hunt. Pick em and go get em'.

Be careful about challenges that are based on moving parts: difficulty, terrains, cache names, container sizes, attributes -- these can all be changed later by an owner. Caches can also be archived. New caches can be published. All moving parts to consider.

And yes there can be too much of everything (even good things) at some point. Eating too much chocolate cake.. I don't think we are certainly "there" yet with challenge caches (or other ALR caches for that matter) in Wisconsin. I do think the physical locations of them should be spread around the state though.

I for one will not be publishing anymore challenge caches. I am busy enough managing one at a time thanks.

AstroDon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:42 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The challenge I'm looking forward to (and it's really no challenge at all) is not doing any!! Sorry, but I see no constructive purpose for them.

This is AstroKat, not AstroDon responding BTW.

Let the flaming begin.

Decrepit
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:22 pm Reply with quote Back to top

No Flaming from me. That's what great about geocaching... everyone gets to play it the way they want to. Very Happy

WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:06 pm Reply with quote Back to top

AstroDon wrote:
The challenge I'm looking forward to (and it's really no challenge at all) is not doing any!! Sorry, but I see no constructive purpose for them.

Let the flaming begin.

but do you not own the Wisconsin cache the the American challenge?

AstroD-Team
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:07 pm Reply with quote Back to top

marc_54140 wrote:
AstroDon wrote:

Let the flaming begin.

but do you not own the Wisconsin cache the the American challenge?

Yes. But I consider it a regular cache. It's only counts as part of the series if the finder completes the ALR.

WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:03 am Reply with quote Back to top

AstroDon wrote:
Sorry, but I see no constructive purpose for them.

Here's another challenge cache that you own(ed): GCMDMC

Every challenge I can think of is basically a "6 pack" of some sort...find a number of underlying caches before you can log the bonus/challenge cache. The only difference among them is in the degree of difficulty or number of caches required.

View next topic
View previous topic