49.png BOD Info Center

17.png Forums
16.png New Posts
20.png Unanswered Posts

calendar_day.png Upcoming Events
mapicon.png Map
29.png Calendar
11.png Submit Event

mapicon.png WGA State Park CachesNew content !

shield_star.png Cache of the Month
mapicon.png Past Winners Map

LonelyCache.png Lonely Cache Game
mapicon.png Current Map
26.png Scoreboard
11.png Submit Report

rescueiconsm.png Cache Rescue
11.png Submit a Mission

icon_community.gif Members
27.png Your Account
47.png Private Messages
contact_blue.png WGA Member Map
Geocaching_LIVE_poweredby_16.png GC.COM Authorization

icon_members.gif News
tree-T.gif Topics
tree-T.gif Archives
tree-L.gif Submit News

image_cultured.png Photo Gallery
tree-T.gif Updates
tree-L.gif Popular

shield.png Fun Stuff
28.png Recent Logs
TB.gif Picnic to Picnic TB Race Standings
TB.gif WGA Hauler

49.png Board of Directors

Contact Us

Facebook

Wisconsin Geocaching Association

Follow Us

Twitter Button

Subscribe to Newsletter

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

Geocaching.com Search
View Search Syntax

COTM
Winner -
June 2014 Northern Zone:
Forbidden Fruit

Winner -
June 2014 Northeast Zone:
Wildlife & Travel Bug Sanctuary

Winner -
June 2014 West Central Zone:
Pirates of the Roche-a-Cri

Winner -
June 2014 South Central Zone:
The Big "K"

Winner -
June 2014 Southeast Zone:
Whoomp! There It Is

Winner -
June 2014 Series of the Month:

More Info >>>

Wisconsin Geocaching Association: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Trekkin and Birdin
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:34 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm tired of seeing us burn through batteries that are hard to recycle (around here, anyway). Tell me about your experiences with rechargeables....best ones, best charger, how long your charge will hold on an outing, that kind of thing.

We use Garmin 60C series (one CSx and one CS). I'm also interested in kicking the battery habit with my Powershot. My "good" camera has a rechargeable pack, but it doesn't get nearly the use the pocket one does.

Thanks!

Team Black-Cat
WGA Webmaster
WGA Webmaster

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:25 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I've tried a few types and have had the best luck with Rayovac Hyprids. They are 2100 mAh, so they last quite a while. More importantly, they seem to last longer overall than the others we've used.

They seem to charge better with a charger that plugs into car lighter than into a wall socket, but that might just be me.

Frizz
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:34 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Because my Magellan explorist 600XL uses 4 AA batteries, I have always used rechargables. Currently I am using Nuon 2500mAh, and I use an Eveready 20 minute quick charger. The quick charger probably shortens the life of the battery, but only a little bit. I can charge 4 batteries in about 20-25 minutes. So far I have been quite satisfied with the Nuon batteries. I got them at a Battery Plus store. I found that they work better in my GPS than in my digital camera though.

WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:34 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Another Vote for the Rayovac Hybrids, I use them in my 60Cx and get around 15-20hrs of use(WAAS on, no battery saver mode).

The only difference with the hybrids and normal rechargables is there ability to hold a charge over a longer time.
Normally rechargables loose upto 1% of their charge daily just sitting on the shelf, so you need to have them freshly charged when heading out. I think the hybrids are hold 80% charge even after 6months.

Da Bloodhound
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:12 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hi Guys

I use Kodak rechargables and 1 hour recharger from WallyWorld. These seem to work just swell in both my 60CSx and the new Oregon 400T. I get a full day, sun up to sun set, in the Oregon and more in the 60.

I recharge over night and bring a spare pair along. I have never had a problem with them. I'd do it again. We were buying batteries from Sam's Club before like it was going out of business.

See ya down the trail Very Happy

DB

RJ McKenzie
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:08 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I use Duracell rechargeable batteries with my 60CSx and have had very good luck with them.

Buy_The_Tie
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:31 am Reply with quote Back to top

I use Duracell "Pre-Charged" and I have both a 15 minute and a slow charger for them. It is the same ones you bought for door prizes at the campout.

They work great in my various GPSr's and they work REALLY GREAT in digital cameras.

Lostby7
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:03 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I use NiMH Rechargeable batteries for my 60CSX and they work great....

http://www.all-battery.com/freeshipping24pcsofaa2600mahhighcapacitynimhrechargeablebatterieswith6freeholders.aspx

They are about three years old now and I still get about 8 hours per set of batteries each time...but get more than you need. I have swapped these into just about all my electronics which need AAs....

Todd300

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:22 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm curious...how long do a set of fully charged batteries last on a typical GPS?

Right now, I'm using my Pocket PC with a bluetooth GPS. The pocket PC itself does not last very long, so it's impractical for me to use on super long hikes unless I turn it off for a while if I know where I'm going. I had to do that yesterday on a long hike.

Whenever I go from cache to cache, it's always plugged into my car charger and it's a great charger too as the PPC is fully charged in like 15 minutes, which is also my typical driving time between caches. The bluetooth GPS receiver lasts me several hours and I only charge it in my car if I'm on a super long caching run. I'm debating getting a longer lasting battery for my PPC, but it's outdated that I doubt batteries are available for it anymore. It's a Dell Axim X30.

If anyone knows of long lasting batteries for a Dell Axim X30, let me know. I would appreciate it.

Next year, though, I plan on getting a real GPS so that I can go bike caching and long hikes..

Thanks to those that answer.

RSplash40
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:42 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I use a Maha MH-C9000 charger and powerex batteries.

The maha charger is the gsak of battery chargers(at least of those I've ever used) does all sorts of conditioning and

http://www.mahaenergy.com/store/viewItem.asp?idProduct=423

I found it a Amateur Electronic Supply (aesham.com), I bought 4 batteries with it and have had great luck and awesome hold time on the charge. I can go several days of all day caching before changing.

I have used other chargers and sets but haven't found either of them to last more than a year (the charger or batteries), it also seems like that if you put a different battery in them than what came with they never seem to work well and occasionally never charge.

Team Black-Cat
WGA Webmaster
WGA Webmaster

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:27 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Crap. Thanks Mike. Another toy I want...

SammyClaws
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:06 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Another vote for the Rayovac Hybrids - an entire day of caching, waas and backlight and an Oregon (i.e. battery hog). We use the Hybrids all over our house - remotes, thermostats, toys ... There is always 4 of them charged up and ready to go.

We use a La Crosse Technology BC-9009 AlphaPower Battery Charger - not the cadillac of chargers but has many of the same features of the Maha one for a bit less.

Mister Greenthumb
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:37 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I have Energizer 2500mAh batteries in 2 Garmins right now. They were both on about 8 hours each day over the weekend and are still at 50% charge. We have an Energizer charger that we got at Menard's for $20. It's about 2" x 5" x 9". I like it because it will charge 4 batteries at a time and take all sizes including 9 volt. That works well for flashlights and anything else. I have a smaller unit for travel that holds 4 AA. At Menard's the AA are $10 for a 4-pack and D's are $10 for a 2-pack.

hogrod
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:22 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I would really like one of those fancy chargers, but can't justify the cost. at 40+ dollars i could buy Allot of batteries and standard chargers.

I have been using rechargable batteries since the 1980's, things have improved greatly. some of my Rayovac Hybrids are over 2 years old and the still hold almost as much as new.

Before these I used Rayovacs old rechargeable & after 6months they weren't any good. I also had just as poor of luck with the energizer rechargeable.

The only other "hybrid" style battery I have tried was the Duracell precharged, but after a year they don't seem as good as the Rayovac Hybrids but still pretty good.

View next topic
View previous topic