49.png BOD Info Center

17.png Forums
16.png New Posts
20.png Unanswered Posts

calendar_day.png Upcoming Events
mapicon.png Map
29.png Calendar
11.png Submit Event

mapicon.png WGA State Park CachesNew content !

shield_star.png Cache of the Month
mapicon.png Past Winners Map

LonelyCache.png Lonely Cache Game
mapicon.png Current Map
26.png Scoreboard
11.png Submit Report

rescueiconsm.png Cache Rescue
11.png Submit a Mission

icon_community.gif Members
27.png Your Account
47.png Private Messages
contact_blue.png WGA Member Map
Geocaching_LIVE_poweredby_16.png GC.COM Authorization

icon_members.gif News
tree-T.gif Topics
tree-T.gif Archives
tree-L.gif Submit News

image_cultured.png Photo Gallery
tree-T.gif Updates
tree-L.gif Popular

shield.png Fun Stuff
28.png Recent Logs
TB.gif Picnic to Picnic TB Race Standings
TB.gif WGA Hauler

49.png Board of Directors

Contact Us

Facebook

Wisconsin Geocaching Association

Follow Us

Twitter Button

Subscribe to Newsletter

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

Geocaching.com Search
View Search Syntax

COTM
Winner -
September 2014 Northern Zone:
Bunyan's Bowling Ball

Winner -
September 2014 Northeast Zone:
Gardner Swamp Thing

Winner -
September 2014 West Central Zone:
Upper Dells SNA

Winner -
September 2014 South Central Zone:
Old Meets New

Winner -
September 2014 Southeast Zone:

Winner -
September 2014 Series of the Month:
Meet the WGA series

More Info >>>

Wisconsin Geocaching Association: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
lone_gunman
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:10 pm Reply with quote Back to top

As long as everything keeps going the way it is, I'm in for March.

What\'s life? Life\'s easy. A quirk of matter. Nature\'s way of keeping meat fresh 
Trekkin and Birdin
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:06 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hoping we can make this work out, that is probably the best dates for us as well. Ralph......you coming? wink

Jstajlr
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:17 pm Reply with quote Back to top

As it stands I have off Mar 5-6 if need be I could probably get someone to work for me on the 7th. If all goes well I should be able to attend.

One Paddle Short
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:36 pm Reply with quote Back to top

labrat_wr wrote:
would that be overnight Friday March5, with the trip to the caves Saturday March 6, or overnight Saturday, trip on Sunday?

Not sure how many others may have commitments on Sundays.
I would like the Friday/Saturday arrangement if I can make the trip.

I was thinking of a Saturday afternoon hike to the caves with a Saturday overnight at the hotel. Thoughts were that it would:

A. Provide folks who were within a reasonable driving distance the opportunity to drive up Saturday morning.
B. Others with further to drive could travel part way Friday night and then join the group Saturday afternoon. Sunday for driving home.
C. If for some reason Saturday afternoon has weather that isn't great it leaves you with Sunday morning as another option. I realize that isn't a very big spread for weather options but it's better than no options at all.

However, we can get Friday off for travel and we're thinking that we'll probably go for two nights. So, if most folks want to go Saturday morning we can do that too. For that matter, this is a very loosely structured outing. Some folks could meet Friday night and go Saturday morning, others Saturday afternoon, and still others on Sunday.

We're going to check into a room at the AmericInn for an event. Not sure how much they charge but they have some smaller meeting rooms listed on their web site. I'm not that worried about an actual event myself- I just want to go and have a fun weekend. But, it shouldn't take too much additional work to make it an event?

One Paddle Short
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:40 pm Reply with quote Back to top

cheezehead wrote:

There are a few other Earth caches and there is a cache "Lost Falls" that's been on my to do list for a very long time.

Lost Falls would be an epic snowshoe cache if you had to break trail all the way. But I'm pretty sure the trail in is a snowmobile trail so the hike would be much easier. But, from the photos on the cache page I think it would be a mistake to visit Lost Falls in the winter- unless you planned another trip in the summer. It's just too special to only see it froze over. Cache isn't real winter friendly either.

But, having said all that, I could probably be talked into a hike to lost falls. Rolling Eyes

Vegas Gamblers
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:30 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Question: It looks like we will not be getting snowshoes this winter (well I am still working at it). Could this be done without them.

One Paddle Short
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:59 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Vegas Gamblers wrote:
Question: It looks like we will not be getting snowshoes this winter (well I am still working at it). Could this be done without them.

Looking at the cache page photos, and from folks I've talked to who have visited the ice caves- yes. In fact all the folks I talked to didn't have snowshoes and said there was no need for them. I think that there are so many people who make the hike that it will be packed down and hard.

cheezehead
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:42 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The wife and I hiked out to them a few years ago with out snowshoes. Could almost be easier.

benny7210
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:04 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Just marked my calender for March 5,6. Sounds like a nother fun get together. Can't wait!! This sure makes the winter go faster.

WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:50 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Good news, bad news.

The good news is the person we reached at the AmericInn is a geocacher. Very Happy The bad news is that there is a hockey tournament that weekend and they are filling quickly. They still have rooms, but anybody wanting to stay there would need to book a room soon. They also have meeting rooms and we were told that if we have a group of geocachers staying there we could use one Saturday from 9AM- 1PM without a fee. Oh, we were also told that folks coming for the geocaching outing could get a reduced rate. However, we may want to look at trying to find a place for an event Saturday evening?

The Best Western is also filling quickly and they have no meeting rooms.

There is a Super 8 in Washburn and they are not affected by the hockey tournament (they have lots of rooms). Their rooms are also 30-40 dollars less a night. But they have no meeting rooms.

JimandLinda
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:30 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I think Super 8 in Washburn has a supper club/bar affiliated with it called The Steak Pit. Hugo's Pizza has a hub in Washburn, too. And it is about 15 minutes closer to GZ. Just hop on Hwy. C and meander up to the Superior shoreline. There is a small coffee shop at Port Wing, I think, for a warm up afterward. Not sure of their hours of operation, especially in winter.
The Twin Falls Cache is fairly close, too. But take the lower trail!

The downfall for Washburn is that anyone NOT going to the cache would want to drive to Ashland, as there isn't much to do in Washburn!

Heck, while your up there, you might as well drive on the ice road to Madeline Island! Alot cheaper than the ferry in the summer!

One Paddle Short
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:11 pm Reply with quote Back to top

We can not get a meeting room at the AmericInn for Saturday evening- they are all booked as a result of birthday parties and the hockey tournament. That and the fact that they are quickly filling and have only a few rooms made us decide to look further.

We are now looking at Bayfield. There are two hotels we have contacted. One is the Bayfield Inn. The rooms look pretty nice and the off-season prices aren't bad. There is also Seagull Bay. My wife and I stayed there last June for a couple of nights and it was fine. But the Bayfield Inn has a meeting room that holds around 50 people and they said that if we have a group staying at the hotel we can use it. Of course, that leaves a catch 22 in that we don't know how many folks would be staying there. We are trying to come up with some way to work around that.

Anyway, they said they have plenty of rooms available at both places for that weekend. And, there is an event going on in Bayfield that weekend too. Folks could geocache in the morning and take a Polar Plunge into Lake Superior in the afternoon! Oh, I know, most geocachers wouldn't be interested but I'll bet Zuma would do it. Cool There is a lot of other stuff too including some kite boarding, a chance to run a sled dog team, and more: Bayfield Winter Event

Anyway, we are going to go ahead with a hike to the ice caves on Saturday, March 6th. Whether there will be a Saturday night meet and greet event or not is something still being worked on. If you are thinking of coming for the ice cave trip it would help us out to know if anybody/ how many would be interested in a Saturday night meet and greet event in Bayfield?

sweetlife
WGA Board Member
WGA Board Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:59 pm Reply with quote Back to top

We would be interested in going but do the hotels have WI Fi???

Val would not be able to do the hike, but would not want to leave her behind with out internet access.

we would stay for the weekend, and would be up for the meet and greet.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
One Paddle Short
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Ack,

The having a room to hold an event isn't going well. We'd need to have 10 rooms rented to use the meeting room for free. Otherwise I have to put down $250 bucks (Not going to happen). So, looks like we'll just plan on a hike to the ice caves, and perhaps spend some time at the bar in the hotel on Saturday night.

Team Black-Cat
WGA Webmaster
WGA Webmaster

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:20 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Bar?!? Nobody mentioned a bar before! Laughing
As much as I would like to make this one, it's still to far away to say for sure. The pictures are amazing.

View next topic
View previous topic