49.png BOD Info Center

17.png Forums
16.png New Posts
20.png Unanswered Posts

calendar_day.png Upcoming Events
mapicon.png Map
29.png Calendar
11.png Submit Event

mapicon.png WGA State Park CachesNew content !

shield_star.png Cache of the Month
mapicon.png Past Winners Map

LonelyCache.png Lonely Cache Game
mapicon.png Current Map
26.png Scoreboard
11.png Submit Report

rescueiconsm.png Cache Rescue
11.png Submit a Mission

icon_community.gif Members
27.png Your Account
47.png Private Messages
contact_blue.png WGA Member Map
Geocaching_LIVE_poweredby_16.png GC.COM Authorization

icon_members.gif News
tree-T.gif Topics
tree-T.gif Archives
tree-L.gif Submit News

image_cultured.png Photo Gallery
tree-T.gif Updates
tree-L.gif Popular

shield.png Fun Stuff
28.png Recent Logs
TB.gif Picnic to Picnic TB Race Standings
TB.gif WGA Hauler

49.png Board of Directors

Contact Us

Facebook

Wisconsin Geocaching Association

Follow Us

Twitter Button

Subscribe to Newsletter

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

Geocaching.com Search
View Search Syntax

COTM
Winner -
August 2014 Northern Zone:
WSQ Gordon Cemetery

Winner -
August 2014 Northeast Zone:
Trout Haven

Winner -
August 2014 West Central Zone:
WISCONSIN DELORME CHALLENGE

Winner -
August 2014 South Central Zone:
Capitol Punishment

Winner -
August 2014 Southeast Zone:
Wisconsin Homestead - Emslie Farm

Winner -
August 2014 Series of the Month:
Classic Childrens Books

More Info >>>

Wisconsin Geocaching Association: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
gotta run
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 6:27 am Reply with quote Back to top

There are various lakes where a small public access boat landing exists, but the rest of the shoreline is private property. I'd like to place a "boat needed" cache but there is no other public property to put a cache. The obvious solution is to find a landowner who doesn't mind if I hang something from one of their shoreline trees but I am looking for other ideas. No I do not want to make a SCUBA cache. Any suggestions/examples?

Lostby7
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 6:44 am Reply with quote Back to top

I have been looking into this and the state provides water rights to folks on any "navigable" waters....streams, lakes etc. The state owns the land under all navigable lakes, ponds and rivers. Maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but from my readings it looks like we might be able to place caches on navigable waters within the "Ordinary High Water Mark." In other words from the water and up to a point where visible water erosion ends...but of course there are some exceptions to this...

Wisconsin law allows public access to any navigable (a small craft may float down the water at any point in the year) waters so long as your "Feet are wet." The smallest creeks may present an issue as there the adjacent land owner may actually own the land under the water...but so long as you don't touch ground you are not trespassing.

...but I'm no a lawyer and I don't work for the DNR...and maybe I'm inferring permissions (which still would need to come from the state and not private land owners)....I hope one of our reviewers can provide more information on this.

http://learningstore.uwex.edu/assets/pdfs/g3622.pdf

Last edited by Lostby7 on Mon May 10, 2010 7:14 am; edited 1 time in total 
RSplash40
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 6:57 am Reply with quote Back to top

gotta run wrote:
There are various lakes where a small public access boat landing exists, but the rest of the shoreline is private property. I'd like to place a "boat needed" cache but there is no other public property to put a cache. The obvious solution is to find a landowner who doesn't mind if I hang something from one of their shoreline trees but I am looking for other ideas. No I do not want to make a SCUBA cache. Any suggestions/examples?

Need help on the scuba side? Razz

WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 8:03 am Reply with quote Back to top

RSplash40 wrote:
gotta run wrote:

SCUBA? Isn't that like of version waymarking that no one does? wink

Lostby7
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 8:14 am Reply with quote Back to top

cheezehead wrote:
RSplash40 wrote:
gotta run wrote:

SCUBA? Isn't that like of version waymarking that no one does? wink

I have found that if you can hold your breath long enough even some of the SCUBA caches can be found sans breathing apparatus.

RSplash40
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 8:29 am Reply with quote Back to top

Lostby7 wrote:

I have found that if you can hold your breath long enough even some of the SCUBA caches can be found sans breathing apparatus.

True - the scuba attribute can be misleading at times..I do know of a couple that you'd have to be a heck of a free diver to make it too.

WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 9:04 am Reply with quote Back to top

Lostby7 wrote:
I hope one of our reviewers can provide more information on this.

To clarify, I did ask our reviewers and the general answer is that landowners own the land and what's on it. Ideally I'd like to come up with some caches that could be reached from the boat but are not on land. But if the tree or attachment structure is on land, well there's your problem.

One could approach various landowners at random for explicit pemission but...not real practical. But lacking any publicly owned island or other terra firma, I have no other ideas.

glorkar
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 9:09 am Reply with quote Back to top

It wouldn't necessarily have to be random. Just take a cruise down the shoreline and mark spots that could possibly work. Later, when you get back home, look up who owns the land and do a nice write-up with pictures and such of what you'd like to do and how it would(n't) impact their privacy/lands. If you pick out a bunch of spots, chances are at least one of them would give you the go-ahead. Heck, maybe you could even get some of them to start caching!

Lostby7
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 9:32 am Reply with quote Back to top

gotta run wrote:
Lostby7 wrote:

To clarify, I did ask our reviewers and the general answer is that landowners own the land and what's on it.

Well take a look at chapters one and two of the PDF link I posted above...maybe it will give you some insight into water body ownership....I'm still in the beginning stages of understanding it all. I had hoped that the reviewers were familiar with this topic but I know it can be a bit fuzzy and where fuzz lives so to does caution.

What is clear to me is that you can float / walk on any body of water in the state (with a few specific exceptions) so long as your feet stay wet and you will not be found to be trespassing. Whether or not one can place a cache on the waters bed or within it's "Ordinary High Water Mark" is where it is unclear for me...I think this might be best answered by the DNR or some other state agency.

My best guess to avoid any private ownership issues would be to place a cache on the bed of the river / lake as that is state owned...you'd still need to get state permission though to do so. Perhaps an area of shallow water....a rock outcropping...

labrat_wr
WGA Vice-President
WGA Vice-President

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 10:58 am Reply with quote Back to top

Lostby7 wrote:
....a rock outcropping...

like this? GC1WE0R

All forum posts are the thoughts and opinions of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts and opinions of the WGA Board of Directors 
TyeDyeSkyGuy
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 11:21 am Reply with quote Back to top

Why not just anchor a small buoy?

SammyClaws
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 2:14 pm Reply with quote Back to top

TyeDyeSkyGuy wrote:
Why not just anchor a small buoy?

That wont fly. Buoys are either navigational markers or anchoring a boat. For any other purpose you have to get DNR and permission from the land owners in the area. I know of a group that was trying to put out some ski buoys for a slalom course and they ran into nothing but problems. After a year of trying they finally gave up.

Miata
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 7:02 am Reply with quote Back to top

My fear on a shoreline cache like this, would be people attempting to access the cache via land (trespassing).

I am however envisioning the cache placement you may have in mind and it could work if it were a larger overhanging tree on very undeveloped shoreline.

Undeveloped and remote to me would be the key. With taxes the way they are, I the land owner would not care to see people several times a holiday weekend poking around my shoreline for who knows what reason.

zuma
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 11:28 am Reply with quote Back to top

One alternative that I have been thinking about, and even have a duck for in the garage, but have not found the right spot, is to use a plastic duck, available from hunting stores. You could mount a micro to that, or use it as the first wpt of a multi.

While I have not done this yet for a permanent cache, I did have a temp cache like this at the Lake Wissota Picnic last year. Worked great until a boat ran into it and cut the line. (I placed it too close to where pontoons landed.)

zuma

All posts are the opinions of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the WGA Board of Directors. 
furfool
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 12:31 pm Reply with quote Back to top

gotta run wrote:
Lostby7 wrote:

But if the tree or attachment structure is on land, well there's your problem.

Not necessarily. If any part of the tree growing on your property hangs over the property line and is over my property, I can cut that part off. Maybe the same rule applies in this case. However, I would still take a look and try to contact a land owner for the appropriate permission. You wouldn't want to po somebody and have your cache taken all the time.

View next topic
View previous topic