49.png BOD Info Center

17.png Forums
16.png New Posts
20.png Unanswered Posts

calendar_day.png Upcoming Events
mapicon.png Map
29.png Calendar
11.png Submit Event

mapicon.png WGA State Park CachesNew content !

shield_star.png Cache of the Month
mapicon.png Past Winners Map

LonelyCache.png Lonely Cache Game
mapicon.png Current Map
26.png Scoreboard
11.png Submit Report

rescueiconsm.png Cache Rescue
11.png Submit a Mission

icon_community.gif Members
27.png Your Account
47.png Private Messages
contact_blue.png WGA Member Map
Geocaching_LIVE_poweredby_16.png GC.COM Authorization

icon_members.gif News
tree-T.gif Topics
tree-T.gif Archives
tree-L.gif Submit News

image_cultured.png Photo Gallery
tree-T.gif Updates
tree-L.gif Popular

shield.png Fun Stuff
28.png Recent Logs
TB.gif Picnic to Picnic TB Race Standings
TB.gif WGA Hauler

49.png Board of Directors

Contact Us

Facebook

Wisconsin Geocaching Association

Follow Us

Twitter Button

Subscribe to Newsletter

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

Geocaching.com Search
View Search Syntax

COTM
Winner -
August 2014 Northern Zone:
WSQ Gordon Cemetery

Winner -
August 2014 Northeast Zone:
Trout Haven

Winner -
August 2014 West Central Zone:
WISCONSIN DELORME CHALLENGE

Winner -
August 2014 South Central Zone:
Capitol Punishment

Winner -
August 2014 Southeast Zone:
Wisconsin Homestead - Emslie Farm

Winner -
August 2014 Series of the Month:
Classic Childrens Books

More Info >>>

Wisconsin Geocaching Association: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
glorkar
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:27 pm Reply with quote Back to top

CacheARRRS wrote:
I own a 09 Xb... LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE IT....

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?guid=8bce608f-c4f4-4ea1-9314-c1363e7f0e9c

Not as eye catching as the earlier versions...but the first time I could convince the wife to look at one..

You know, I actually like the second gen xb better. Not quite as boxy, a little more sleek. Still different, but I don't think it looks as...idk, cheap? I was actually toying with the idea of getting one, but with the Cooper, we really needed something bigger.

glorkar
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:32 am Reply with quote Back to top

Sad No go on the Mazda. Didn't notice it when I test drove it the first time, but when I went back with the gf, she noticed all sorts of cigarette burns on the rear seats. Back to the drawing board. Sad as it is, not sure if I want a Mazda at all now. There's a dealership in Neenah with a few cars I'm going to check out in the next couple of days. Here's the list of what they have that I might be interested in:

2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP
$8995
63,xxx miles

2006 Pontiac G6 GTP
$10,995
63,xxx miles

2003 Acura RSX
$9995
66,xxx miles

2001 Jaguar S-Type
$9995
42,xxx miles

2001 BMW 325i
$7995
96,xxx miles

2006 Dodge Magnum
$6995
100,xxx miles

We'll have to see if any of those pan out. I'm bummed, but I guess I just wasn't meant to have that other car and there must be something better out there just waiting for me to claim it Very Happy

TyeDyeSkyGuy
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:53 am Reply with quote Back to top

Just my opinion, cause I'm trying to help, so take this as you will.

All the GM's, skip. Really, they have to catch up with every manufacturer on the planet now. I still know plenty of people from when I worked at GM. If the cars didn't suck bad enough in the 90's and early 00's, now they cut corners where they shouldn't. It's all I'll say.

Acura RSX is a great car. Based on the same platform of the Honda Accord, but do your research on who owned it. It's another boy racer car.

Jaguar is one of my fav cars, but there's a reason that Jag is only $10k. No one wants them, and for good reason. They spend a lot of they're lives in the shop. And you think a Bimmer is expensive to fix?

Dodge Magnum with 100k? Do yourself a favor. Go test drive it. But first, get in the car by yourself and just close the driver door (with all other doors closed of course). Keep your ears open, as you do, then decide whether to even drive it. Serious, it's worth the trip just to experience this one time. Very Happy

Be patient and you'll find a better car, a better deal and walk away happy about the transition.

Hope this helps, and again, these are only my opinions. Smile

glorkar
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:58 am Reply with quote Back to top

I think the jag and the G6 are off the list.

The GP I'm still considering. I've had fairly good luck with GM actually. And it's low enough miles so that by the time I pay it off, I should have a couple good years before things start going wrong (in theory of course.)

Never sat in a Magnum, but I do like how they look Smile I'll have to try that closed door test you mentioned.

I know what you mean with the RSX. Looking at the vehicle history report, I'm not sure what kind of drivers it's had. There were three total. The first owner hit a pedestrian. The third was in a car/car accident (minor damage.)

The salesperson at the Mazda dealership tried to convince me that leasing was the way to go. As much as they tried to explain it, it never did make sense to me. I suppose it makes sense if you are the sort of person that needs a new vehicle every three years. I don't. I buy a car and run it until it's dead. Usually somewhere in the neighborhood of 6-7 years. I guess that's not normal. Personally I like those few years with no car payment. With a lease, it's more expensive if you buy the car at the end, and if you don't, you pretty much just have continual car payments for the rest of your life. Not really seeing an upside there.

TyeDyeSkyGuy
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:16 am Reply with quote Back to top

The salesman told you about the lease because its usually an easier sale to someone whom has never leased. Even if you never told him/her, believe me, he/she can smell it. Generally, a lease is $500 in the pocket of the salesman, not always, but often enough that its worth the push.

There is ONLY ONE REASON to lease a car. You can generally afford more car, for less payment. That's it, there is no other advantage to the general consumer, though for some, leasing IS a great option. Like you said, for people who want a new car every few years.

For instance, in 2007 I leased a car for the X wife. It was the CX7 I spoke of earlier. It was a $27k car we leased for $229 a month with only $1000 down. The dealer even paid our tax title and license to keep us at the advertised price and make the sale.

glorkar
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:58 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Updated list:

2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP
$8995
63,xxx miles

2003 Acura RSX
$9995
66,xxx miles

2001 BMW 325i
$7995
96,xxx miles

2006 Dodge Magnum
$6995
100,xxx miles

2002 Lexus ES300
$10,995
90,xxx miles

2002 Audi A6 3.0 Quattro
$8995
98,xxx miles

2002 Subaru Outback H6
$9995
86,xxx miles

2003 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS
$9995
65,xxx miles

TyeDyeSkyGuy
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:38 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Now you have some choices! The last 4 are all great cars with outstanding reliability and no major downfalls, with the Audi as the only exception.

The Audi is a great car to drive, but 2002 was a BAD year for the A6. It's still a great car, but it's a crap shoot. Some are reliable as Toyota's, and others will nickle and dime you to death. I've seen some that never had issues and have 150k on them. Others that have had transmissions replaced twice before the 100k mark. My personal opinion is that it's all in the way the car was driven by the previous owner. Personally, I'd love one, but only with an extended warranty, and full disclosure from the previous owner.

The Lexus is a re-badged, and upgraded Camry, but worth it, especially used. Change the oil and it'll last a long long time. Essentially bulletproof.

Both Subaru's are great cars with excellent reliability. My only concern would be the 2.5RS and it's possible boy racer background. MANY MANY of these cars were adult owned and driven, but make sure you check the history, and keep an eye out again for any evidence of former modification. It's doubtful that the 2.5 was modded simply for the fact that it's a non-turbo, but better safe than sorry. Smile

glorkar
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:59 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the input again TDSG!

Waiting on the history reports for the four additions as they didn't have them posted online.

I've always liked Audi's, but it does seem like the lower-end models have more problems.

I'm aware of the Lexus/Toyota brands. The Lexus does offer a few upgrades that aren't available with the Toyota (ie leather, some nifty steering stuff, electronics)

My main draw for the Subaru's is the AWD. The Outback I found is actually a sedan too. It's a little more unique and that's what draws me to it. The fact that it has the 6cyl engine is a nice little bonus too.
The 2.5RS I have the same concerns that you mentioned. I do also agree that being the non-turbo is actually a good thing as far as past abuse goes.

TyeDyeSkyGuy
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:11 am Reply with quote Back to top

I think you're on the right track with the outback, they are GREAT cars, and they'll take you anywhere. I nice cache-mobile to say the least!

glorkar
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:26 am Reply with quote Back to top

Test drove the two Subarus last night. The Impreza RS is out. It's in good condition cosmetically, but I just can't get over the piston slap at low RPMs. And apparently the four cylinders have issues with the heads.
The Outback on the other hand is beautiful all around. It's the VDC edition, so it's pretty much top of the line. It was so quiet and so smooth. Gonna take the gf back tomorrow to see if she likes it. If she does, this may be the winner Smile

On a side note, if I do get it, I can finally dust off those old cassette tapes (has cassette and cd!)

glorkar
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:50 am Reply with quote Back to top

Linky for the Outback: 2002 Outback

CacheARRRS
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:31 pm Reply with quote Back to top

glorkar wrote:
CacheARRRS wrote:
I own a 09 Xb... LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE IT....

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?guid=8bce608f-c4f4-4ea1-9314-c1363e7f0e9c

Not as eye catching as the earlier versions...but the first time I could convince the wife to look at one..

You know, I actually like the second gen xb better. Not quite as boxy, a little more sleek. Still different, but I don't think it looks as...idk, cheap? I was actually toying with the idea of getting one, but with the Cooper, we really needed something bigger.

Have you SAT in one?? our XB has more passenger room in it than our full sized ford explorer. Really. The back seats are palatial!! This weekend, I had a 6'3" teenager, a 240 pound sister-in-law, AND a full sized car seat in the back, with nary a complaint.

I am 6'3", LARGE bodied dude, and I have more room in the front that in our Explorer.

If it's internal size holding you back..... try one out, you will be SHOCKED!!

That being said, all this new car talk has me in the market... we are dropping the 97 explorer....I want a Jeep!

TyeDyeSkyGuy
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:24 pm Reply with quote Back to top

glorkar wrote:
Linky for the Outback: 2002 Outback

Very Nice! If you get it, and after the new car worries go away and you get your first scratch, PLEASE don't be affraid to take it in the dirt and gravel. You don't have to beat it to have fun with it. It really will take you to places you've never been!

glorkar
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:09 pm Reply with quote Back to top

CacheARRRS wrote:

That being said, all this new car talk has me in the market... we are dropping the 97 explorer....I want a Jeep!

Kinda figured they are roomier than they look. We say the same thing with the Cooper all the time Smile I actually wanted a slightly bigger vehicle for the winter seasons. Ground clearance is definitely an issue with a smaller car.
And Good luck with the Jeep! You gonna get one of the new Wrangler Limiteds?

TyeDyeSkyGuy wrote:

Very Nice! If you get it, and after the new car worries go away and you get your first scratch, PLEASE don't be affraid to take it in the dirt and gravel. You don't have to beat it to have fun with it. It really will take you to places you've never been!

It's not a brand spankin' new vehicle, so scratches are not something I'm gonna worry about Smile I'd love to take it off the beaten trail, I'll just have to find a good spot to do it Twisted Evil

TyeDyeSkyGuy
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:38 pm Reply with quote Back to top

glorkar wrote:
CacheARRRS wrote:

Kinda figured they are roomier than they look. We say the same thing with the Cooper all the time Smile I actually wanted a slightly bigger vehicle for the winter seasons. Ground clearance is definitely an issue with a smaller car.
And Good luck with the Jeep! You gonna get one of the new Wrangler Limiteds?

TyeDyeSkyGuy wrote:

It's not a brand spankin' new vehicle, so scratches are not something I'm gonna worry about Smile I'd love to take it off the beaten trail, I'll just have to find a good spot to do it Twisted Evil

Smile I meant the first scratch you put on it! Laughing

View next topic
View previous topic