49.png BOD Info Center

17.png Forums
16.png New Posts
20.png Unanswered Posts

calendar_day.png Upcoming Events
mapicon.png Map
29.png Calendar
11.png Submit Event

mapicon.png WGA State Park CachesNew content !

shield_star.png Cache of the Month
mapicon.png Past Winners Map

LonelyCache.png Lonely Cache Game
mapicon.png Current Map
26.png Scoreboard
11.png Submit Report

rescueiconsm.png Cache Rescue
11.png Submit a Mission

icon_community.gif Members
27.png Your Account
47.png Private Messages
contact_blue.png WGA Member Map
Geocaching_LIVE_poweredby_16.png GC.COM Authorization

icon_members.gif News
tree-T.gif Topics
tree-T.gif Archives
tree-L.gif Submit News

image_cultured.png Photo Gallery
tree-T.gif Updates
tree-L.gif Popular

shield.png Fun Stuff
28.png Recent Logs
TB.gif Picnic to Picnic TB Race Standings
TB.gif WGA Hauler

49.png Board of Directors

Contact Us

Facebook

Wisconsin Geocaching Association

Follow Us

Twitter Button

Subscribe to Newsletter

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

Geocaching.com Search
View Search Syntax

COTM
Winner -
July 2014 Northern Zone:
Call Box

Winner -
July 2014 Northeast Zone:
Twisted Metal

Winner -
July 2014 West Central Zone:
The Island

Winner -
July 2014 South Central Zone:
Puzzle of Books

Winner -
July 2014 Southeast Zone:
Make do with what you have

Winner -
July 2014 Series of the Month:
Door County Barn Quilt Series

More Info >>>

Wisconsin Geocaching Association: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Captain and Mate
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:21 am Reply with quote Back to top

Please be aware that I'm not posting this to start another argument about the bill. This is FYI only. If you're ok with what follows..fine. I have no desire to change your mind. However, since the media is not focused on some of the aspects of the bill, I thought the following list might be of interest. Here are some items I received today:

The Budget Repair Bill will do the following:
• Allows the State to take out an additional 200 million in loans,putting the State farther in debt Page 30, Section 63
• Cuts off all State aid to municipalities. Page 135 – 136 Section 9211, Page 58, Section 148
• Cuts off all State aid to Public k- 12 Schools. “About 900 million dollars total”Page 135 – 136 Section 9211, page 58 Section 148 • Cuts off all State aid to University Wisconsin Schools “This will cause the tuition at UW's to go up 26% over the next two years” Page 135 – 136 Section 9211
• The state will lose 46 million in Federal Grants to Public Transit. “The federal government requires that public transit workers have collective bargaining.”Page 63 – 109 Sections 163- 314
• Allows the State to take 28 million from Employee Trust Fund, “This is the State Employee's Pension Fund, they will use the money to pay the States portion of State Employee's Medical and Pension contributions until 2013” Page 125, Section 9115
• In 2013 the State will no longer pay anything towards State Employee's Medical and Pension Fund, State Employee's will be required to pay the entire cost of Medical and Pension. “Roughly about $1500 per month for each State Employee.Page 58 Section 62.623
• Limits the right to collectively bargain for all employees who are not public safety employees (general employees) to the subject of base wages. Page 63 – 109 Sections 163- 314

gkrone
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:57 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Captain and Mate wrote:
• In 2013 the State will no longer pay anything towards State Employee's Medical and Pension Fund, State Employee's will be required to pay the entire cost of Medical and Pension. “Roughly about $1500 per month for each State Employee.Page 58 Section 62.623

Interesting, That means half of my wife's (teacher) salary each month will be going away.

How long before the private sector catches on to this and gets a law passed where they don't have to pay it either?

Vegas Gamblers
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:38 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Sorry Captain and Mate. Here is 62.623. I see that is says pay half not all cost and it only applies to a 1st class city. The only first class city in the state is Milwaukee so it will not apply to everyone. The part that I bolded is saying that the employer can not pay for any of the employees half. I think I read this correctly.

62.623 Payment of contributions in an employee retirement system of
a 1st class city. Beginning on the effective date of this section .... [LRB inserts date],
in any employee retirement system of a 1st class city, except as otherwise provided
in a collective bargaining agreement entered into under subch. IV of ch. 111,
employees shall pay half of all actuarially required contributions for funding benefits
under the retirement system. The employer may not pay on behalf of an employee
any of the employee’s share of the actuarially required contributions

CodeJunkie
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:07 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Captain and Mate wrote:

I'm not quite sure this reads the same as what the document actually says.
Quote:
62.623 Payment of contributions in an employee retirement system of
a 1st class city. Beginning on the effective date of this section .... [LRB inserts date],
in any employee retirement system of a 1st class city, except as otherwise provided
in a collective bargaining agreement entered into under subch. IV of ch. 111,
employees shall pay half of all actuarially required contributions for funding benefits
under the retirement system. The employer may not pay on behalf of an employee
any of the employee’s share of the actuarially required contributions.

I'm not a lawyer and I'm not taking sides at this point, but I would interpret this to apply to "retirees" only. If this is correct, then it's exactly the same as many of us private company employees that can extend our health care upon retirement, but we have to pay the full premium.

CodeJunkie
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:15 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Captain and Mate wrote:

• Cuts off all State aid to municipalities. Page 135 – 136 Section 9211, Page 58, Section 148
• Cuts off all State aid to Public k- 12 Schools. “About 900 million dollars total”Page 135 – 136 Section 9211, page 58 Section 148
• Cuts off all State aid to University Wisconsin Schools “This will cause the tuition at UW's to go up 26% over the next two years” Page 135 – 136 Section 9211

I'm also confused about the cited references (pages / sections) in these items as the text I see in these sections doesn't appear to say anything about these topics.

My link to the budget bill is: http://legis.wisconsin.gov/JR1SB-11.pdf

Vegas Gamblers
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:32 pm Reply with quote Back to top

CodeJunkie wrote:
Captain and Mate wrote:

• Cuts off all State aid to Public k- 12 Schools. “About 900 million dollars total”Page 135 – 136 Section 9211, page 58 Section 148
• Cuts off all State aid to University Wisconsin Schools “This will cause the tuition at UW's to go up 26% over the next two years” Page 135 – 136 Section 9211

I'm also confused about the cited references (pages / sections) in these items as the text I see in these sections doesn't appear to say anything about these topics.

My link to the budget bill is: http://legis.wisconsin.gov/JR1SB-11.pdf

Thanks CJ, I was going to check the other "facts" but I ran out of time. I am using the same link to the bill.

Braid Beards Gang
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:10 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I wasn't going to post on this thread at all, but I need to say you can not believe everything that the Union Folks or Republican Supporters are saying in their e-mail blasts. The most sensational bullet points are fraudulent scare tactics or rosy depictions of the future.

WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:13 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Braid Beard's Gang wrote:
I wasn't going to post on this thread at all, but I need to say you can not believe everything that the Union Folks or Republican Supporters are saying in their e-mail blasts. The most sensational bullet points are fraudulent scare tactics or rosy depictions of the future.

Agreed!

Captain and Mate
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:25 pm Reply with quote Back to top

We regret any errors in our post as we relied on a source that we trusted. Obviously, reading this bill can lead to a major headache pretty quickly. We reread P.125 Sec.9115 (the part about taking money from the pension trust fund) and this does state that the $28 million will go to pay health care costs, although we're not seeing the part about the state not paying anything after 2013. However, again, the legalese is challenging for a layman to interpret. Other analyses we've read do mention full employee contributions after 2013, so that remains unclear to us.

Again, we apologize that our post contained inaccuracies. However, our main purpose was to call attention to the fact that this bill is pretty far-reaching and to get folks to look at it more closely, not to argue whether or not it's a good idea. In that, we hope we succeeded.

Vegas Gamblers
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:42 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Captain and Mate wrote:
We regret any errors in our post as we relied on a source that we trusted. Obviously, reading this bill can lead to a major headache pretty quickly. We reread P.125 Sec.9115 (the part about taking money from the pension trust fund) and this does state that the $28 million will go to pay health care costs, although we're not seeing the part about the state not paying anything after 2013. However, again, the legalese is challenging for a layman to interpret. Other analyses we've read do mention full employee contributions after 2013, so that remains unclear to us.

Again, we apologize that our post contained inaccuracies. However, our main purpose was to call attention to the fact that this bill is pretty far-reaching and to get folks to look at it more closely, not to argue whether or not it's a good idea. In that, we hope we succeeded.

No need to apologize. This just makes BBG's point more relivent. Thanks for checking back in.

gotta run
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:14 pm Reply with quote Back to top

"We have to pass the bill so you can find out what's in it."

CodeJunkie
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:13 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I searched the whole thing for "Vaseline" and didn't find it. Then I checked the Ammendments document and came up empty also. Somebody better call and have them fix this ASAP, unless of course we now all have to supply our own. Laughing Laughing Laughing

CodeJunkie
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:15 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Captain and Mate wrote:
The legalese is challenging for a layman to interpret.

Challenging? I'd say dang near impossible. I read, reread, reread, and then threw up my hands on many pieces. I suppose if you had the inside scoop on Section x.y (and all the other references) it might make some sense, but not to me.

Captain and Mate
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:25 am Reply with quote Back to top

Well, we're just wondering if the people who have to vote on this have read it and understand what it's going to do. Trying to do so was an eye-opener for us. Confused

Lostby7
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:45 am Reply with quote Back to top

Personally I'm looking forward to reelecting all the folks who get recalled....Now that will be a fun election.

View next topic
View previous topic