49.png BOD Info Center

17.png Forums
16.png New Posts
20.png Unanswered Posts

calendar_day.png Upcoming Events
mapicon.png Map
29.png Calendar
11.png Submit Event

mapicon.png WGA State Park CachesNew content !

shield_star.png Cache of the Month
mapicon.png Past Winners Map

LonelyCache.png Lonely Cache Game
mapicon.png Current Map
26.png Scoreboard
11.png Submit Report

rescueiconsm.png Cache Rescue
11.png Submit a Mission

icon_community.gif Members
27.png Your Account
47.png Private Messages
contact_blue.png WGA Member Map
Geocaching_LIVE_poweredby_16.png GC.COM Authorization

icon_members.gif News
tree-T.gif Topics
tree-T.gif Archives
tree-L.gif Submit News

image_cultured.png Photo Gallery
tree-T.gif Updates
tree-L.gif Popular

shield.png Fun Stuff
28.png Recent Logs
TB.gif Picnic to Picnic TB Race Standings
TB.gif WGA Hauler

49.png Board of Directors

Contact Us

Facebook

Wisconsin Geocaching Association

Follow Us

Twitter Button

Subscribe to Newsletter

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

Geocaching.com Search
View Search Syntax

COTM
Winner -
July 2014 Northern Zone:
Call Box

Winner -
July 2014 Northeast Zone:
Twisted Metal

Winner -
July 2014 West Central Zone:
The Island

Winner -
July 2014 South Central Zone:
Puzzle of Books

Winner -
July 2014 Southeast Zone:
Make do with what you have

Winner -
July 2014 Series of the Month:
Door County Barn Quilt Series

More Info >>>

Wisconsin Geocaching Association: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Trekkin and Birdin
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:10 am Reply with quote Back to top

I just want to be sure I'm understanding how this all works before I destroy prior efforts. I had installed two apps to my iPod. Now I have purchased and downloaded two more apps. If I understand the process correctly, I need to re-install all four apps if I want to retain the ones I'd installed earlier when I sync the two new ones.

Correct? Is it kind of like loading new caches into my Oregon? The files disappear each time new stuff is dropped in unless I'm careful to include the old in some way?

Lostby7
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:57 am Reply with quote Back to top

New apps are just added to the ones which already exist. There is no need to delete / reload old apps. Apple thankfully is not as backward as Garmin in this respect.

Trekkin and Birdin
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:04 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Okay...so then why does it ask me if I'm sure, because I'll lose everything? That's what had me confused.

And yes, I do wish Garmin could work that out. I've learned to drop "caches of interest" by loading them onto the Oregon one at a time directly from gc. Those don't drop out unless I do it manually from my Garmin folder.

Lostby7
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:30 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Are you syncing with a different Ipod....or on a different computer?

Trekkin and Birdin
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:58 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Same iPod and same computer, but one of the apps did tell me I needed to authorize this computer. Everything's cool, nothing was lost. I have yet to put any actual music on the thing, LOL, but I have a great Bird field guide, the Geosphere app and now a first aid/CPR one and a Wisconsin butterfly app. Can you believe there are NO apps for frog id that include their calls? My bird one has sound files galore, I love it. Couldn't find a decent one for dragonflies or wildflowers, either.

Lostby7
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:08 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Trekkin and Birdin wrote:
Same iPod and same computer, but one of the apps did tell me I needed to authorize this computer.

Itunes can be finicky about authorizations; at times it forgets this has been done already. I too have a first aid app on my Ipod and on my Android phone. Never know....I have done first aid training for the past 15 years but I still get confused sometimes and they keep changing stuff on me.

Trekkin and Birdin
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:22 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The app will need updating, but I guess that will be coming soon. We've both done first aid and CPR every year, but you're right.....nice to have it right there in front of you if needed. Just seemed like a good way to spend four bucks.

CodeJunkie
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:43 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Those all sound like some cool apps. Would you be willing to share the titles so I can look them up?

BTW - I have very little "music" on my iPod Touch. Geosphere with tons of data grouped by city for the on the fly caching, another group with all my "solved / unfound" puzzles, and another group with all my "Owned" caches (this was one of the best things I loaded).

I also use it for audiobooks that I download for free from the libraries website. Another huge benefit for those of us that are cheap. Spending 1:45 minutes in the car each day is a great way to "read".

Trekkin and Birdin
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:06 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The bird app is called iBird Pro. It's kind of expensive for an app, but it was on sale for half price this spring. Still cheaper than the umpteen million different field guides and song ID tapes I have.

The first aid one is Pocket First Aid and CPR. Arranged logically and clearly, so that if you were out and needed the info, it would be quick to find and easy to follow. I know it's not quite up to date, but that stuff changes almost every time we've had to be re-certified, anyway.

The butterfly one is Butterflies of Wisconsin. My only complaint with that one is they don't tell you the average size of them. So it might look big in the photo in the app, but might be a little thing.

Those are the ones I have, plus geosphere. I'd be interested to hear what other non-music apps people have on their iPods and how useful they find them.

CodeJunkie
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:14 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Starbucks Mobile Card - You can use this app to pay at Starbucks. (Free WiFi at Starbucks also)
PIGO - WhereIGo app - works better with iPhone than the iPod Touch, but if you're patient it can work depending on the zone sizes.
Converter+ - I got this as a free or 0.99 download and the amount of numerical convesions it does is amazing.
YouVersion Bible App - Great for bible study at church or the library to avoid carrying a bulky bible.
Culvers - Flavor of the day, locations, flavor descriptions (my only complaint is it requires a WiFi connection - but they now offer free WiFi at all locations from what I understand).

hack1of2
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:41 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I have had geosphere on my iPhone for quite a while, and have never used it because it doesn't seem to do anything that the groundspeak app already does. I just figured it would be good to use if the groundspeak app ever got corrupted. So what's the deal with the geosphere app? Why do you use it?

hack1of2
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:13 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Trekkin and Birdin wrote:
I'd be interested to hear what other non-music apps people have on their iPods and how useful they find them.

VLINGO - A voice command app that lets you speak into the microphone to search words or topics on Google and find places/addresses on the Google map program. Very useful, use it every day.
GENIUS SCAN - A document scanner, can instantly email as PDFs instead of using a scanner in your home or office. Use it for work almost daily to send scanned docs.
AROUNDME - Search for POIs nearest you in many categories. Unlike Google maps, this app will show you a LIST of what's near you, in order by distance, in various categories.
FACEBOOK - It's Facebook! Some use it frequently.
BING - I use it sometimes for detailed satellite maps that are more detailed than Google satellite images. A good backup when needed out in the field if you have an iPhone.
REDLASER and ATTSCANNER - Can scan bar codes, including those that are often used on mystery caches
CAMERA GENIUS - Adds additional options to the camera, such as a 10 sec timer, burst mode, and anti-shake. Is helpful at times for certain situations.
SPEEDTEST - Test your internet connection speed whether via cellular coverage or wi-fi. Geeks love it.
IDRIVE LITE - Makes an online backup of your phone/address book that can restore if crashed or if you get a new unit
TRANSLATOR+ - Translate to or from many different languages. Just in case...
TRIPADVISOR - User reviews of hotels, restaurants, etc. I love this app!
iTV- A TV Guide, very useful for me, well laid out.
STANZA - A Book reader
JUST ONE WORD BIBLE + - Many translations of the Bible (must be online to read). There's other apps that will store the entire Bible offline on your iPod, but usually only in the KJV version.
JS ONLINE - Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel online newspaper
USA TODAY - newspaper
MYCADDIE PRO - A golf GPS for iPhone. I have a dedicated golf GPS but this is an OK backup.
CAR FINDER - GPS for iPhone to mark where you parked.

There are several worthy music apps I could recommend, but you asked about non-music apps.

[Smile]

CodeJunkie
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:17 pm Reply with quote Back to top

hack1of2 wrote:
So what's the deal with the geosphere app? Why do you use it?

I've never used the Groundspeak app, but I love GeoSphere.

Pro's
* It supports GSAK notes so when I export data from GSAK (i.e. my Solved / Unfound) puzzle list it contains all the notes I entered along with the corrected coordinates for the real final location.
* It has the concept of "groups" which allows you to sort caches. You can load an entire GPX / PQ file into a group or manipulate the data cache by cache. I have one group for all my "Owned" caches complete with the puzzle finals and all the associated notes for the puzzles which is great to have handy for the PAF's. I have another group which is just my "Solved / Unfound" puzzles. I also have about 15 other groups which are refreshed periodically from PQ's. I've defined them by geographic area (Green Bay, Appleton, Neenah, Oshkosh, Madison, Milwaukee, Waupaca, etc.) I have a couple thousand caches in the datastore but can turn on / off whichever I want when I want. This is very handy for those spur of the moment trips to gosh knows where when you want to grab a quick cache.
* It stores the field notes and uploads directly to GC.com at the end of the day so I don't have to keep track of which caches I did.

Cons
* I haven't run into any yet which is quite amazing considering I'm a programmer.

View next topic
View previous topic