49.png BOD Info Center

17.png Forums
16.png New Posts
20.png Unanswered Posts

calendar_day.png Upcoming Events
mapicon.png Map
29.png Calendar
11.png Submit Event

mapicon.png WGA State Park CachesNew content !

shield_star.png Cache of the Month
mapicon.png Past Winners Map

LonelyCache.png Lonely Cache Game
mapicon.png Current Map
26.png Scoreboard
11.png Submit Report

rescueiconsm.png Cache Rescue
11.png Submit a Mission

icon_community.gif Members
27.png Your Account
47.png Private Messages
contact_blue.png WGA Member Map
Geocaching_LIVE_poweredby_16.png GC.COM Authorization

icon_members.gif News
tree-T.gif Topics
tree-T.gif Archives
tree-L.gif Submit News

image_cultured.png Photo Gallery
tree-T.gif Updates
tree-L.gif Popular

shield.png Fun Stuff
28.png Recent Logs
TB.gif Picnic to Picnic TB Race Standings
TB.gif WGA Hauler

49.png Board of Directors

Contact Us

Facebook

Wisconsin Geocaching Association

Follow Us

Twitter Button

Subscribe to Newsletter

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

Geocaching.com Search
View Search Syntax

COTM
Winner -
July 2014 Northern Zone:
Call Box

Winner -
July 2014 Northeast Zone:
Twisted Metal

Winner -
July 2014 West Central Zone:
The Island

Winner -
July 2014 South Central Zone:
Puzzle of Books

Winner -
July 2014 Southeast Zone:
Make do with what you have

Winner -
July 2014 Series of the Month:
Door County Barn Quilt Series

More Info >>>

Wisconsin Geocaching Association: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
beccaday
WGA Secretary
WGA Secretary

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:09 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I have never deleted a log because of incorrect answers and believe me, I've gotten many with incorrect answers. I just want people to show that they were actually there and put in a little bit of thought into it. I bet that a lot of EarthCache owners are like that so you shouldn't be too intimidated by the process. It's the no answers at all thing that really drives me crazy.

Disclaimer: This post and the contents of any links or images attached is the opinion of this poster and not that of the WGA or its Board of Directors. 
Northwoods Tom
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:20 pm Reply with quote Back to top

beccaday wrote:
I have never deleted a log because of incorrect answers and believe me, I've gotten many with incorrect answers. I just want people to show that they were actually there and put in a little bit of thought into it. I bet that a lot of EarthCache owners are like that so you shouldn't be too intimidated by the process. It's the no answers at all thing that really drives me crazy.

The more E.C.'s I do the more I enjoy the exchange with the owners when one is received. So far all of the exchanges have been very nice and helpful. A category of cache that I avoided in the beginning that has now become one I put on the list to check out. Thanks to all of those who put in the time and effort to create them.

JimandLinda
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:52 am Reply with quote Back to top

How strange...

I just received correct answers on our 1 EC, but no one has visited in a month!

Correct answers and no "Found it" log? Confused

beccaday
WGA Secretary
WGA Secretary

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:49 am Reply with quote Back to top

LOL! I wish I had that problem! Actually, every once in a while I do get the answers first and they wait for confirmation to log it. But that doesn't happen too often.

Disclaimer: This post and the contents of any links or images attached is the opinion of this poster and not that of the WGA or its Board of Directors. 
Lostby7
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:10 am Reply with quote Back to top

***NEVERMIND*** Evil or Very Mad

beccaday
WGA Secretary
WGA Secretary

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:08 am Reply with quote Back to top

Oh boy, I really shouldn't have said that. Just 2 days after I said I've never deleted a log for wrong answers then I am forced into doing so. Here was my email to the armchair logger:

"Hello, I have been debating over the right thing to do in this situation. Clearly you were on vacation in Hawaii back in April but this cache wasn't published until late August. You did not visit the area with the intent of caching. I can't even tell that you visited the area at all because most of your answers are wrong and you don't even have a photo of you in the valley to prove that you were there. I want to maintain the integrity of the EarthCache program so that caches aren't armchair logged and I want to make it fair to people who actually go and do the work to earn their "found it" log. I feel that the right thing to do is to delete your log. I'm sorry, I do not enjoy doing this. I may have felt differently about it if you had told me you visited the area before it was published and asked if it was OK but instead you lied to me in your email and told me you found it with your Canadian cell phone. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me again.

Beccaday"

So what do you think? Was this reasonable?

Lostby7
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:35 am Reply with quote Back to top

To be honest, since the photo requirement was stripped as verification I haven't given much of a damn who or how my ECs are logged. Groundspeak cut off what I feel was the best way to determine a visit and still expects us to protect the integrity of the finds? No, I don't think so.

Unless there is overwhelming evidence that someone didn't visit the location, I could care less about the answers provided. If there is a pic posted I often don't even bother reading the emails.....am I bitter about the EC program and how it's handled? You bet!

Taking away a reliable means of a visits verification has really made the integrity of true finds a thing of the past.

peach107

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:33 am Reply with quote Back to top

i have had the same problem lately. sounds mean but i added a "log will be deleted if answers not recieved" to my cache pages. and so far it has had no effect. still getting no answers with the found logs. whats really sad is when an upper level wga member with 10-15 ec's that they own themselves doesn't send the answers to recently "found" ec's that i own. what's the use of continueing?

CodeJunkie
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:09 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Just like other threads where we've beat the dead horse. Keep the faith though folks. There are still many of us that play by the intent of the CO whether it be physically signing the log on a simple P&G (vs. just a drive by), visit all stages of a multi, solve all the puzzles we claim as found, etc.

EC's are no exception to me. When we were out west earlier in the summer I could have easily armchair logged additional EC's / Virtuals, based on 1/2 correct answers and/or online information. In fact I found much of the info online, but that just helped with pre-educating our kids prior to the trip about what we were going to see and why it was important.

This game has really become all about the numbers and much less to do about the experiences, learning, visting "cool" places, etc. Puzzle solves are passed out like candy to anyone that wants them, EC answers are shared as are the final stage coords for multi's. I've also had cachers tell me flat out they don't bother to get out of the car to sign the log (or find the cache) on low D/T P&G caches (they assume that being in the vicinity is "good enough").

Lostby7
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:26 pm Reply with quote Back to top

CodeJunkie wrote:
Just like other threads where we've beat the dead horse. Keep the faith though folks. There are still many of us that play by the intent of the CO whether it be physically signing the log on a simple P&G (vs. just a drive by), visit all stages of a multi, solve all the puzzles we claim as found, etc.

EC's are no exception to me. When we were out west earlier in the summer I could have easily armchair logged additional EC's / Virtuals, based on 1/2 correct answers and/or online information. In fact I found much of the info online, but that just helped with pre-educating our kids prior to the trip about what we were going to see and why it was important.

This game has really become all about the numbers and much less to do about the experiences, learning, visting "cool" places, etc. Puzzle solves are passed out like candy to anyone that wants them, EC answers are shared as are the final stage coords for multi's. I've also had cachers tell me flat out they don't bother to get out of the car to sign the log (or find the cache) on low D/T P&G caches (they assume that being in the vicinity is "good enough").

Not to derail the thread but I agree with most of what you have posted...and have seen it happen. I did a flurry of P&Gs in West Bend during the event and some were missing...but they were logged as found by some folks anyway.

Also I have seen many times (and recently) where tough hides are reveled to those who ask....

To each their own I guess.

Northwoods Tom
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:25 pm Reply with quote Back to top

CodeJunkie wrote:

DING DING DING! That's the correct answer.

It comes down to an individuals integrity. I care about it when people who are less than forthcoming log a dishonest log but many will slip thru the cracks. I respect those of you who valiantly police the fact but I don't choose to dwell on it. I know that I personally play the game fairly and I can honestly say I do. I also know many individuals that don't, and they choose to be dishonest. Do they derive the same pleasure I do from this game? Maybe? To a great extent? But they also know that others out there will eventually call them on their integrity.

gotta run
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:17 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yet for all the justified grumbling about the game, there are more and more and more caches including ECs placed every day. It seems there is no limit to the number that the game can sustain. What explains the paradox?

Team Deejay
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:38 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I really don't see a large number of EC submissions anymore. Maybe 2-3 a week in Wisconsin (most of which never see publication). The large number of P&Gs put out are usually placed by numbers hounds for other numbers hounds. My typical review night would be 30-40 caches, of which all but 5-10 are roadside park and grabs (usually all placed by the same person or maybe two placers.) As a finder, I now just ignore these most of the time.

View next topic
View previous topic