49.png BOD Info Center

17.png Forums
16.png New Posts
20.png Unanswered Posts

calendar_day.png Upcoming Events
mapicon.png Map
29.png Calendar
11.png Submit Event

mapicon.png WGA State Park CachesNew content !

shield_star.png Cache of the Month
mapicon.png Past Winners Map

LonelyCache.png Lonely Cache Game
mapicon.png Current Map
26.png Scoreboard
11.png Submit Report

rescueiconsm.png Cache Rescue
11.png Submit a Mission

icon_community.gif Members
27.png Your Account
47.png Private Messages
contact_blue.png WGA Member Map
Geocaching_LIVE_poweredby_16.png GC.COM Authorization

icon_members.gif News
tree-T.gif Topics
tree-T.gif Archives
tree-L.gif Submit News

image_cultured.png Photo Gallery
tree-T.gif Updates
tree-L.gif Popular

shield.png Fun Stuff
28.png Recent Logs
TB.gif Picnic to Picnic TB Race Standings
TB.gif WGA Hauler

49.png Board of Directors

Contact Us

Facebook

Wisconsin Geocaching Association

Follow Us

Twitter Button

Subscribe to Newsletter

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

Geocaching.com Search
View Search Syntax

COTM
Winner -
July 2014 Northern Zone:
Call Box

Winner -
July 2014 Northeast Zone:
Twisted Metal

Winner -
July 2014 West Central Zone:
The Island

Winner -
July 2014 South Central Zone:
Puzzle of Books

Winner -
July 2014 Southeast Zone:
Make do with what you have

Winner -
July 2014 Series of the Month:
Door County Barn Quilt Series

More Info >>>

Wisconsin Geocaching Association: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
AuntieNae
WGA Treasurer
WGA Treasurer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:51 pm Reply with quote Back to top

We are seeing the same thing .. a rash of found logs with no email, barely anything to the log .. I have started deleting the log with a note to the cache page welcoming them to relog with an email .. some do, some do not ..

WGA Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:21 pm Reply with quote Back to top

We try to be good about emailing. As we are guilty of logging finds from our phone this year we try to email at the same time and sometimes we don't have good signal. Sometimes the short logs will come from logging on our phones and we found out the hard way that if we log a milestone from home (so we can write more) and the rest from our phone it messes it up. It puts the log we did from the computer as the first one of the day and not our milestone. So we have been logging a short find and then writting a note seperately when we get home on certain caches. Yes, its nice to have it on your phone but a pain to write the longer logs.
As for new cachers yes we feel they just need a mentor of sorts. We have seen so many new cachers on the trail and take the time to explain things. Then we never see a log from them. Our question is how many caches are being found with tbs/coins in them that are going missing because the newbies are coming in and not logging? Or think all other requirements are optional?

beccaday
WGA Secretary
WGA Secretary

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:47 am Reply with quote Back to top

That's really too bad. I love doing EC's! In fact, I rarely log them from my phone because it is so time-consuming to type out all the answers and contact the CO. It's really no excuse, they can be logged much later. Is it really so hard to make a note on a scrap of paper? Ugh!

I just got a note from a potential finder on my WA Rainforest EC. It is probably the easiest EC that I've created. There are 3 answers that you can find from a sign. They got at least part of all 3 wrong, which leads me to believe they didn't actually read the sign they just looked at a map and said, "hey, I went there. I wonder if I remember the answers to this". I have never deleted a log before and I'm hesitant to do it. But seriously?! I'm pretty easy-going with allowing the answers I got but they didn't get a single thing right. Not sure what I should do.

I'm sorry that you aren't getting the answers that you should be getting on your EC's, birdin. But don't stop creating them because I love doing your EC's! The Effigy Mounds EC in particular I really enjoyed. Smile

Disclaimer: This post and the contents of any links or images attached is the opinion of this poster and not that of the WGA or its Board of Directors. 
AstroD-Team
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:48 am Reply with quote Back to top

I just spent the last four days sending emails to owners and resizing pictures for the logs of the 50-60 earthcaches (and virtuals) done in 10 different states over the last two weeks. Was it time consuming on my part? Absolutely, but on the flip side, I got to remember the places we've been too and what made them great. (Like nearly losing the cache printouts over the edge at the Grand Canyon).

I got an email reply from an Earthcache owner who I think sums it up nicely: " Thanks again. We've met some great folks through our earthcaches.
They're predictably the ones whose answers reflect continuing joy in learning more about our amazing, spectacular world."

WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:44 am Reply with quote Back to top

On the other hand, some EC owners are not good at responding either. Sometimes we just don't know if our answer is "right," or we're taking our educated & researched guess not being geologists, or whatever. And I've sent along questions with responses, "We think it's ABC, not sure, can you let us know?," and it goes into a black hole of email.

Lostby7
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:33 pm Reply with quote Back to top

OK what gives? 3 of the last 4 finders of my ECs did not send answers. I gave one "dude" 2 days then just deleted his one word ("awesome") log. He responded with an email calling me an ass. He has found three ECs (and 64 other caches) and should know the drill. I forwarded his remarks to the Frog. The second one not sending me answers this week has only 20 finds and is a bit of a noob still (two word log and all); I sent a reminder email to that team. And yet another one....really? What is the point of putting anything on the page as they are clearly not reading it. Rolling Eyes

grandpa_r
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:11 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Here is an interesting twist to another problem. What does a person do when the CO isnít reachable to answer the question?

To receive credit for this cache please answer the following question:
On the wall of tiles, for whom does the 'Kettle Moraine Chapter' honor?

Team SpongyBrain
Friday, 02 April 2004
E-Mail Address:
The "send message" feature is disabled because this email address has not been validated by the user.

GCB093 The Forgotten War

This cache is located in Plover, WI at the Korean War Veterans Memorial. Take your time here to read about the statues and their symbolism, and to read the dedications on the wall tiles. We also ask that you respect those that are honored here and for those that have served our country, and remove your hat while visiting.

rtrezrsnhvn
WGA Member

Location: Oshkosh...drumming our way thru 1 cache at a time...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:12 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Lostby7 wrote:
OK what gives? 3 of the last 4 finders of my ECs did not send answers. I gave one "dude" 2 days then just deleted his one word ("awesome") log. He responded with an email calling me an ass. He has found three ECs (and 64 other caches) and should know the drill. I forwarded his remarks to the Frog. The second one not sending me answers this week has only 20 finds and is a bit of a noob still (two word log and all); I sent a reminder email to that team. And yet another one....really? What is the point of putting anything on the page as they are clearly not reading it. Rolling Eyes

I've got two ec's that I did today that I need to upload pics and answers for you. I promise not to call you names if you give me some slack Wink

beccaday
WGA Secretary
WGA Secretary

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:18 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I have had many people logging my EC's again now that the weather is nicer. The week of the 4th I think I got a couple a day on my Hall of Mosses GC2DGQ2 EC. A few haven't sent answers. One sent me answers that were completely wrong, like they guessed at them later. I asked if they could at least post a picture of them holding the GPS (I know it's against the rules now but it would at least prove they were caching there). They uploaded a picture of a mushroom, no GPS. I guess I'll let it go but it kind of bugs me. Do they know the hoops I had to jump through to get approval in a National Park?! It was a long process.

Disclaimer: This post and the contents of any links or images attached is the opinion of this poster and not that of the WGA or its Board of Directors. 
Lostby7
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:27 pm Reply with quote Back to top

rtrezrsnhvn wrote:
Lostby7 wrote:

I've got two ec's that I did today that I need to upload pics and answers for you. I promise not to call you names if you give me some slack Wink

I typically don't even give a thought until after several days so you are still in the clear. Once several days go by I check out a finders profile and decide to delete or remind based on lots of factors like their newness to the game, have they done ECs before, are they traveling...the 'Dude" whose log I just deleted gave a one word log so he was already on my sh!+ list. As he also had some finds under his belt it was an easy call to delete the log.

This week I also got a log backdated to a few years before I published the cache. His log was deleted as well due to incorrect answers and the fact that the park has been closed for the better part of two years. The park is closed temporarily due to safety concerns and allowing even a backdated log is asking for trouble with those who gave me permission to have the cache in the park in the first place....always fun when you have a few EarthCaches.

...and ya know what, I was an ass. I could have emailed Dude but his lackluster one word log really didn't inspire me to take the time to remind him of the EC logging requirements.

Lostby7
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:42 pm Reply with quote Back to top

grandpa_r wrote:
Here is an interesting twist to another problem. What does a person do when the CO isnít reachable to answer the question?

Team SpongyBrain
Friday, 02 April 2004
E-Mail Address:
The "send message" feature is disabled because this email address has not been validated by the user.

GCB093 The Forgotten War

This cache is located in Plover, WI at the Korean War Veterans Memorial. Take your time here to read about the statues and their symbolism, and to read the dedications on the wall tiles. We also ask that you respect those that are honored here and for those that have served our country, and remove your hat while visiting.

I believe typically non-responsive owners of Virts have their listings archived by the Frog.

CodeJunkie
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:45 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I hear exactly what you're saying. But be thankful that as an EC owner you have some control over the log. Us puzzle owners have zero control over who logs the caches and how they got the solve. I haven't seen a list of answers to EC questions being distributed like the solves to puzzle finals, so again - All things in moderation.

Walkingadventure
WGA President
WGA President

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:34 am Reply with quote Back to top

Nicely put CJ.

I keep trying to tell myself that as bad as it is, some still have it worse (general life rule).

Lostby7
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:42 am Reply with quote Back to top

AstroD-Team wrote:
I just spent the last four days sending emails to owners and resizing pictures for the logs of the 50-60 earthcaches (and virtuals) done in 10 different states over the last two weeks.

Let me take the opportunity to say...."WOW." I get a bit overwhelmed with 10 virts...organizing the information for 50-60 virts is amazing. I wish I was along for that trip it must have been fantastic!

Trekkin and Birdin
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:57 am Reply with quote Back to top

We've tried to be generous with these non-responders. We wait a few days, and if nothing happens, send a nicely worded, "thanks so much for stopping, now take a few moments to..."

A few more days, we send a reminder with the EC stuff that says that logging requires answers, and a request to give it a try.

At this point, some people do get back to us. Sometimes they apologize but never follow through. Others, they do get us some kind of answers and an explanation of the circumstances, which is completely acceptable to us.

Many more just blow it off. That's when they get the "I'm trying to work with you here, but...." and a deadline for some kind of response or log deletion.

I think many of those we've deleted are people who visit a spot, get home and realize there was an EC there, look through their old vacation photos and pop one in, hoping to get a find. Most of the time, if they at least write back and share the circumstances, enough to show they at least realized they were supposed to learn something, it's good. Most of the time, they never, ever write back.

And we delete the logs. I hate doing it (Trekkin' is the EC enforcer here), but it sets precedent for a bunch of armchair logging if we don't. Same thing with the virtuals we've adopted, although those haven't been so problematic as the ECs. We've logged a considerable number of ECs ourselves, so we understand that it takes some effort and that sometimes life gets in the way before we can send them. Usually I send the answers ahead of logging any finds. That way I don't forget later.

View next topic
View previous topic