49.png BOD Info Center

17.png Forums
16.png New Posts
20.png Unanswered Posts

calendar_day.png Upcoming Events
mapicon.png Map
29.png Calendar
11.png Submit Event

mapicon.png WGA State Park CachesNew content !

shield_star.png Cache of the Month
mapicon.png Past Winners Map

LonelyCache.png Lonely Cache Game
mapicon.png Current Map
26.png Scoreboard
11.png Submit Report

rescueiconsm.png Cache Rescue
11.png Submit a Mission

icon_community.gif Members
27.png Your Account
47.png Private Messages
contact_blue.png WGA Member Map
Geocaching_LIVE_poweredby_16.png GC.COM Authorization

icon_members.gif News
tree-T.gif Topics
tree-T.gif Archives
tree-L.gif Submit News

image_cultured.png Photo Gallery
tree-T.gif Updates
tree-L.gif Popular

shield.png Fun Stuff
28.png Recent Logs
TB.gif Picnic to Picnic TB Race Standings
TB.gif WGA Hauler

49.png Board of Directors

Contact Us

Facebook

Wisconsin Geocaching Association

Follow Us

Twitter Button

Subscribe to Newsletter

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

Geocaching.com Search
View Search Syntax

COTM
Winner -
June 2014 Northern Zone:
Forbidden Fruit

Winner -
June 2014 Northeast Zone:
Wildlife & Travel Bug Sanctuary

Winner -
June 2014 West Central Zone:
Pirates of the Roche-a-Cri

Winner -
June 2014 South Central Zone:
The Big "K"

Winner -
June 2014 Southeast Zone:
Whoomp! There It Is

Winner -
June 2014 Series of the Month:

More Info >>>

Wisconsin Geocaching Association: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Todd300

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:33 pm Reply with quote Back to top

So with such a mild December, I'm sure many of you went out and cached more than you usually do in December. Along the way, you probably set some personal bests for the month of December. I had a great month for December, thanks in part to the mild weather.

Among my personal bests in 3 Decembers of geocaching:

Most caches found - 47. Previous best - just 9. Previous two Decembers were snowy as heck right off the bat. Just no opportunities to geocache as I have no winter gear like snowshoes or a snowmobile.

Most days geocaching - 7. Previous best - 3. 7 days this month is actually the most days of caching for one month in all of 2011 and the most since I cached 8 days in May 2010.

I also had a chance to fill in Christmas Day on the calendar grid. I only have 125 found dates out of the 366 dates so I doubt I'll ever fill the grid. But there is no guarantee that I'll be able to cache on Christmas Day ever again. I could meet a girl and she would not like me caching on the holiday. Or we could get dumped on with a major snowstorm. Or whatever. I know many of you also had Christmas Day to fill in as well too. BigJim even was looking for a cache to get that day as well.

All in all, I had a great month of geocaching for the month of December. How about the rest of you taking advantage of such a mild December? Set any personal bests for December?

BigJim60
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:55 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm at 98 so far this month. Last year I had 56 caches in December, and the year before that I found 20, but I had just started caching then. I cached 18 days this month. I cached 11 days in each of the last 2 Decembers. With the opportunity to go out on Christmas day, I have filled my December calendar. I have 99 days left with 0's.

hack1of2
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:14 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Interesting topic!

So far for this December we've found 118. We plan on caching in Appleton for several hours tomorrow so the total should increase. In December of 2010, our first winter of geocaching, we found 97 with at least one for every day of the month. All of the dates in our calendar are now filled except for February 29th, which we are highly motivated to fill this coming leap year when it arrives. Since we only started a little less than two years ago, and we found caches every day of last winter without a miss, we kind of don't know what it's like to not cache in the winter. We don't own a snowmobile, snowshoes, or a four wheel drive vehicle, although I did get Kim some ice cleats for Christmas that she hasn't had a chance to try out yet. We're fortunate (?) that we live near Milwaukee where there's a few thousand caches to find within about 15 miles. Makes it much easier to handle winter caching. And as some cachers have heard me say, one of my favorite quotes is "there's no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing." Smile

So far we've cached on 24 of the 28 days of December 2011. Last year it was all 31.

We especially liked caching on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day these past two years. I think it will remain part of our holiday tradition. Same thing for New Years Eve and New Years Day. We have special caching plans for New Years Eve; haven't figured out yet what we're doing for January 1st though.

sweetlife
WGA Board Member
WGA Board Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:02 am Reply with quote Back to top

So far we are sitting at 69 finds, our best December yet, with a trip planned to Milwaukee for a long weekend. so hopefully can break a hundred for the month.

Looking for a pathtag idea check out Freak Designs 
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
ruff54
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:51 am Reply with quote Back to top

Further proof of global warming! Laughing

(Not intended to be a serious comment not intended to confirm or deny the possibility of a global warming effect)

CodeJunkie
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:09 am Reply with quote Back to top

I'm not sure if this December was better or worse than past for me. I cached like I always cache though, which means it was sporadic. I have put more emphasis on trying to fill the calendar grid which means I've done some of the ho-hum caches just to fill the grid.

We have the luxury of 4 distinct seasons in WI and it's fun to explore the uniqueness of each.

I agree with Hack1of2 though in that it's all about being dressed properly though. As a hunter, I already have most of the required winter gear and am used to being out in less than ideal conditions. I frost bit my toes / fingers when I was younger and get cold extremely easy, so for me a good pair of boots is a must. I also watch the after season sales for good deals which allowed me to snag Walls Insulated Overalls for $12, 5 pairs of Thinsulate lined gloves for $3 each, multiple packages of the air activated handwarmers for $0.50 each / 6 pack, etc. I also use the saying - In the winter I can easily pile on more layers, but in the summer I can only remove so much before people start looking at me weird.

Muggle B
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:50 am Reply with quote Back to top

its never about how many I get, but how fun they were

Ive done 33 fun ones this month so far, only 20 traditionals (some were LCG caches), and 13 puzzles, multis and one earthcache.

went from over 15 holes in my dec grid to less than 3!!

86 left to fill.

WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:13 pm Reply with quote Back to top

We're down a bit, since I did some LCG running the last 3 years. Having to go farther from home base for caching is an issue, too, so I try to grab some between work appointments.

We have 18 days left on the grid, with 4 in January and 8 in February. Not sure how I missed November 25th, but that should be easier to fill than if we have a blizzard on February 29th!

Sure has been easy walking this December, compared to the last 2 Decembers! Very Happy

Mister Greenthumb
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:30 pm Reply with quote Back to top

We found one cache today to bring our total for the month to 60. Time of the year or weather doesn't mean that much to us as we have found 100+ caches in almost every month. We hid 180 caches this year and that took time away from finding. We also have no caches to find within 10 miles of home. This month we found caches on 9 days, hid caches on 9 days and did maintenance on 11 days for a total of 18 days of geocaching related activities. One more outing with a group planned for this Saturday to end the year. Our New Years Resolution to the dismay of many of our friends will be more finding and less hiding.

maskinwi
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:09 pm Reply with quote Back to top

We have 0 money just isn't there to go out driving around really sucks. Always next year

sweetlife
WGA Board Member
WGA Board Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:31 am Reply with quote Back to top

We ended up with 130 for December One of our better months for 2011

Looking for a pathtag idea check out Freak Designs 
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
sandlanders
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:35 am Reply with quote Back to top

This is our first year of five caching that we have been able to go more than a week into December without knee-deep snow on the ground, and we took advantage of that. Not only was this our best December ever, numbers-wise, but it was our third best month overall of caching. We just like it that we're not stuck inside as much, not being the winter outdoors enthusiasts that many of you are. Cache on!

Trekkin and Birdin
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:12 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I haven't counted. We're kind of like Muggle B in this regard. Our focus the last month or two has been different, so we may be down from previous winters (snow was never that much of an issue other than impairing extended travel plans). I do know we've been busy placing a number of caches this past month as well as making sure everything is maintained well.

Overall, though we've worked really hard to maintain more balance in life and pursue our other interests again, we have been up overall for the year, after two years with an overall drop in numbers. Lots of travel combined with retirement has allowed that to happen. With all that, I've still done two Christmas Bird Counts, finished up an art project, and dug in to revamp a garden this past summer. Trekkin' is playing his banjo again as well. We've been able to enjoy some non-caching socializing and hosting, too!

Personally, as someone who is never happier than on my skis in the woods, I'd like enough snow to make that happen for a couple months. Trekkin' is not of a similar mind. Rolling Eyes

View next topic
View previous topic