49.png BOD Info Center

17.png Forums
16.png New Posts
20.png Unanswered Posts

calendar_day.png Upcoming Events
mapicon.png Map
29.png Calendar
11.png Submit Event

mapicon.png WGA State Park CachesNew content !

shield_star.png Cache of the Month
mapicon.png Past Winners Map

LonelyCache.png Lonely Cache Game
mapicon.png Current Map
26.png Scoreboard
11.png Submit Report

rescueiconsm.png Cache Rescue
11.png Submit a Mission

icon_community.gif Members
27.png Your Account
47.png Private Messages
contact_blue.png WGA Member Map
Geocaching_LIVE_poweredby_16.png GC.COM Authorization

icon_members.gif News
tree-T.gif Topics
tree-T.gif Archives
tree-L.gif Submit News

image_cultured.png Photo Gallery
tree-T.gif Updates
tree-L.gif Popular

shield.png Fun Stuff
28.png Recent Logs
TB.gif Picnic to Picnic TB Race Standings
TB.gif WGA Hauler

49.png Board of Directors

Contact Us

Facebook

Wisconsin Geocaching Association

Follow Us

Twitter Button

Subscribe to Newsletter

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

Geocaching.com Search
View Search Syntax

COTM
Winner -
June 2014 Northern Zone:
Forbidden Fruit

Winner -
June 2014 Northeast Zone:
Wildlife & Travel Bug Sanctuary

Winner -
June 2014 West Central Zone:
Pirates of the Roche-a-Cri

Winner -
June 2014 South Central Zone:
The Big "K"

Winner -
June 2014 Southeast Zone:
Whoomp! There It Is

Winner -
June 2014 Series of the Month:

More Info >>>

Wisconsin Geocaching Association: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Trekkin and Birdin
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:39 am Reply with quote Back to top

Every hobby has its storage issues. Our outdoor gear is not a problem, as we had all that stuff already and jumped through that organizational hoop. We're trying to work toward minimalism in our "stuff" around here and geocaching leads to "stuff." Along with the units and nuvi and cords and such, we have notebooks and spreadsheets falling out with puzzle solves and notes. Boxes with the geocoin collection. Stacks of trip idea itineraries. You get the idea.

What approaches have others taken to keeping this stuff neatly stored and not taking up space? Don't tell me to put the paperwork on computer drives. We don't roll that way and have no desire to do so. Computers crash and things don't always transfer to the new. Thanks for your ideas.

CodeJunkie
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:21 am Reply with quote Back to top

I have a couple of colored pocket folders I use for "Puzzles in Progress". I keep one of these in my laptop bag that travels to work with me for those lunch times when I just need a good distraction.

I know you said "no computer" solutions, but I store all my puzzle stuff in GSAK once I have a good start on a puzzle, have it solved, as well as intermediate WP's. This is my "historical record" system and get's backed up on a regular basis. I also use a scanner to create PDF documents of other things to reduce the "paper load". This works great for the DNR forms so I don't have to keep track of the paper copies or mail them. I just email them to the DNR instead which works well.

CodeJunkie
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:30 am Reply with quote Back to top

Another "low tech" solution that "saved my marriage" was buying some clear storage totes (shoebox size). I use these for storing cache containers in their various stages (i.e painted / unpainted, camoed / uncamoed, pill bottle / nano). I've learned to only keep what fits in the bins and if I have more than what fits in these totes, I recycle / dispose of the containers.

I also store a few containers "Matryoshka Doll" style. I'll fill a quart container with pill bottles / matchstick containers and put those inside an ammo can. Then when I'm scouting a new area I just carry the ammo can with all the others inside. When I find a spot I have a variety of containers available at my disposal. Also works well with quart, pint, pill bottle configuration if I know I'm not planning to use the ammo box, but you get the idea.

For replacement logs - I have a couple of smaller quart size storage containers in the car. I have the logs printed and in plastic bags ready to go. I generally have 30-40 of various sizes made up and in these totes sorted by size. When I need to replenish, I print, cut, bag, store all in a day so they don't linger in piles all over the house.

RSplash40
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:49 am Reply with quote Back to top

I used to have a red notebook of puzzle workings, solutions, etc. Now its solve them, find them, dispose of them when it comes to puzzles.

I use a laptop and smartphone now for t/v/e's, rarely do puzzles any more and even more rare do a multi.

I look at it this way, if the drive stops spinning the world will not. Its an inconvenience but one can take it as opportunity to refresh and maybe learn something new during the rebuild.

As for other stuff, I have 1 shoebox size container that rides in the truck that holds some swag, logs and a container or two for maintenance.

WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:58 am Reply with quote Back to top

Maybe this should be my New Years resolution.

kungfuhippie
WGA Board Member
WGA Board Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:56 am Reply with quote Back to top

The wife gave me a full shelving unit in the basement for all my stuff. Shelf of coins, swag etc.., one shelf of containers, one for binders & notebooks with puzzles, ideas.

This post is purely a \"hippie\" point-of-view and in no way, shape or form reflects the BOD as a whole. 
sandlanders
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:03 am Reply with quote Back to top

It's not caching junk. It's paraphernalia.

WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:05 am Reply with quote Back to top

He he, maybe the issue is we need to just quit! I have plastic divided binders for the puzzle stuff, another with park maps and other things that can be helpful, and a couple plastic totes with all the coin stuff and other stupid stuff. DeLorme atlases all stacked against that pile. I guess I'm just sick of that stuff taking up a corner in the bedroom, but there really isn't any other good place to keep it. For some reason, those things find their way into MY closet, even if I didn't put them there. Someone ELSE got the big divided closet with the remodel, but the junk ends up in my tiny one. Hmmm.

The containers and spare logs and stuff we've got covered. Maybe the coins can go in the attic. We never even look at them. Which is why we kind of stopped getting them.

Mister Greenthumb
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:33 am Reply with quote Back to top

kungfuhippie wrote:
The wife gave me a full shelving unit in the basement for all my stuff. Shelf of coins, swag etc.., one shelf of containers, one for binders & notebooks with puzzles, ideas.

I think she tricked you. She's still upstairs and you're in the basement.

Trekkin and Birdin
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:18 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Okay, and what about USB cords? It seems like every gadget comes with one. We must have 10-15 identical cords laying around. Maybe I can make a multi puzzle utilizing the extras and get rid of those? Rolling Eyes

labrat_wr
WGA Vice-President
WGA Vice-President

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:27 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Should be able to make a nice lanyard with those USB cords Smile

All forum posts are the thoughts and opinions of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts and opinions of the WGA Board of Directors 
Trekkin and Birdin
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:37 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I suppose I could give them to Mrs. Timberline Echoes and she can create some kind of abstract art piece with them! Twisted Evil

huffinpuffin2
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:13 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Trekkin and Birdin wrote:
Maybe the coins can go in the attic. We never even look at them. Which is why we kind of stopped getting them.

Sell the coins! Let those kids fly freely, and find a home with someone who's now at a point where they'll appreciate and nurture them. Then use the money to re-remodel, this time leveraged to your advantage! And if someone gets in your way, tie 'em up with some USB cords. Smile Smile

kungfuhippie
WGA Board Member
WGA Board Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:51 pm Reply with quote Back to top

huffinpuffin2 wrote:
Trekkin and Birdin wrote:
Maybe the coins can go in the attic. We never even look at them. Which is why we kind of stopped getting them.

Sell the coins! Let those kids fly freely, and find a home with someone who's now at a point where they'll appreciate and nurture them. Then use the money to re-remodel, this time leveraged to your advantage! And if someone gets in your way, tie 'em up with some USB cords. Smile Smile

I could take some of each off your hands, after all I've got the basement so I've got room. Twisted Evil

This post is purely a \"hippie\" point-of-view and in no way, shape or form reflects the BOD as a whole. 
Lacknothing
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:37 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Why don't you just buy a geomobile that is designated just for geocaching? Then you could store all of the geocaching stuff in the geomobile. It would be a little more money up front, but in the end, I think it could save you a ton! Plus you won't have to think about what you need when heading out. It will all be in one place! You could name the geomobile Frogger! Laughing

View next topic
View previous topic