49.png BOD Info Center

17.png Forums
16.png New Posts
20.png Unanswered Posts

calendar_day.png Upcoming Events
mapicon.png Map
29.png Calendar
11.png Submit Event

mapicon.png WGA State Park CachesNew content !

shield_star.png Cache of the Month
mapicon.png Past Winners Map

LonelyCache.png Lonely Cache Game
mapicon.png Current Map
26.png Scoreboard
11.png Submit Report

rescueiconsm.png Cache Rescue
11.png Submit a Mission

icon_community.gif Members
27.png Your Account
47.png Private Messages
contact_blue.png WGA Member Map
Geocaching_LIVE_poweredby_16.png GC.COM Authorization

icon_members.gif News
tree-T.gif Topics
tree-T.gif Archives
tree-L.gif Submit News

image_cultured.png Photo Gallery
tree-T.gif Updates
tree-L.gif Popular

shield.png Fun Stuff
28.png Recent Logs
TB.gif Picnic to Picnic TB Race Standings
TB.gif WGA Hauler

49.png Board of Directors

Contact Us

Facebook

Wisconsin Geocaching Association

Follow Us

Twitter Button

Subscribe to Newsletter

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

Geocaching.com Search
View Search Syntax

COTM
Winner -
August 2014 Northern Zone:
WSQ Gordon Cemetery

Winner -
August 2014 Northeast Zone:
Trout Haven

Winner -
August 2014 West Central Zone:
WISCONSIN DELORME CHALLENGE

Winner -
August 2014 South Central Zone:
Capitol Punishment

Winner -
August 2014 Southeast Zone:
Wisconsin Homestead - Emslie Farm

Winner -
August 2014 Series of the Month:
Classic Childrens Books

More Info >>>

Wisconsin Geocaching Association: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
mongo1965
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:51 am Reply with quote Back to top

Woke up this morning. So started out as a good day so far than checked my email wow somebody logged my caches on a week day. Than it went downhill. They must not have read the page I have attributes set but yet they went after it and than complained about the thorns and tics.

Quote:
I wish i could say that i enjoyed the walk into this cache. It was torture. My six year old son and I had to find the least painful path to this cache. So after multiple scratches, thorns in our clothing and over 30 ticks we made it. The swag was nice which eased the pain a little.

Please consider moving this cache, there really isn't any painless path to it.

TFTC, SL

Now I'm sitting here wondering if I do put out any more caches if I should just post the cords and not even bother with anything else.http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=ef6bf73b-d6d6-482a-bed1-c397dd0fb209

gotta run
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:13 am Reply with quote Back to top

Just ignore it. As is proven countless times each day, some people complain about everything and aren't real good at that whole reading thing. Sounds like a fun cache to me.

Mebbe you could drop them a note telling them there are 20,000 other caches in the state they can look for, and plenty of park and grabs that offer thorn-free and walk-free experiences.

JimandLinda
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:47 am Reply with quote Back to top

Hopefully they learned what the Attributes are used for!

I recall a log from southern Wisconsin complaining about how it "took us 2 hours to bushwack to the cache, then return to our vehicle". So I scheduled some extra time for that one. It took me 20 minutes round trip!

Appreciate the dramatic log for what it is... entertainment! Smile

Lostby7
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:10 am Reply with quote Back to top

I'm a paperless cacher....I read maybe one cache page in 50. I cache without access to attributes and use only past logs, hints and the coords. If I absolutely have to I can read the page...but the attribute information is not included in that writeup.

That said, if I run into a situation where the cache is in the middle of tick infested thorn bushes that is my own fault.

BigJim60
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:25 am Reply with quote Back to top

mongo1965 wrote:
Woke up this morning. So started out as a good day so far than checked my email wow somebody logged my caches on a week day. Than it went downhill. They must not have read the page I have attributes set but yet they went after it and than complained about the thorns and tics.

Quote:
I wish i could say that i enjoyed the walk into this cache. It was torture. My six year old son and I had to find the least painful path to this cache. So after multiple scratches, thorns in our clothing and over 30 ticks we made it. The swag was nice which eased the pain a little.

Please consider moving this cache, there really isn't any painless path to it.

TFTC, SL

Now I'm sitting here wondering if I do put out any more caches if I should just post the cords and not even bother with anything else.http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=ef6bf73b-d6d6-482a-bed1-c397dd0fb209

That was a great cache, or rather one of a great mini-series of three caches. I really enjoyed them. And yes, I did mention the thorns in my log, but not complaining about them, just sort of acknowledging them. I agree, ignore it.

Todd300

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:19 am Reply with quote Back to top

I echo the sentiments above. Ignore it.

Like Lost, I'm a paperless cacher as well but I use my Nuvi as well as the GDAK app for my phone (a mobile version of GSAK) to read the cache info and logs. I *think* the atrributes are shown on GDAK but I know they aren't on the Nuvi.

Like the others above, if I go into the woods and come out with several ticks, that's on me. I know I'll get ticks if I go in there so they don't bother me.

Don't worry about it, Mongo. Keep putting them out Smile I'll stop in your area sometime to check it out.

gotta run
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:27 am Reply with quote Back to top

Even if you are caching with just a waypoint, when you get to the parking spot on this cache you clearly see it's a bit of a walk...outside...you know, in "nature" and all that...where there are bound to be ticks and sticks and thorns and rocks and holes and angry chipmunks and whatnot...

I remember getting a log on one of our caches complaining that the trail was getting overgrown...not sure if people wanted me to go out there with a brush mower or something? I kinda thought the DNR might frown on that. Apparently it never occurred to them that simply turning back was an option too...

Not every cache has a paved path up to it. Just ignore it!

labrat_wr
WGA Vice-President
WGA Vice-President

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:38 am Reply with quote Back to top

Heidy Heidy Heidy Heidy Heidy Heidy Heidy Heidy Heidy Heidy Heidy Heidy Heidy Heidy Heidy Heidy Heidy Heidy Heidy Heidy Heidy Heidy Heidy Heidy

All forum posts are the thoughts and opinions of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts and opinions of the WGA Board of Directors 
Todd300

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:08 am Reply with quote Back to top

Speaking of bushwacking to caches without a trail, how tough is your Meadowbrook cache, Gotta Run? That's on my bucket list for the future when I do an icon run. I already got all the letterbox hybrids at the RF and I think that's the only letterbox hybrid left in the Green Bay area.

If I'm able to get that one, I'll be able to get a nice icon run going that day.

smashing ground
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:01 am Reply with quote Back to top

Everyone else seemed to enjoy it,dont let one cacher ruin your day..lifes to short.

gotta run
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:09 am Reply with quote Back to top

Todd300 wrote:
Speaking of bushwacking to caches without a trail, how tough is your Meadowbrook cache, Gotta Run? That's on my bucket list for the future when I do an icon run. I already got all the letterbox hybrids at the RF and I think that's the only letterbox hybrid left in the Green Bay area.

If I'm able to get that one, I'll be able to get a nice icon run going that day.

It will probably be a bit wet but not too bad of a bushwhack.

Do not approach from the paved trail unless you want to cross the river. Instead enter on the east side of the park and follow the south side of the river.

Todd300

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:49 am Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks. I might do this with a local cacher I know.

Now back to your regular programming Smile

mongo1965
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:41 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks guys I know I should have just blown the log off. Heck should just be glad the caches where found. Guess its just been a long week here. but its all good.

Muggle B
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:51 am Reply with quote Back to top

I have a cache by a historical marker, the cachers found the cache but in there log asked "whats up with the silo" had they read the marker (2.5' from the cache) they would have gotten an entire history of it and the area. So not only do people not read the cache page, they don't bother to read any sign on their way, rules, history, etc.

Im not sure how these people drive when you can't read the signs!!

WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:06 am Reply with quote Back to top

Related email that I got today from a cacher in Germany who wants to log one of my challenge caches without actually visiting the cache, with the name deleted:

do i have to write a log in the Logbook 100 Earthcaches or is it enough that we have logged more than 100?
We have made a picture at every Earthcache... you can see in our Listing

best regards from Germany

I havent answered it yet, because I cant think of a polite way to say, "Duh, did you read the cache page?"

z

All posts are the opinions of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the WGA Board of Directors. 

View next topic
View previous topic