49.png BOD Info Center

17.png Forums
16.png New Posts
20.png Unanswered Posts

calendar_day.png Upcoming Events
mapicon.png Map
29.png Calendar
11.png Submit Event

mapicon.png WGA State Park CachesNew content !

shield_star.png Cache of the Month
mapicon.png Past Winners Map

LonelyCache.png Lonely Cache Game
mapicon.png Current Map
26.png Scoreboard
11.png Submit Report

rescueiconsm.png Cache Rescue
11.png Submit a Mission

icon_community.gif Members
27.png Your Account
47.png Private Messages
contact_blue.png WGA Member Map
Geocaching_LIVE_poweredby_16.png GC.COM Authorization

icon_members.gif News
tree-T.gif Topics
tree-T.gif Archives
tree-L.gif Submit News

image_cultured.png Photo Gallery
tree-T.gif Updates
tree-L.gif Popular

shield.png Fun Stuff
28.png Recent Logs
TB.gif Picnic to Picnic TB Race Standings
TB.gif WGA Hauler

49.png Board of Directors

Contact Us

Facebook

Wisconsin Geocaching Association

Follow Us

Twitter Button

Subscribe to Newsletter

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

Geocaching.com Search
View Search Syntax

COTM
Winner -
July 2014 Northern Zone:
Call Box

Winner -
July 2014 Northeast Zone:
Twisted Metal

Winner -
July 2014 West Central Zone:
The Island

Winner -
July 2014 South Central Zone:
Puzzle of Books

Winner -
July 2014 Southeast Zone:
Make do with what you have

Winner -
July 2014 Series of the Month:
Door County Barn Quilt Series

More Info >>>

Wisconsin Geocaching Association: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Earthlovers4
WGA Friend

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:21 am Reply with quote Back to top

I remember a wise geocaching team telling me that you should have at least 100 finds before you attempt to make your first hide. (We learned from Team Sloughfoot... so you know that it would be great advice). After 100, we started entertaining the idea, but then the thinking began. We've had several ideas.... but we're still a little nervous!
We have an idea for a WSQ cache at the location my grandparents are buried. Any advice about how to go about this one? I'm assuming that we'll need to ask permission from the cemetery "owner" to begin with, correct? Any ideas about how to discover this information? I assume it isn't difficult to find....
We also have an idea for a HARD one in a location that has a lot of meaning to both of us and our parents. Cool location, but we're again not sure about how to go about asking permission. It would be on an old bridge.... not great parking nearby. But, it's also a trout stream, and people go fishing in it all the time. They just park on the side of the road...
Lastly, we're thinking that there is a need for a night cache in our area. We've done a couple in Stevens Point, and we love them. Any thoughts?
We want to make sure to ask questions before we embark on this mission. We don't want to do anything to harm the game, but we know it's more fun for everyone involved if we would do a hide.
Any advice/help?
Thanks in advance,
Kate and Tim

WStemple
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:31 am Reply with quote Back to top

For the WSQ, I would suggest starting with the local city/village/town. They normally have stewardship over those or can direct you to the proper people. Most property ownership questions can be started with them as they have access to the tax records.

JimandLinda
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:03 am Reply with quote Back to top

You will need to get permission from cemetery management for placing a container ON THE CEMETERY GROUNDS. The best thing to do is to make the cache an"Unknown" cache, use some cemetery history and easy math, and place the cache container nearby, on public property. For a WSQ, it's about 80% history and 20% hide.
The last WSQ we placed, we put the container in a tree hole along the roadside, near the cemetery. It is NOT a busy road, and there was safe parking nearby. The puzzle takes about 7 minutes to gather the info at various WPs, then a quick solve for the Final hide spot.

Hide your caches, then Submit them for review. If there are any issues, the Reviewers will note them and you can resolve them before Publication.

If you were coached by Team Sloughfoot, you should be good to go! It's refreshing to see new cachers following the advice of experienced cachers. It would save alot of PR problems if more newbies took the same "find your first 100" advice!

We look forward to your hides, and welcome to the hunt!

Earthlovers4
WGA Friend

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:13 am Reply with quote Back to top

Possibly a dumb question:
Do you need to get permission from the DOT or some other organization to place a cache on a bridge, sign post, right of way, guardrail, etc?
I'm checking out the help section on Geocaching.com and it tells me to get permission, but isn't very specific. Obviously, it's not going to give me WI information... but I thought it might give me a little more push in the right direction.
Thanks so much for all your help so far! We're going to check out some public land near this cemetery. Also, I'll make my husband start contacting around to find the cemetery management....

labrat_wr
WGA Vice-President
WGA Vice-President

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:17 am Reply with quote Back to top

you may or may not have found the following information on GC.com.
Bridges can be a sticky point for publication depending on what type of bridge/location of bridge.

hopefully our reviewers will stop in and clarify your questions a bit more.

groundspeak wrote:
1.3. Inappropriate or Non-publishable Placements
This page is an extension of our Geocache Listing Requirements / Guidelines.

[Updated 4/23/2012]

1.Additional regulations and laws that apply only to your country and region may further restrict cache placement. See Fundamental Placement Guidelines(1 and 2). A cache may be disabled or archived if one or more of the following is true. Please note that the list is not exhaustive; there are many reasons why a cache may be disabled or archived.
•The cache placement does not meet all the guidelines.
•If your cache is reported by the land owner or land manager as being an unwanted intrusion, Groundspeak will respect the wishes of the land owner or manager.
•The cache placement is in an area that is highly sensitive to additional foot and/or vehicular traffic including, but not limited to, archaeological sites, historical sites and cemeteries. Note that some cemeteries permit cache placement.
•Property is defaced or damaged, or wildlife is harmed or destroyed, either by the hiding or seeking of the cache.
•The cache is on property belonging to a railroad. In the United States we generally require a distance of 150 ft (46 m) from active tracks. Local laws may vary.
The cache is problematic due to its proximity to a public structure, including and not limited to, highway bridges, dams, government buildings, schools and military installations, hospitals, airports and other such locations.2.If your cache is located within one of the areas listed above and you have complied with special regulations by obtaining permission or a permit, please detail this information in a Note to Reviewer on the cache listing, pre-publication. It is also advised that you state permission on the cache page to reassure cachers seeking the cache.
3.Knowledge Book articles about the Review Process outline steps to take if your geocache has been temporarily disabled or archived because it is not publishable. Importantly, please work with the cacher reviewer.

All forum posts are the thoughts and opinions of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts and opinions of the WGA Board of Directors 
JimandLinda
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:20 am Reply with quote Back to top

Cache placements are not allowed on bridges maintained by the DOT, and are risky placements on ANY bridges, unless they are on rec trails in the backwoods, away from muggle eyes.

As far as contacting the DOT, it shouldn't be necessary. If you need DOT permission, the Reviewers will notify you. If you place the container on DNR managed land, you will need to fill out a Geocache Notification Form and submit it to the nearest DNR Office/Land Manager.

Bushwhacking Queen
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:49 pm Reply with quote Back to top

A bridge may be off limits, however, many caches have been hidden on guardrails that are attached to bridges just off the edge of the bridge, say 25 ft. Depending on the county in which you live you may have a carte blanche to hide anywhere you want.

CodeJunkie
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:30 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Don't get frightened by getting it perfect the first time. Sometimes you just have to try it and submit it. If there's something obvious wrong with it the reviewers will let you know.

I've had some submissions go through easily and others that are extremely painful. Most fall on the "easy" side though.

Our reviewers are also great at providing feedback about why something fails in the submit process. I can't say enough good about the reviewers and how helpful they've been with those I've had issues with.

I certainly commend you though for being patient, asking for advice and wanting to do the right thing. That's a HUGE step in the right direction.

Sloughfoot
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:41 am Reply with quote Back to top

ah geez guys, were blushing. Couldn't think of a better team to have our name attached to then earthlovers4. Now maybe we will have something to find close to home.

Chznschnapps
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:37 pm Reply with quote Back to top

We'll find yours if you find ours! Smile Good luck with your first hides! We've found it to be just as fun, and maybe even more so, than finding caches.

View next topic
View previous topic