49.png BOD Info Center

17.png Forums
16.png New Posts
20.png Unanswered Posts

calendar_day.png Upcoming Events
mapicon.png Map
29.png Calendar
11.png Submit Event

mapicon.png WGA State Park CachesNew content !

shield_star.png Cache of the Month
mapicon.png Past Winners Map

LonelyCache.png Lonely Cache Game
mapicon.png Current Map
26.png Scoreboard
11.png Submit Report

rescueiconsm.png Cache Rescue
11.png Submit a Mission

icon_community.gif Members
27.png Your Account
47.png Private Messages
contact_blue.png WGA Member Map
Geocaching_LIVE_poweredby_16.png GC.COM Authorization

icon_members.gif News
tree-T.gif Topics
tree-T.gif Archives
tree-L.gif Submit News

image_cultured.png Photo Gallery
tree-T.gif Updates
tree-L.gif Popular

shield.png Fun Stuff
28.png Recent Logs
TB.gif Picnic to Picnic TB Race Standings
TB.gif WGA Hauler

49.png Board of Directors

Contact Us

Facebook

Wisconsin Geocaching Association

Follow Us

Twitter Button

Subscribe to Newsletter

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

Geocaching.com Search
View Search Syntax

COTM
Winner -
September 2014 Northern Zone:
Bunyan's Bowling Ball

Winner -
September 2014 Northeast Zone:
Gardner Swamp Thing

Winner -
September 2014 West Central Zone:
Upper Dells SNA

Winner -
September 2014 South Central Zone:
Old Meets New

Winner -
September 2014 Southeast Zone:

Winner -
September 2014 Series of the Month:
Meet the WGA series

More Info >>>

Wisconsin Geocaching Association: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Cathunter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:24 pm Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by Lostby7:
I would like to point out that there is no “Donate Here” button on the main page. I’d like to see one. No one is twisting arms, but an unobtrusive Pay Pal button could help raise funds if they are needed to accomplish association goals.

I brought this up some time ago and at the time there was no interest displayed. I still think it's a great idea.

I think it would be prudent to have funds in reserve to cover the cost of following through with the ideas the membership and board agree to. Color copies are expensive. GPS units are expensive. I could go on and on.

I can admit I have a selfish side. I'll donate more graciously in exchange for a token in return. New bumper stickers, WGA coins, refrigerator magnets.... I like "stuff". Image

Why not make it an optional part of the program? I wasn't suggesting we list "premium members" any different than anyone else in these forums. (I might pay for a closer parking spot though) Image

GrouseTales
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:35 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'd like to see some more of these ideas offered to the members. I'd love to see new features added. Maybe some downloads. Stickers are great. I'd prefer to keep things equal to all members and not charge a fee.

I don't know if we would have enough bonus material to warrant charging money for it.

I'd like to see some custom apparel, and logo items that we could sell to make a slight profit. Currently we do not take a cut of the Cafe Press items. We sell them at cost.

hogrod
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:06 pm Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by Cathunter:
I was thinking that while some folks rightly like the fact that WGA membership is free, we are also missing out on a way to generate funds and market the association.

I think a way to generate money is a great idea, but a premium mebership is not the way to go. Instead when you sell items(geocoins, ect) why not just charge more for them? seems that other sites are charging more for there coins by at least $4.

The only reason I pay gc.com for a premium mebership is so I can get GPX file format instead of loc. Yes there are other premium features they offer, but none that really matter to me. I can't think of anything the WGA could do that would make me give them money too.

In short all this would do is help create more of a clique factor within the WGA. Why not just leave the group as a whole and find some other options to generate funds?

Cache_boppin_BunnyFuFu
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:57 pm Reply with quote Back to top

PCfrog...the first pic is that of "our" parents.. the second is the outcome!!!???!! ROFLMBO!! Something tells me I probably look a little better in that tutu than you!! LOL

Cache_boppin_BunnyFuFu
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:12 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I think a combination of offering items to a premium member as well as offering benefits of the membership, such as discounts as I mentioned earlier in the thread. Make it something that is very inviting. Sure, the WGA may not NEED money, so they could offer PM's things like WGA pins, stickers, etc., purchased with the membership fees or from events.

Keep the creative juices flowing and we'll have some awesome ideas. Doesn't have to wait till a new year either.

"So then why pay for a premier membership if I am just going to get STUFF back for my money??? I could do that on my own!"

Well.... it could be more than that, as we discussed earlier. There are many options here, all we had to do is research it a bit. If I were an owner of an Army Surplus store, I surely would LOVE to offer a discount that would bring in more sales.

Hope that makes sense. Sometimes I know WHAT I want to say but just can't put it in words!!

Cache_boppin_BunnyFuFu
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:10 pm Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by Lostby7:

I would like to point out that there is no “Donate Here” button on the main page. I’d like to see one. No one is twisting arms, but an unobtrusive Pay Pal button could help raise funds if they are needed to accomplish association goals.

Another great idea Cathunter & Lostby7. We could have option for that too. Like money to the WGA or Friends of Harrinton Beach / Poitn Beach or any other state park. Might not be a Benefit but it can bring forward, a reminder, that these places need help too.

Another idea - we could do a poll, maybe quarterly to decide where to donate excess funds to. A little off the subject of the Premium Member idea but that's ok.

Cathunter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:41 pm Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by Cache_boppin_BunnyFuFu:
Another idea - we could do a poll, maybe quarterly to decide where to donate excess funds to. A little off the subject of the Premium Member idea but that's ok.

Off the subject, yes, but I like it. I think someone else mentioned making park benches that could be donated to parks. I can forsee making a bunch of these benches with an engraved nameplate on the backrest- "Donated by the Wisconsin Geocaching Association- N42 37.698 W88 07.712".

What a great way to promote the sport and open doors with parks!

Trudy and the beast
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:31 am Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Off the subject, yes, but I like it. I think someone else mentioned making park benches that could be donated to parks. I can forsee making a bunch of these benches with an engraved nameplate on the backrest- "Donated by the Wisconsin Geocaching Association- N42 37.698 W88 07.712".

I couldn't help but notice that you put the first one on your favorite park... Image

Maybe we can have them made with a secret compartment for a log book that only Premium members would know how to access... Image

PCFrog
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:43 am Reply with quote Back to top

quote:

This would be nice after we, the WGA get some things for our own purpose like a possible kit for presentations.

Park benches run about $150 for sturdy basic bench - $380 for longer more durable benches. Add shipping & handling for such heavy items and then to get a name pate made for each bench. 2-5 benches a park the cost can add up fast for one single park.

It is a good idea and possible something to look after if we can secure such funds.

To me parks that should be considered are ones the 1st let us have the campout/picnic at and then ones that let us hide caches at.

Good idea and should be considered to be one of those simi long range goal.

Cache_boppin_BunnyFuFu
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:12 am Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by pcfrog:

Park benches run about $150 for sturdy basic bench - $380 for longer more durable benches. Add shipping & handling for such heavy items and then to get a name pate made for each bench. 2-5 benches a park the cost can add up fast for one single park.

I am not sure but I think we were thinking of making them not buying them. Otherwise, YES that's expensive. There is a basic design alot of the parks use. Don't think the wood is all that expensive to buy (Hubby does woodworking) and just need the bolts to put them together. THEN hand deliver them.

I guess depending on the number of Premier Memberships we'd get we could decide for sure... that's "IF" we decided to do somethig like that.

{edited for an after-thought to the initial comment}

[This message has been edited by Cache_boppin_BunnyFuFu (edited 02-11-2006).]

Folk Trakers
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:59 am Reply with quote Back to top

I love the thought processes going on here. As someone who's worked in a nonprofit environments for 10 years, all of them involving fees-for-service and fundraising, I tend to look at this from a business perspective. We've had other threads talking about how the membership wants WGA support (GPS units for training, training materials, etc.). Hopefully, that has given some guidance to the Board as to what the most vocal members want.

Now we need to know the plans and the actual budgets. Does the board have a goal? Not only educational and activity-wise, but dollar-wise. What is our financial status? Can we know that more regularly, maybe semi-annually? Maybe a summary of the financial report posted on this site. I know it's shared at the picnic, but sitting in a lawn chair hearing a summary of the revenue/expenses is not very thought-provoking, just educational.

If we want to fundraise, people need to know what the goals (both financial and activity) are and how we are spending. If we want to have fees, then what do they get for the fee? How does the WGA plan to use those fees? I like benefits and objects for myself, and shared resources for the entire group.

The WGA is young and has served us very well. Now that the membership has grown and volunteers are spread throughout the state, maybe the new board can really do some goal-setting. With goals, we can all work for those. Fundraising is simple with a passionate group like we have, provided communication is there. One suggestion we have made before is to get sponsors for our picnics/campouts. Illinois had a local sporting store and Garmin sponsor a picnic. Sponsors see this type of thing as cheap advertising, yet we could get give-aways plus some funds for just putting up a sign or display at the main picnic area.

Keep the thoughts coming! Any board greatly appreciates feedback from members as it helps in making the best decisions!

Mrs. Traker

greyhounder
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:38 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Am I correct in my belief that WGA has a not-for-profit status? If so, I'm not totally sure what that all entails, but I do believe that means that all monies received must go strictly for the running of the organization (probably includes events and stuff too).

I'm not so keen on a premium membership for WGA. If it were available,of course I would take advantage, however.

One of my concerns is that if premium membership were available, would that have a negative impact on donations? If some assumed that all costs were being footed by premium members, perhaps they would be less likely to contribute the the WGA.

I like the idea of a DONATE button though.

And my other concern would be the shift in a free organization and "what can I do to help the WGA?" to a premium member organization with "what is the WGA doing for me (because I'm paying for it)?"

On a greyhound forum, you have the option to donate to it. The only benefit is that under your name on your posts it indicates that you are a supporter of the forum. That's enough for me.

Bec

Cache_boppin_BunnyFuFu
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:47 pm Reply with quote Back to top

All excellent points Bec!!

I think for now we are only tossing ideas around. If the WGA chooses to pick one, then the details can be worked on.

What I have found in the past, with trying to come up with creative ideas in the business place, is as crazy as they sound, put the idea out there. When the time comes they can be investigated more deeply, weighing pros and cons to see if can actually happen!!

Creativity breeds creativity!

I really think this topic has seeded some great ideas so far!!

PCFrog
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 4:22 pm Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by Cache_boppin_BunnyFuFu:
I am not sure but I think we were thinking of making them not buying them. Otherwise, YES that's expensive. There is a basic design alot of the parks use. Don't think the wood is all that expensive to buy (Hubby does woodworking) and just need the bolts to put them together. THEN hand deliver them.

I guess depending on the number of Premier Memberships we'd get we could decide for sure... that's "IF" we decided to do somethig like that.

{edited for an after-thought to the initial comment}

[This message has been edited by Cache_boppin_BunnyFuFu (edited 02-11-2006).]

Sorry when I think of benches for a park I think of the ones made from recycled plastic. It has the environmentally friendly angle and they last.

greyhounder
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 5:35 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Some parks require that a specific bench (or bench plan) be used. Our family is putting in a bench at the Jefferson County Dog Park (a rainbow bridge bench, in memory of all pets no longer with us). They are letting us build it, but we have to use the same design as the other benches in the park.

Bec

View next topic
View previous topic