49.png BOD Info Center

17.png Forums
16.png New Posts
20.png Unanswered Posts

calendar_day.png Upcoming Events
mapicon.png Map
29.png Calendar
11.png Submit Event

mapicon.png WGA State Park CachesNew content !

shield_star.png Cache of the Month
mapicon.png Past Winners Map

LonelyCache.png Lonely Cache Game
mapicon.png Current Map
26.png Scoreboard
11.png Submit Report

rescueiconsm.png Cache Rescue
11.png Submit a Mission

icon_community.gif Members
27.png Your Account
47.png Private Messages
contact_blue.png WGA Member Map
Geocaching_LIVE_poweredby_16.png GC.COM Authorization

icon_members.gif News
tree-T.gif Topics
tree-T.gif Archives
tree-L.gif Submit News

image_cultured.png Photo Gallery
tree-T.gif Updates
tree-L.gif Popular

shield.png Fun Stuff
28.png Recent Logs
TB.gif Picnic to Picnic TB Race Standings
TB.gif WGA Hauler

49.png Board of Directors

Contact Us

Facebook

Wisconsin Geocaching Association

Follow Us

Twitter Button

Subscribe to Newsletter

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

Geocaching.com Search
View Search Syntax

COTM
Winner -
September 2014 Northern Zone:
Bunyan's Bowling Ball

Winner -
September 2014 Northeast Zone:
Gardner Swamp Thing

Winner -
September 2014 West Central Zone:
Upper Dells SNA

Winner -
September 2014 South Central Zone:
Old Meets New

Winner -
September 2014 Southeast Zone:

Winner -
September 2014 Series of the Month:
Meet the WGA series

More Info >>>

Wisconsin Geocaching Association: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Team Petey
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 5:14 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Thank you for the quick reply! I was mistaken that someone HAD to be a WI resident to be eligible to vote.

If, in fact, it reduces fraud, I think it's a good thing... however, I wish there was a "fairer" (is that a word? Shocked ) way to represent those of us in the more outlying areas. All in all, I think you all do a very good job at what you do...

Thanks again - and happy caching to all,

-Glen from Team Petey.

greyhounder
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 5:29 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Team Petey wrote:
I realize my cache (GCVM4W) is still "in the running" for COTM, but it seems unlikely to be able to pull it out in the long run,

.....so far it looks awfully good.......

Very Happy
Bec

WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:35 am Reply with quote Back to top

I have always viewed the voting for COTM as an endorsement process and not so much as a selection process. If I have only visited one of the candidates and it is a great cache, I have no problem with endorsing it with my vote. I don't feel that vote as favoring that cache over another on the list. If there is more than one on the list that I have enjoyed, then I must choose the one that I favor. It becomes more of a selection process at that point. The issue here is that one should feel no guilt for entering the vote without visiting each cache on the ballot.

I do take issue with cachers submitting votes for caches that they have not visited. One has no basis for endorsing a product they have not used, nor a cache they have not visited other than a nice cache page or a popular cache hider. That is not what this game is about. Votes on this basis will take others to pill bottles dropped at the roadside. If one has no knowledge of the quality of the location or the hide, one should not be telling his fellow cachers "You gotta go see this one."

Over the past few years, we have been faced with the delema of which cache to vote for. We have solved this by voting for one and nominating the other the following month.

GeoPink
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 5:08 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Trudy & the beast wrote:
I do take issue with cachers submitting votes for caches that they have not visited. One has no basis for endorsing a product they have not used, nor a cache they have not visited other than a nice cache page or a popular cache hider. That is not what this game is about. Votes on this basis will take others to pill bottles dropped at the roadside. If one has no knowledge of the quality of the location or the hide, one should not be telling his fellow cachers "You gotta go see this one."

Question

So I go to the store... I want to buy a flashlight. I don't need to buy one; but I want one. I've never owned a flashlight before. All I have to judge the flashlight is by the packaging and trying out other peoples flashlights. There are, of course, different types of flashlights: micros, regular sized, extra large, even flashlights with many different lights on them. I have a good idea what kind of light I want to buy, but I still have never owned one. I've used other peoples flashlights many times before so I have a good idea what makes a good flashlight. Though none of those lights are here at the store where I'd like to buy one.

Now, should I not be allowed to choose a certain flashlight because I've not tried it out before? Or could I use my judgement and determine which is the best flashlight available, and buy that one?

Question

A cache is not just a box or container in some place. There is more to a quality cache than that. How would my Submarine Series have looked with one liner cache pages. Shouldn't the cache be taken in its entirety? What about those folks who search a cache but don't read the entire cache page? Should they not be allowed to vote? It's an endoresement, yes. And a geocacher can choose to endorse whichever cache, whenever they want, for whatever reason, without feeling a bit of guilt for it. If my geocache is a "pill bottle dropped at the roadside" but the cache page and the puzzle needed to get to it are phenominal, then I have just as much right to win COTM as the next cacher. And I will welcome any and all votes for my cache; even if you haven't visited it.

Cathunter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 5:59 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Should I be able to publish a review of said flashlight without having never tried it? I don't agree with it.

Looks like another case of "different strokes for different folks". Rolling Eyes

In the end, my final opinion on the quality of any cache comes from what I find (or don't find) at the given coordinates.

Last edited by Cathunter on Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:19 am; edited 1 time in total 
Team Deejay
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:23 am Reply with quote Back to top

Cathunter wrote:
In the end, my final opinion on the quality of any cache comes from what I find (or don't find) at the given coordinates.

I may be misinterpreting your comment, but I feel the opposite way. I couldn't care less what the container is or what is in it. I think that the location, the challenge to reach the location, and the hiding technique all combine to determine the quality of the cache. If I learn something in the cache finding process, that counts as a bonus. Occasionally a very unusual container adds to the experience, but that is very rare. In my experience, the cache contents don't make much difference. For me, it is all about the journey, not the destination.

PS: Caches who coordinates are wildly off automatically get a bad grade in my book.

Cathunter

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:16 am Reply with quote Back to top

Team Deejay wrote:

I may be misinterpreting your comment........

That's easy to do here.... Very Happy

I was referring to what the coordinates bring me to see- something that will make me go "WOW"------
the surroundings and the views.

The cache is just an add-on feature.

Team Petey
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The SAD thing is, for those of us that don't live in a "metro" area, we don't get nearly the visits to our caches that those of you down in the southern part of the state get... Should that preclude us from EVER winning the COTM? Just simply because we happen to live "way up north" with a lower population base to visit - and, therefore, vote? I would hope sincerely hope not. I have to believe that Geopink is right... My ONLY hope is that cachers can (maybe) see the quality of the cache by the time and effort I put into my cache description page, story line of the adventure (yes, I've actually gone for a "story line" in my cache which was nominated last month, "The Adventure Begins..."), and, if someone is in the area, hopefully they like the locations, views and the containers/swag/cache itself.

Just out of curiousity -- Over the entire history of WGA's COTM, how many WINNING caches (not just nominees) are within 50 miles of Superior? How about 100 miles? I think the answer might surprise some of you... then again... maybe not.

Believe it or not folks, there are some AMAZING caches - and cachers - up this way... Great folks like Tango90 and Eddyed have hidden some completely unbelievable hides! And, we're ALL very proud members of the WGA!!

View next topic
View previous topic