49.png BOD Info Center

17.png Forums
16.png New Posts
20.png Unanswered Posts

calendar_day.png Upcoming Events
mapicon.png Map
29.png Calendar
11.png Submit Event

mapicon.png WGA State Park CachesNew content !

shield_star.png Cache of the Month
mapicon.png Past Winners Map

LonelyCache.png Lonely Cache Game
mapicon.png Current Map
26.png Scoreboard
11.png Submit Report

rescueiconsm.png Cache Rescue
11.png Submit a Mission

icon_community.gif Members
27.png Your Account
47.png Private Messages
contact_blue.png WGA Member Map
Geocaching_LIVE_poweredby_16.png GC.COM Authorization

icon_members.gif News
tree-T.gif Topics
tree-T.gif Archives
tree-L.gif Submit News

image_cultured.png Photo Gallery
tree-T.gif Updates
tree-L.gif Popular

shield.png Fun Stuff
28.png Recent Logs
TB.gif Picnic to Picnic TB Race Standings
TB.gif WGA Hauler

49.png Board of Directors

Contact Us

Facebook

Wisconsin Geocaching Association

Follow Us

Twitter Button

Subscribe to Newsletter

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

Geocaching.com Search
View Search Syntax

COTM
Winner -
September 2014 Northern Zone:
Bunyan's Bowling Ball

Winner -
September 2014 Northeast Zone:
Gardner Swamp Thing

Winner -
September 2014 West Central Zone:
Upper Dells SNA

Winner -
September 2014 South Central Zone:
Old Meets New

Winner -
September 2014 Southeast Zone:

Winner -
September 2014 Series of the Month:
Meet the WGA series

More Info >>>

Wisconsin Geocaching Association: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
4hunting
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:51 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hello, I just recently puchased a new GPSr, a Magellan eXplorist 600 and am currently digging through the manuals figuring it all out??? anyones 2 cents worth would be appreciated. As the name implies on the good days "when my wife is not working" there will be 4 of us exploring this new hobby/addiction. We enjoy the outdoors in many ways we camp & hike, Motorcycle Tour, I enjoy hunting wild turkeys, and racing RC cars.

I wondering if anyone around the Lake Geneva area would have a few minutes to fill me in on the tips and tricks to shorten the learing curve.
Plus I would like more info on the Paperless event and newbie training at Two Rivers on 3/11

------------------
I'm too old to "Grow Up"

[This message has been edited by 4hunting (edited 02-16-2006).]

Cache_boppin_BunnyFuFu
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:05 pm Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by 4hunting:

.....I would like more info on the Paperless event and newbie training at Two Rivers on 3/11

Hi 4hunting!

Welcome to the WGA and our forums. Since I am the co-sponser for the 3/11 events mentioned above, I can tell you a little bit about what we are doing. First, it has not shown up on the Geocaching website yet, since they had me modify the cache page, but it should be out soon. The paperless class is like others that have been or are scheduled. Topics for the "Going Paperless" class will include - how to select an area for caching in, obtaining PQs (Pocket Queries), GSAK, cache list filtering, Palm pilots, CacheMate, MS Streets & Trips, mapping strategies, route planning, navigational units, and whatever else comes up.

Directly after, we are having an informal class for those who need additional time and help with marking and entering waypoints, using the GPSr for finding caches and actually going out to find caches I had placed for the previous Geocaching 101 class. There was such an overwheling response to that class that many people had questions and needed help but we were unable to get to them all. So....we will hold it in inside the nature center, but of course, will be going out to help you with searching and finding techniques.

There are other classes a bit closer to you, but I an not sure of their specifics.

13 Apr 06 Geocaching Basics Workshop - Greenfield by Greenfield Parks & Recreation w/ AuntieNae (GCT9Y1)
22 Apr 06 Geocaching Basics Workshop - Waukesha by Waukesha Parks, Recreation and Forestry w/AuntieNae (GCT6BQ)

Contact AuntieNae via her profile on geocaching.com. She can let you know what all she teaches.

There are other Paperless classes also:

18 Feb 06 Going Paperless 2 by Gordon Bubolz Nature Preserve (GCRK8F)
4 Mar 06 Paperless Geocaching - Prairie Du Sac Wisconsin by Not So Lost Puppies (GCTFBG)

Otherwise... come on up! There are many local caches as well as the 10 temps for the class and 7 perms on location. You'll be a pro in no time!!

Hope this helps!!

Anne

{Modified `cause I missed something LOL }

[This message has been edited by Cache_boppin_BunnyFuFu (edited 02-16-2006).]

CB&MB
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:20 pm Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by 4hunting:
I wondering if anyone around the Lake Geneva area would have a few minutes to fill me in on the tips and tricks to shorten the learing curve.

Hi there and welcome! Commander Bob and I live in Silver Lake. It would be no problem for us meet up with you and help you get started Geocaching.

E-mail us @ meheula at wi dot rr dot com and we'll set up a time to get together. There are plenty of caches in the area for us to take you to.

I looked for your profile on the Groundspeak site so that I could e-mail you that way. I didn't find it. Are you registered there and using a different name on that site? If you're not, and want the info it's www dot geocaching dot com. Check it out.

MajorBrat

CB&MB
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:18 am Reply with quote Back to top

Met with most of this team yesterday. Spent a couple of hours with them. Due to temp outside we decided to "wrap our hands around a warm sup of coffee" instead of venturing into the out of doors.

There will be no stopping this family. They already have a tremendous grasp on what they want to gain from this sport. Congrats you guys! Can't wait to walk with you!

CB&MB

ps...if you ever see them, better hide your caramel! Image

View next topic
View previous topic