49.png BOD Info Center

17.png Forums
16.png New Posts
20.png Unanswered Posts

calendar_day.png Upcoming Events
mapicon.png Map
29.png Calendar
11.png Submit Event

mapicon.png WGA State Park CachesNew content !

shield_star.png Cache of the Month
mapicon.png Past Winners Map

LonelyCache.png Lonely Cache Game
mapicon.png Current Map
26.png Scoreboard
11.png Submit Report

rescueiconsm.png Cache Rescue
11.png Submit a Mission

icon_community.gif Members
27.png Your Account
47.png Private Messages
contact_blue.png WGA Member Map
Geocaching_LIVE_poweredby_16.png GC.COM Authorization

icon_members.gif News
tree-T.gif Topics
tree-T.gif Archives
tree-L.gif Submit News

image_cultured.png Photo Gallery
tree-T.gif Updates
tree-L.gif Popular

shield.png Fun Stuff
28.png Recent Logs
TB.gif Picnic to Picnic TB Race Standings
TB.gif WGA Hauler

49.png Board of Directors

Contact Us

Facebook

Wisconsin Geocaching Association

Follow Us

Twitter Button

Subscribe to Newsletter

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

Geocaching.com Search
View Search Syntax

COTM
Winner -
March 2014 Northern Zone:
Apostle Islands-Mawikwe Sea Caves

Winner -
March 2014 Northeast Zone:
Moscow, We Have A Problem

Winner -
March 2014 West Central Zone:
World Wide Quarters

Winner -
March 2014 South Central Zone:
WSQ Dunn

Winner -
March 2014 Southeast Zone:
Risen King

Winner -
March 2014 Series of the Month:
Woodpecker Series of Johnson Creek

More Info >>>

Wisconsin Geocaching Association: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Ralt Gaither
WGA Friend

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:00 am Reply with quote Back to top

I am looking into buying a GPSr and I know everybody has their own favorites as to which is the best. My cousins have Garmin, one with the Legend and the other with a 60CS. I have also looked at Lowrance Explorer and Magellan Explorist 300. So wondering if anybody has words of advice to stay away from one kind or if one has something really special that makes it better. Thanks for the advice in advance.

Trudy and the beast
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:56 am Reply with quote Back to top

for trouble free downloads, you can't beat the Garmin products. Lowerance makes very good units, but they don't have the popularity and support of the Garmin units among geocachers. My daughter uses a Magellan. ~tb

Team B Squared
WGA Friend

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:58 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I have had a Lowrance IFinder for about 3 years (1 year of geocaching) and it still works like it is new. The drawback to this unit is that I have to transfer all my data to the unit using either a mmc memory card. I know with other units you can connect directly to your pc using a cable. I have found that my units (my wife also has an IFinder approx 1 year old) do a great job keeping satellite lock in all geocaching situations that I have been in. I have no complaints about this, whereas I have heard complaints about other units. To be fair, I have not used any other brand unit, but that is my 2 cents. Hope it helps.

Ralt Gaither
WGA Friend

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:36 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I looked at the Lowrance at the sports show, how much memory does the card hold? Have a friend that has a 1 meg and says it is not enough. Have you done anything with additional map cards?

Team B Squared
WGA Friend

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:40 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I am not sure if there is a max amount of storage space that the GPS will accept from the memory card. I use a 128 meg card in mine which allows me to have street maps for all of Mich (U.P. and L.P.) all of Wisconsin and Minneapolis. I also have room for a little more for when I travel. I guess it just depends how big a memory card you want to buy. When I bought mine the MMC card that came with it was 16mb. This is enough storage space for the entire U.P. and the northern part of the Lower Peninsula of Mich.

marc_54140
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:20 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Regardless of the brand you buy, make sure it can hook into your PC for downloading waypoints and other data.

Some of the newer, cheaper models do not allow that.

Team B Squared
WGA Friend

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:35 am Reply with quote Back to top

+1, I spent a lot of time hand entering coords for big trips before I found a way to import waypoints to the GPS...not fun.

Team Deejay
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:19 pm Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by Team B Squared:
+1, I spent a lot of time hand entering coords for big trips before I found a way to import waypoints to the GPS...not fun.

If you are going to buy a Garmin (the only brand I really know about), the ones without PC interface capability are the Geko 101, the Forerunner 101, and the Rino 110 (basically if it has two '1's in the name). The standard yellow Etrex, the Camo Etrex (exact same unit, different color, more money), and the Etrex Summit do not come with a cable, but you can buy one on Ebay for around $12 delivered. (Or you can buy it from Garmin for $50, you decide. Image ) All others come with a PC interface cable.

Team Deejay
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:35 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Oops, one more, the GPS 72 doesn't come with a cable either, but does connect to a PC. This unit appears to be identical to the 76, but without an external antenna port (and a cable). For this one, the cables are around $13 delivered on Ebay. I didn't bother to cost one with Garmin, but I am sure it is significantly more. So, if you want the features of a 76, but don't want the external antenna, this unit will save you around $60 if you buy the cable on Ebay.

Jeremy
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:16 pm Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by Team Deejay:
If you are going to buy a Garmin (the only brand I really know about), the ones without PC interface capability are the Geko 101, the Forerunner 101, and the Rino 110 (basically if it has two '1's in the name).

As an exception to this rule and to further confuse things, the Garmin Foretrex 101 has PC interface capability but does not come with a cable...

GeoPink
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:35 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The new Magellan Explorist series 100, 200 and 300 do NOT have PC interface capability. A huge negaitve in my book. The 400, 500, 600 have that but they have Lithium-Ion Rechargable batteries where if you run them down in the middel of the woods, your only choice is to put another spare fully charged ($40)Lithium Ion battery in.

The Explorist XL (Magellan's newest) is the one I'm looking at getting. It takes regular batteries (albeit 4 of them) has a huge color screen (largest of the rugged handhelds on the market) and retains the staple of Magellan's products, the ability to hold on to satelites in the roughest of conditions.

------------------
Team GeoPink - Co-conspirators to make the world a better place...
- Jeff Rahmlow
WGA President
geopink at wi dash geocaching dit com

The comments and opinions above are those solely of Team GeoPink (arcangl7) and are not those of the WGA, the WGA board, or its other fine members.

Team Deejay
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:19 pm Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by jvechinski:
As an exception to this rule and to further confuse things, the Garmin Foretrex 101 has PC interface capability but does not come with a cable...

Wow, you're right about that! They sure don't publicize the fact, do they? The manual for this unit seems to make it look like it has Etrex functionality in a Wristmount case.

hogrod
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:37 am Reply with quote Back to top

as mentioned before the explorist 100, 200, & 300 don't have any pc connectivity from magellan. but there is a cable you can buy if you already have one of these and want to add a pc connection. it uses a port under the batterys, so you have to remove them to use it. http://pc-mobile.net/mex100.htm

the explorist 210 came out back in november and comes from magellan with a USB connection, base map, and their geocache manger software.(oh and it still uses AA battterys) It only has 24mb for map storage but this is pretty decent for the price. you can find one online for just above $150.

EDIT: I should also add that I don't know how good that site showing the cable is, they just had some good images of it. you can find them on ebay if you really wanted one.

[This message has been edited by hogrod (edited 03-17-2006).]

Ralt Gaither
WGA Friend

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:45 am Reply with quote Back to top

I have also been looking for the driving map capability for traveling and am being steered towards the Garmin GPSMAP 60 series.

My question is for geocaching is the electronic compass and barometric altimeter worth the extra money? How about the color screen?

greyhounder
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:02 am Reply with quote Back to top

I love the color screen. I have the 60CS. The compass is a pretty nice feature, but not necessary if you carry a compass. I don't have any use for the altimeter. If you're looking to save a few dollars, don't worry about those features.

Bec

View next topic
View previous topic