49.png BOD Info Center

17.png Forums
16.png New Posts
20.png Unanswered Posts

calendar_day.png Upcoming Events
mapicon.png Map
29.png Calendar
11.png Submit Event

mapicon.png WGA State Park CachesNew content !

shield_star.png Cache of the Month
mapicon.png Past Winners Map

LonelyCache.png Lonely Cache Game
mapicon.png Current Map
26.png Scoreboard
11.png Submit Report

rescueiconsm.png Cache Rescue
11.png Submit a Mission

icon_community.gif Members
27.png Your Account
47.png Private Messages
contact_blue.png WGA Member Map
Geocaching_LIVE_poweredby_16.png GC.COM Authorization

icon_members.gif News
tree-T.gif Topics
tree-T.gif Archives
tree-L.gif Submit News

image_cultured.png Photo Gallery
tree-T.gif Updates
tree-L.gif Popular

shield.png Fun Stuff
28.png Recent Logs
TB.gif Picnic to Picnic TB Race Standings
TB.gif WGA Hauler

49.png Board of Directors

Contact Us

Facebook

Wisconsin Geocaching Association

Follow Us

Twitter Button

Subscribe to Newsletter

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

Geocaching.com Search
View Search Syntax

COTM
Winner -
June 2014 Northern Zone:
Forbidden Fruit

Winner -
June 2014 Northeast Zone:
Wildlife & Travel Bug Sanctuary

Winner -
June 2014 West Central Zone:
Pirates of the Roche-a-Cri

Winner -
June 2014 South Central Zone:
The Big "K"

Winner -
June 2014 Southeast Zone:
Whoomp! There It Is

Winner -
June 2014 Series of the Month:

More Info >>>

Wisconsin Geocaching Association: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Bushwhacking Queen
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:19 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I am always saying that people cache for different reasons and I thought that it would be a great idea if people posted why they cache and/or what they get out of it.

Therefore, I would like to ask those cachers that are interested to post what positive things you get out of geocaching, why you geocache, and anything else positive you'd like to add. These forums are a great tool to get to know our fellow cachers, have a good laugh, and to learn.

ME: I love geocaching because it allows me to challenge myself, to set goals, and to work to achieve those goals. I also love it because it is truly a body, mind, and spirit hobby. I work on my body by hiking, jogging, walking, and climbing to caches. I work on my mind by trying to find the caches, figure out puzzles, and try to get into the mind of the hider. It works on my spirit because I meet new people, socialize and bond with others I have already met, have an opportunity to be close to nature, and an opportunity to reflect and meditate on the great gifts that God has provided me in my journey of life. It is time for ME, Image something that I have learned to enjoy and embrace.

Love means to make a trade for and to me I love geocaching because it trades all those things listed above unconditionally.

So how about it...why for you?

[This message has been edited by Bushwhacking Queen (edited 11-02-2005).]

[This message has been edited by Bushwhacking Queen (edited 11-02-2005).]

brkster
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:34 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Wow. BQ, you practically took the words out of my mouth. Geocaching fills a void in my life that had always been missing. I look forward to my next day of cache hunting right after I finish my current day. I try to get out once or twice a week. Each day is different. Sometimes I like a tough challenge either mentally or physically, sometimes a bunch of easier caches, sometimes it's the thrill of the hunt, other times, to go somewhere I've never been but always wanted to visit. Sometimes its to get together with other geocachers to hang out with while searching. Other times, I prefer solitude while I search. I feel I've found my niche with this sport, and have enjoyed it since day one. Great to see it growing each month. I hope it continues to do so.

[This message has been edited by brkster (edited 11-02-2005).]

Trudy and the beast
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:42 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Ah my grasshoppers, you have learned well. But, I am not through. The greatest prize of all is the bond among cachers. It is not like any others I have known.

The next greatest return is the expressions on the faces of the children when you tell them they can have 3 or 4 or 5 Oreos with double stuff.

A very wise man (Jeff Thorson) once told me: "He who dies with the most caches, wins." But I have come to realize that one must also count Travel Bugs, Geocoins, States, Counties, and broken bones.

There is so much to this R.A.S.H. that one cannot explain in but a few terse paragraphs. Live, Love and cache! ~tb

Cache_boppin_BunnyFuFu
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:13 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I love the outdoors. Being one with nature is the best. It is my time to think, when I cache alone, it is my time to build friendships, when I cache with others. It's great exercise no matter who I'm with. Sometimes I set a goal for finds.... sometimes I just go. I appreciate what others have done out there, taking time, effort and money, to place these items so myself and all of us can enjoy it.

It is a time to see places and things most people won't see in their lifetime, because they probably don't even realize these places are there and often in the own back yards.

It is a more fulfilling way to spend a vacation, rather then doing ALL touristy things. Again... often times taking me to places I would not have seen otherwise. Hubby and I enjoy the really old cemetaries, looking at the oldest birth dates,etc, pondering what life was like back then. To see out-of-the-way places and unique finds.

My list goes on and on. Most of all I have to say it is a chance to meet down to earth people, of all ages, who have similar interests. I have made some wonderful friends with so many of you....especially the group at my Up Nord Event. Cachers, for the most part are very special people and I am very greatful for having bought that ONE copy of Wisconsin Trails magazine, with that little article about Geocaching!

Luv ya guys!!

Anne

Folk Trakers
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:49 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hey Beast: who are you calling children? Team Synergy is fueled by Double Stuffs!

Also, what is R.A.S.H?....other than the effect I have after I finish caching in a very prickly, thorny area.

Trudy and the beast
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:55 pm Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by Folk Trakers:
Hey Beast: who are you calling children? Team Synergy is fueled by Double Stuffs!

Also, what is R.A.S.H?....other than the effect I have after I finish caching in a very prickly, thorny area.

Now if the shoe fits...
you may have to take my foot out of it.

R.A.S.H.: Recreation, Activity, Sport, Hobby

~tb

[This message has been edited by Trudy & the beast (edited 11-02-2005).]

kbraband
WGA Historian

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:33 pm Reply with quote Back to top

From my geocaching page ( http://www.rocketink.com/geocachi.htm ):

Why I geocache

If you've hunted more than one of my caches, you may see a pattern. I like cache hunts that take you to new places in the outdoors that you may not otherwise have visited; places with great hiking trails and scenic views. I'm not into creating caches that require math gymnastics to solve a puzzle. (I don't mean to disparage those who create these kinds of hunts. I appreciate the effort that goes into making them, and I know many geocachers enjoy "puzzler" hunts. They're just not my favorites.)

Also, I don't get a big thrill out of caches that are extremely difficult to find once you arrive at the coordinates. I have hunted many of these, and it's easy to see the damage to local plants when geocachers search a long time in a concentrated area. I'd rather have a difficult trek to a remote location, then be able to find the cache within a reasonable amount of time.

For me, the last four lines of the Robert Service poem listed above capture the essence of what I get out of geocaching, and why I create cache hunts for others to enjoy:

It's the great, big, broad land way up yonder,
It's the forests where silence has lease;
It's the beauty that thrills me with wonder,
It's the stillness that fills me with peace."

Sure, there are caches with more scenic places and longer hikes than ones we list below. But that's not the point. It's not a competition. It's not about whose cache is best. Or who's the first one to find a cache. It's all about broadening your horizons. Getting outdoors and experiencing a part of a park or forest you haven't been to before. And coming back home with a better appreciation for life outside the four walls of the indoors.

greyhounder
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:59 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I cache because I can. In a world where I feel pointless and out of place, I can forget everything that makes me sad or angry and find something that makes me happy. While geocaching I can spend time with myself and not feel alone -- I am going and seeking what others have done before me. I feel a part of something larger than myself. I love the out of doors anyways, but that can be a very desolate and solitary thing -- geocaching makes me part of the bigger picture.

Geocaching is not a R.A.S.H (although I like the term a lot) for me -- it's just what I do.

Bec

------------------
There are no shortcuts to any place worth going

Geoffnsara
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:41 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Did Someone say Oreo Double stuff?

EnergySaver
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:21 pm Reply with quote Back to top

For me it’s two different things that are almost unrelated … which now that I think of it, is a bit odd (or ironic) … oh, well others have called me that, why can’t I.

#1 HIDING Caches
My mind is either all the way on or all the way off, no in between. I need a creative vent and I have a desire to use it to “entertain” others and have them enjoy it. I have no art skills, no musical skills and can’t sing. I use to write murder mystery plays, direct them and perform them … but I don’t like relying on others, so it drove me nuts. So my hides are all about “entertaining” others, at least I hope they do … which means I live to see what people type in their log entries. This is about 75% of geocaching for me.

#2 FINDING Caches
I love taking my family to places we’ve never been before … but I hate driving … so geocaching does a great job of leading us to small places we’ve never seen, in communities that we’ve been to. My idea of a perfect cache, is a 30 minute walk down a path in a woods, to a creative but not too tough to find cache … with my family and maybe some friends (geocachers or not). I don’t really pay much attention to our numbers, but I do get bummed if we get a “no find”. Geocaching makes me WANT to walk and exercise, rather than feeling I SHOULD. Also, I tend to worry about stuff all the time … but while geocaching I never seem to think about anything but where I am and who I am with.

For us finding out about geocaching was an accident … I was searching the web for satellite map images to prepare to complain to our town officials about some unsafe/unmarked roads in our neighborhood … don’t remember what I typed in the search engine, but geocaching.com popped up.

[This message has been edited by EnergySaver (edited 11-03-2005).]

russell_53040
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:08 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Wow don’t know were to start on this. Well I guess I will respond to some of the post so far and then tell ya why and what I get out of it. Oh before I do I must warn ya all. I my grammar SUCKS. Lol Ok now back to what I gotta say.
BQ:
Don’t know were to start on this but heck I will just let it rip. GO GARMIN GO GARMIN hahah just had to do that. Ok I got a few things to say and that is have you wonder why I let you lead. LOL Now if I could just remember what the other things were.

Brkster:
I enjoy it when we are in a group to. I hate going by myself because I don’t have a intelligent conversation with myself.

Trudy & the beast:
You ever have chocolate covered grasshoppers. I really would like to try them once. Oreo cookies rule. I like the double stuff the best. Don’t ever get the ones that turn your milk colors they suck. Rash yep got one of them once when I was in the woods. Don’t remember what I was doing.

Cache_boppin_BunnyFuFu
Yep you got that right. Before this well I still do collect Hotwheels. I have made a lot of friends from that hobby. Don’t know if any of them will admit that they are my friend. I really enjoy meeting new people and hanging out with the ones I have meet. Make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Kbraband
I love going to places that I never knew were there. I have done a lot of them and they are by far the best. I am also not a big fan of puzzle caches or ones that I have to use my noodle on. It hurts when I think.

Greyhounder:
You hit that one on the head for me. I couldn’t agree with you more.

Geoffnsara
I have some on the fridge. YUM YUM dang it I dropped it in the milk.

EnergySaver
Are we related I have none of them skills either.

Ok now for why and what I get out of this. Were to start.
Well one reason I got into this was I was hoping I would loose my wife in the woods but I then realized that someone would just find her and bring her back home. I don’t like to exercise but don’t know what it is but I enjoy the walking. I even think I lost some pounds. I try and bring my best friend with but that is not always possible. So he does come with me when I go and place a cache. I don’t go out every day so when I am ask by someone (Ecorangers) I jump at it. I like when I have someone keeps me going. The wife is just to slow. I really enjoy going to places that I never knew were there. I have been to a few and plan on going back to them again someday. Well if I think of anymore I will post more later. My time is up one of the other inmates want to use the puter. I was told if I was lucky I might be able to go out this weekend if the parole officer lets me. Its about the adventure and making new friends what I get out of it. Now you guys can wake up.

ecorangers
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:23 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Ha! Russ you crack me up! A couple things in terms of your comments, my friend, and, yes, I guess I will be the first to admit that we are honored to call you friend! First, I do believe you are related to Ron--you guys kind of look alike. Second, I know from having had to carry you up a couple of hills that you haven't lost any weight! In fact, I think you are getting heavier.... Oh, and I spoke with your parole officer and he said no way he is letting you out this weekend; he knows you intend to knock over a Pick-N-Save for Oreos! Image

Thank you Queenie for such a great thread! Your choice of topic, and response, shows your insight, love, and understanding of this great adventure we call geocaching. We feel lucky, like others who in this thread have so profoundly stated, to have found this sport which has brought us so much joy, friendship, and fun! It all began with Professor reading about geocaching in a magazine while sitting in the sauna at the West Bend YMCA....

When the Beast speaks, as he has above, I think it is almost always worth it to listen to him (one exception that comes to mind involves his undergarments, but that's another story! Image). Ahem, anyway, we believe strongly, like the Beast, that it is about the bonds of friendship. We feel honored to have met so many great people: to become friends, to laugh together, hunt caches together, tell stories together, and encounter the often awesome wonders we would have probably never encountered outside of geocaching. Image

Another thing we love about geocaching are the adventures and, maybe even more, the stories that come out of them! I love it when I get the privilege of reading one of JThorson's hilarious logs! Or when someone logs that they really enjoyed one of our caches. Heck, I even love it when Russell trips me, sprints to the cache site and finds the dang thing, and then dances around singing, "Go Garmin, Go Garmin"; or when we were Up Nord and Anne tried to put everyone to sleep with Jazz! Image I hate to admit it, but I even love the logs from Astro-Don complaining about bugs or the cold! Okay...I will even go so far as to say (like I have a choice) that I love it when Earth Angel gets the van stuck in another ditch! Image

While there is so much to love about geocaching, and I could go on and on, I will finish by reflecting a little bit about what motivates us to go for the numbers we have strove for over these last two years. Both Earth Angel and I were raised as competitive athletes. Tami was once a nationally-ranked triathelete, and I played football (briefly for the Chicago Blitz). The sport aspect of geocaching, challenging ourselves against our own goals, pushing ourselves physically, appeals to that nature. Often hiking over 20 miles in a day, or caching for 18 hours straight, for some strange reason thrills us. Image Having said that, and not denying that the numbers do mean something to us, we also try to promote and grow Wisconsin geocaching (really, an Evil Monkey, in his own twisted way, promotes geocaching!), and do our small part in trying to make the environment a little better than before we were there. We believe strongly in the freedom and individuality of geocaching, and respect individual interpretations of what is important. Have we make mistakes? You bet. Yet who hasn't? But I think the important thing is that we are growing and learning as individuals, as a family, and as a great community of friends!

Thank you all for being such an important part of our geocaching experience and our lives. We feel honored and blessed to know you, and we look forward to so many more great times together! Image
-Wade (Professor)

russell_53040
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:35 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Ahhhh Shucks Wade I feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Forget it was just a fur ball. Image

Bushwhacking Queen
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 11:04 pm Reply with quote Back to top

FuFu you summed it up: love. There is so much love in these posts I can bust!

I have learned a lot about the cachers who have posted and I challenge you, you know who you are: the ones reading and not posting, to tell us why you like to cache or what it brings to your life.

This thread has turned out exactly how I had hoped. We are getting to know one another and our bonds are growing even stronger. Why? Because we realize that regardless of how different we are, we are truly the same in some aspects. We have a bond: geocaching.

Keep the positive energy flowing and please share what geocaching means to you or what it brings to your life, and build our "family" even stronger.

B.Queen

Mama Fishcacher
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 10:34 am Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by Bushwhacking Queen:
I challenge you, you know who you are: the ones reading and not posting, to tell us why you like to cache or what it brings to your life.

Ok. You busted me. Image I've been enjoying reading this post, but haven't posted yet.

I like to cache because:

-I love being in the woods.
-I love the accomplishment of finding the cache (I've always been a very goal oriented person.)
-I love seeing where people take me right here in my neighborhood and even to other towns I would never have visited otherwise
-I love driving past an area I've already found a cache and pointing out, "there's a cache over there" to my hubby who rarely caches with me. Image
-I love finding beautiful places. Being in the outdoors is my *church*. And when I don't get outdoors for awhile, my spirit gets malnourished. Geocaching gets me outdoors more often.

~Mama Fishcacher

View next topic
View previous topic