49.png BOD Info Center

17.png Forums
16.png New Posts
20.png Unanswered Posts

calendar_day.png Upcoming Events
mapicon.png Map
29.png Calendar
11.png Submit Event

mapicon.png WGA State Park CachesNew content !

shield_star.png Cache of the Month
mapicon.png Past Winners Map

LonelyCache.png Lonely Cache Game
mapicon.png Current Map
26.png Scoreboard
11.png Submit Report

rescueiconsm.png Cache Rescue
11.png Submit a Mission

icon_community.gif Members
27.png Your Account
47.png Private Messages
contact_blue.png WGA Member Map
Geocaching_LIVE_poweredby_16.png GC.COM Authorization

icon_members.gif News
tree-T.gif Topics
tree-T.gif Archives
tree-L.gif Submit News

image_cultured.png Photo Gallery
tree-T.gif Updates
tree-L.gif Popular

shield.png Fun Stuff
28.png Recent Logs
TB.gif Picnic to Picnic TB Race Standings
TB.gif WGA Hauler

49.png Board of Directors

Contact Us

Facebook

Wisconsin Geocaching Association

Follow Us

Twitter Button

Subscribe to Newsletter

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

Geocaching.com Search
View Search Syntax

COTM
Winner -
June 2014 Northern Zone:
Forbidden Fruit

Winner -
June 2014 Northeast Zone:
Wildlife & Travel Bug Sanctuary

Winner -
June 2014 West Central Zone:
Pirates of the Roche-a-Cri

Winner -
June 2014 South Central Zone:
The Big "K"

Winner -
June 2014 Southeast Zone:
Whoomp! There It Is

Winner -
June 2014 Series of the Month:

More Info >>>

Wisconsin Geocaching Association: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
hogrod
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:31 am Reply with quote Back to top

after recieving numerous emails not to let other issues make me leave the forum, i am not going to go anywhere, though i will probably be slightly less active. I did figure i would let those people who took the time to email me know that i appreciated it.
as for the back and forth basic arguing, there is a way to stop this. since the real issues in the topic i started were already answered and everything turned into a big flame war, as the topic starter i decided that it was best for everyone to just delete the whole thing.

last thing i wanted was to start anything, and to anyone that i offened with my opinion, i apologise. i will say that i have always looked to forums as great tools for sharing ideas/helping. sometimes people forget that an idea is differant than an opinion. opinions are best left for blogs that no one cares to read, that way no one will get offended by other members of the forum.
before i go i would like to say since we all live in the same state, we are all basicly neighbors and should really try to get along better.

[This message has been edited by hogrod (edited 12-02-2005).]

MajorBrat
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:45 am Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by hogrod:
after recieving numerous emails not to let other issues make me leave the forum, i am not going to go anywhere, though i will probably be slightly less active. I did figure i would let those people who took the time to email me know that i appreciated it.
as for the back and forth basic arguing, there is a way to stop this. since the real issues in the topic i started were already answered and everything turned into a big flame war, as the topic starter i decided that it was best for everyone to just delete the whole thing.

last thing i wanted was to start anything, and to anyone that i offened with my opinion, i apologise. i will say that i have always looked to forums as great tools for sharing ideas/helping. sometimes people forget that an idea is differant than an opinion. opinions are best left for blogs that no one cares to read, that way no one will get offended by other members of the forum.
before i go i would like to say since we all live in the same state, we are all basicly neighbors and should really try to get along better.

Like I said in your last topic thread, "Are you kidding me?!"
THIS is the perfect place for us to give our opinions, but I respect your opinion of the "blog" idea.
I don't know what else happened in your last thread. I was at work all day, but it seems I missed some things. Oh well.
~MB

Cache_boppin_BunnyFuFu
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:21 am Reply with quote Back to top

It's true what MajorBrat has to say... this is what forums are for, to give an opinion. If there were no opinions the world wouldn't get anywhere. I respect the fact that any arguing was left to e-mails too. I have had some interesting situations arise in forums but it has not stopped my paticipation. Please, by all means, stick around and offer your input. Anything anyone happens to offer just might lead to something awesome.

hogrod
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:09 am Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by Cache_boppin_BunnyFuFu:
It's true what MajorBrat has to say... this is what forums are for, to give an opinion. If there were no opinions the world wouldn't get anywhere. I respect the fact that any arguing was left to e-mails too. I have had some interesting situations arise in forums but it has not stopped my paticipation. Please, by all means, stick around and offer your input. Anything anyone happens to offer just might lead to something awesome.

"sometimes people forget that an idea is differant than an opinion." i guess i need to elaborate on what i said, I agree that sharing ones thoughts and ideas is great. it's how some members of this forum share there thoughts that i call in to question. it's great that we have people on both sides of every issue but posting flaming comments and typing "my opinion" afterward isn't the way to get ones point of veiw across. people really need to think before they type and ask them self "how are other people going to perceive what i am saying?
i guess i am guilty of confusing opinion and attitude. no one i can think of wants a flame war. if we try to be more careful how we say things, maybe we would have a slightly friendlier forum, on every topic(even the normally hot ones).

I'm gonna call it for what it is. slapping "MY opinion" after a flaming post is just a cover for people trying to start S____. there is way better ways to get your thoughts across without bringing attitude to the table. I want to hear both sides of every issue, maybe i am wrong where I'm coming from and your point of view may change mine. the problem is that when flaming comes in we sometimes don't hear what the person is really trying to say.

wzbt03
WGA Friend

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:14 am Reply with quote Back to top

It is often said on this forum - geocache any way you want. If you like number chasing or whatever, go for it.

The same should be said of the forum.
Post what you want.
An occasional spicy comment should just be viewed as someone else's opinion.

In the somewhat sleepy dialogue that sometimes appears on this forum, having someones pulse quicken is not all bad.

Group hugs are not always what everyone wants. Some people will always disagree and let the rest of us decide whose opinion merits consideration.

hogrod
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:11 am Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by wzbt03:
It is often said on this forum - geocache any way you want. If you like number chasing or whatever, go for it.

The same should be said of the forum.
Post what you want.
An occasional spicy comment should just be viewed as someone else's opinion.

In the somewhat sleepy dialogue that sometimes appears on this forum, having someones pulse quicken is not all bad.

Group hugs are not always what everyone wants. Some people will always disagree and let the rest of us decide whose opinion merits consideration.

please no group hugs.... i aint like that.
i just think that some of us need to learn to reword our opinions as to not convey an attitude problem(not directed at you wzbt03, your post had all opinion/attitude removed and was nothing but the basic idea). does anyone actually like to read the rude,inconsiderate logs some people make everytime they post?
as i am a member of more than 20 forums and this one has some of the worst behaviour i have seen.... i guess if thats what the majority of you want GREAT! i guess next time there is an arguement i will turn a new leaf and push a few buttons instead.

i guess i am just shocked that anyone likes to read the garbage, who would have thought.

Bushwhacking Queen
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:40 am Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
"people really need to think before they type and ask them self "how are other people going to perceive what i am saying?

Bushwhacking Queen
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:00 am Reply with quote Back to top

Opinions are great, however, when you start attacking a person individually for their opinion that is where these forums go too far.

A debate is challenging a person, but when in that debate a person attacks another as a defense rather than rationalize it, that is no longer a debate.

Heated conversations are great: stating opinion, supporting evidence, etc. That is called critical thinking. It is when a person states "just because," "that is the way it should be," or starts making accusations about a person without having hard facts, supporting evidence, etc., well that isn't thinking critically.

I'm all for someone challenging me on my position becuase that causes me to apply critical thinking, seeing it from another side, and then, possibly, changing my position.

I was taught to agree to disagree. That, however, doesn't mean to accept being attacked personally, falsly accused of things, and my personality spoken about negativly. We all make mistakes, the question is do we learn from them, dwell on them, or move on!?

Cache_boppin_BunnyFuFu
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:27 am Reply with quote Back to top

quote:

please no group hugs.... i aint like that.

i guess i am just shocked that anyone likes to read the garbage, who would have thought.

For the first comment:
O~~~ O~~~ O~~~
Da Fu sends 3 sloppy snowballs at hogrod...."You said no hugs"

For the second comment:
Amen to THAT one. Things pass, people forget...or at least should learn to just give it up. Like the Wise & Wonderous Bushwhacking Queen stated, there is no need to attack in forum. For "me" personally...if no one dies, loses a limb, or does anything illegal... then I gotta get over it!! And I REALLY don't think any of those things can happen in discussion on here......can they??!!

My 2 cents + a quarter....hey it's the Holiday!!

PS BQ is my idle! {{{giggle}}} Image

[This message has been edited by Cache_boppin_BunnyFuFu (edited 12-02-2005).]

Green Bay Paddlers
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:46 am Reply with quote Back to top

I've locked horns with a few people over the years in these forums. I've learned that humor and sarcasm are usually misinterpreted (unless you add 15-20 smiley faces, etc...)

However, I do agree that debate can lead to policy changes. Which is good... If you have concerns about the future of geocaching, it's best to come on-line and hash them out in a forum of your peers. While I disagree with many WGA members about things, I still respect them as people. It's when folks start flaming posts or start making assumptions about me personally...that's when I get frustrated.

wooden_nickel
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:13 am Reply with quote Back to top

Deleting the topic was probably a good idea, but I wish I would have saved my post about honesty. It really is the fueling, sad topic behind some of the frustration. I would re-type it, but I have to go to bed, feed the hog, pay the bills...(If you haven't watched Christmas Vacation, I recommended it 20-30 times between now and Christmas!)

So, in short, play the game as you like, but play it honestly. It's the holiday's...I hope people don't steal coins, and I hope people actually find as many caches as they want to. But in the end, we are all cachers alike whether it is 10 caches found or thousands of caches found! No jealousy, no insecurity, just fun honest personal caching!

If I only had one of those coins, then maybe I would develop a destruct feature for it and release it. If you hold it too long, then bang!

Mistakes happen and we all need to move on. From the words of one very veteran cacher(not myself), one thing we can take from this all is to help educate new cachers on how to play the game. Whether it be what constitues a find, how coins and travel bugs work etc. so we don't have to sit on these forums and make accusations(right or wrong) against each other!

Team Honeybunnies
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:53 am Reply with quote Back to top

"Save the neck for me Clark!"

Cachew
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:32 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Did someone say, 'wzbt03'?

GeoPink
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:44 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Posts designed to stir the pot can often be a double edged sword. There is always room for dissent and discussion. I've given my opinion more than once and it was very clear that it was no more than that.

When posts begin to talk specifically about or to one particular person, that is a personal matter that should be settled outside the forums. When posts are written in the 2nd person (you) then it is more than likely better said to that person only and privately.

I understand the need to defend one's honor when attacked, intentionally or not. The important thing is to be the bigger individual and let the offending post/poster speak for themselves. If you feel the need to reply, then by all means do so via email.

I'm not a big fan of deleting entire topics because they often will contain things written by folks who want their voice to be heard. The better option I feel is to "close" the topic. I believe the thread owner has the right to do that and if not, please request it in the thread and a moderator/administrator will be more than happy to do that for you.

Supper is calling...

------------------
Team GeoPink
- Jeff
Co-conspirator to make the world a better place...

wzbt03
WGA Friend

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:46 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, Wzbt03 it is.

I decided to come back and see how things were going on the forum and with the WGA in general.

In relation to the geocoin project - good job WGA. Great team effort working together and putting out a superior coin at a reasonable price. I am sure that lots of people donated tons of time and effort to make it happen and thanks for the special coin I was sent (they know what I mean).

However, judging by the above comments, things are pretty much the same.

I ask this question very sincerely....
Why does someone also have to issue threats to close topics by the "administators"?

Maybe I didn't want to come back after all, very little has changed from the looks of it. This is purely a comment by one of the "little people" otherwise known as one of the membership.

View next topic
View previous topic