49.png BOD Info Center

17.png Forums
16.png New Posts
20.png Unanswered Posts

calendar_day.png Upcoming Events
mapicon.png Map
29.png Calendar
11.png Submit Event

mapicon.png WGA State Park CachesNew content !

shield_star.png Cache of the Month
mapicon.png Past Winners Map

LonelyCache.png Lonely Cache Game
mapicon.png Current Map
26.png Scoreboard
11.png Submit Report

rescueiconsm.png Cache Rescue
11.png Submit a Mission

icon_community.gif Members
27.png Your Account
47.png Private Messages
contact_blue.png WGA Member Map
Geocaching_LIVE_poweredby_16.png GC.COM Authorization

icon_members.gif News
tree-T.gif Topics
tree-T.gif Archives
tree-L.gif Submit News

image_cultured.png Photo Gallery
tree-T.gif Updates
tree-L.gif Popular

shield.png Fun Stuff
28.png Recent Logs
TB.gif Picnic to Picnic TB Race Standings
TB.gif WGA Hauler

49.png Board of Directors

Contact Us

Facebook

Wisconsin Geocaching Association

Follow Us

Twitter Button

Subscribe to Newsletter

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

Geocaching.com Search
View Search Syntax

COTM
Winner -
March 2014 Northern Zone:
Apostle Islands-Mawikwe Sea Caves

Winner -
March 2014 Northeast Zone:
Moscow, We Have A Problem

Winner -
March 2014 West Central Zone:
World Wide Quarters

Winner -
March 2014 South Central Zone:
WSQ Dunn

Winner -
March 2014 Southeast Zone:
Risen King

Winner -
March 2014 Series of the Month:
Woodpecker Series of Johnson Creek

More Info >>>

Wisconsin Geocaching Association: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
CB&MB
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:37 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I know how much fun it can be to hide a cache. I know how exciting it is when we get that famous e-mail showing us that someone has visited our hide. I also know how annoying it is to have to filter through numerous threads about hides waiting for approval.

What ever happened to people looking at the Groundspeak site to see what new caches are in their area?

If in fact someone wants to let us know about a new cache they have, can't we put it in the "Recommended Caches" page? Isn't that a better place to look for a cache that's being recommended?

Hmmmm.....
~MB

hogrod
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:24 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I would totally agree that the Recommended Caches page is the best place for these posts, but also think it really doesn't matter since there isn't a high volume of post on this forum anyway. any threads that gets more people participating in this forum is a good thing.

The thing I really like about people posting new listings in threads is I get to see caches I would probably have missed searching geocaching.com with my zipcode. doesn't mean I am gonna run out and put on 200 miles on my car and do them, but still nice to see.

GrouseTales
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:39 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I have to agree with you MB. Perhaps once a cache is actually approved it could show up in the Recommended Caches forum.

What if the cache is annnounced to the members but doesnt make it through the approval process? I would feel bad for the person making the announcement. I know it's exciting to hide a cache and wait for the first finders, but it might be prudent to wait a while.

Posting a cache that hasn't been approved yet, is sort of like announcing your pregnant because you are about to get lucky Image

rpaske
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:46 pm Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by GrouseTales:

...Posting a cache that hasn't been approved yet, is sort of like announcing your pregnant because you are about to get lucky Image

A pregnant woman from Washington, D.C. gets in a car accident and falls into a deep coma. Asleep for nearly six months, when she wakes up she sees that she is no longer pregnant and frantically asks the doctor about her baby. The doctor replies, "Ma'am you had twins! A boy and a girl. Your brother from Maryland came in and named them."
The woman thinks to herself, "No, not my brother... he's an idiot!"

She asks the doctor, "Well, what's the girl's name?"

"Denise."

"Wow, that's not a bad name, I like it! What's the boy's name?"

"Denephew. "

I hope that this isn't off topic (*wink*) Oh, this is not an official post of any one that's is official or anyone that wishes to be official. (*wink*)

EnergySaver
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:22 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I have to agree that it doesn't make sense to announce new caches on the WGA, since the GC system already does a great job of announcing caches. At the same time, I can understand the excitment of a new cache. It might make sense to announce only a "super challenging" puzzling cache ... to kinda throw the challenge in the ring ... and in that case it could go on recommended caches, as others have stated. But just a regular cache or a multi-cache or an average mystery/puzzle should not be announce by the OWNER.

For the sake of those that tend to do this ... don't worry, your cache will be found ... I placed one that got approved late last night, by the time I noticed it was approved, three people had found it already ... and I live in "the sticks", sort of. There are people out there doing nothing but looking for brand new caches ... and the Premium member feature that automatically emails them of new caches, is getting the word out.

Bushwhacking Queen
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:21 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I have seen a thread or two announcing new caches, but I didn't think they were in high numbers. I can understand the excitement of the hider. Yes, I personally think that the Recommended Cache section is a better place for it, however, there typically isn't a lot of activity (visits) in that area is there?

So here are some more questions:

Are there more than one caching team doing this?
Is/are these teams newer to hiding and/or caching?
Did an experienced cacher contact them off-line and recommend that it may not be a good idea and why?
Is/are the caching team newer to the WGA forums?
If the team(s) is, do you think this could possibly sour them to the forums?

Team Honeybunnies
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:39 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Ditto, BQ. Everybody who posted previously have had a point. This isn't the proper place for announcing new caches. But... other than keeping the boards neat & tidy, what did we gain by pointing out their faux pas?

They posted their new cache on the MN boards as well. Obviously they are excited about their idea. Good for them. Over there it was simply not replied to, which ought to be statement enough.

If you check their profile, they've been relatively inactive in the past, but seem to be getting the bug. Perhaps they perceive their lukewarm reception on the boards as indifference or cliqueishness?

EnergySaver
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:47 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Bunnies and Queen ... you have good points ... I think the last thing we want to do is scare people off ... especially people hiding more caches for us to find :-)

Actually, if you read the description for "Recommended Caches" it DOES include the phrase "New Caches" ... so it would be ok to suggest your own new cache there.

MajorBrat
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:33 pm Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by Bushwhacking Queen:
Yes, I personally think that the Recommended Cache section is a better place for it, however, there typically isn't a lot of activity (visits) in that area is there?

That's kind of the point I was getting at. If people start posting their hides on the "Recommended Caches" page, it will have more activity.

Trudy and the beast
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:52 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hey if sombody wants to crow about what they have done, great. if they post it in the wrong forum, what harm has been done? If it isn't as orderly here as you would like it, that is unfortunate. If you are going to complain about it, all you will accomplish is creating a bit of angst in the guilty party. A kind word by e-mail would probably go a lot further.

JMHO
~tb

Team Honeybunnies
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:53 pm Reply with quote Back to top

That's kind of the point I was getting at. If people start posting their hides on the "Recommended Caches" page, it will have more activity. - from Major Brat. (Still learning the link thing.)

And that would definitely be a good thing Image. It's a great idea, and I've never understood why it's relatively unused. For the price of exactly nothing, you get to tell everyone about a great cache that may not be getting attention. Not every cache can be nominated for cache of the month. Well... yes they can, but since a nomination costs a vote, I'll be stumping one cache at a time.

[This message has been edited by Team Honeybunnies (edited 02-01-2006).]

CB&MB
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:41 pm Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by Trudy & the beast:
...A kind word by e-mail would probably go a lot further.

JMHO
~tb

Actually, you are 100% correct!!! The last time I sent a private e-mail (to a certain board nominee no less), she provided that information with at least one other person that I know of. In fact, that third party even made mention of it (in a private joke) on a recent intent to attend an event being held by the first person. So, you're 100% correct Beast! If we send e-mails, they do go far...right into another person's mailbox.

As for the rest, if you and/or others have so much trouble with the questions I ask, then do as Grousetales suggests: "change the channel"...

My asking people to post recommended caches on the recommended caches page seems very logical.

Contrary to what certain small minds may think, I don't get on here with the intent to upset people. I get on here when I have a question to ask, or a point to interject to a topic. For reasons unknown to myself, and others, some feel it necessary to go on the immediate defensive attack each time I post. This makes me wonder two things: 1) Why do some people think it's okay to judge and scrutinize my every word (even though it often mirrors what's already been said by someone else), and 2) Who was the punching bag before I joined the WGA?

If your intent is to make me go away, it won't happen. As long as people post things, I'll read and reply when I feel the desire to do so. Isn't that what you just did?

[This message has been edited by CB&MB (edited 02-01-2006).]

Trudy and the beast
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:03 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Ouch,

It appears that I don't have the right to express MHO.

JMHO
~tb

hogrod
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:11 pm Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by CB&MB:
Contrary to what certain small minds may think, I don't get on here with the intent to upset people. I get on here when I have a question to ask, or a point to interject to a topic. For reasons unknown to myself, and others, some feel it necessary to go on the immediate defensive attack each time I post. This makes me wonder two things: 1) Why do so people think it's okay to judge and scrutinize my every word (even though it often mirrors what's already been said by someone else), and 2) Who was the punching bag before I joined the WGA?
[/B]

I could have sent a private email about this but I think this is relevent to everyone. everyone agrees that they want to hear new ideas and opinions. its the way it comes across that people are taking so bad. people should really think about how they sound to others.
think about what you post, if you removed the "Contrary to what certain small minds may think" you would be eliminating quite a few of backlash posts. reading this sentence alone makes others think poorly of you.(my half way nice way to say it makes you sound like a B____H)If you really are here to just ask opinions or to bring something to everyones attention, then editing out the negitivity should be an easy thing.

in short instead of starting a new thread just as a backlash to things that you don't like(are you the geocaching/board police?), wouldn't have been easier to just post a reply on the topics in question to point these newcomers in the right direction?

EDIT:
after further reveiw of all the post on this thread I have not seen anyone that was being rude toward you in any way. so it looks like the small minded remarks were truly unnecessary.

[This message has been edited by hogrod (edited 02-01-2006).]

CB&MB
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:41 pm Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by hogrod:
(my half way nice way to say it makes you sound like a B____H)If you really are here to just ask opinions or to bring something to everyones attention, then editing out the negitivity should be an easy thing.

Thanks for the half nice comment, but the truth is I am a "B___H"...at least that's what many people here think. It's okay though. Here's the thing, no matter what I say, how nice or sugar-coated it may be, or even if I ignore an issue all together...there is someone who wants to take what I say, twist and turn it into something it's not, and use it make me appear as they wish. So, what's the point of not just saying what I think? That way, those who see the true comment/question will take it and run, and those who have their own agenda will do what they do and I will continue to appear a "B___H"

quote:
in short instead of starting a new thread just as a backlash to things that you don't like(are you the geocaching/board police?), wouldn't have been easier to just post a reply on the topics in question to point these newcomers in the right direction?

Take a look at the threads on this site. How many of them are started because someone had a question? How many of them are started because someone wanted attention drawn to a specific topic? Isn't each thread started for a reason known to at least one person, the original topic starter? So this is my thread...which you apparently don't like. "Board police?" No thanks! There are enough people out there policing the threads. It's not just newcomers who are using threads other than the Recommended Caches page to post new ones. Seasoned cachers are doing it too (a couple of which have removed their threads once this one started...see, I am making people think).

quote:
...(my half way nice way to say it makes you sound like a B____H)...

...(are you the geocaching/board police)...

EDIT:
after further reveiw of all the post on this thread I have not seen anyone that was being rude toward you in any way. so it looks like the small minded remarks were truly unnecessary.

Though the original comment was not directed at you, I wonder why you don't find any of the above to be rude? Hmmmm...I rest my case. (LOL!)

MB

View next topic
View previous topic