49.png BOD Info Center

17.png Forums
16.png New Posts
20.png Unanswered Posts

calendar_day.png Upcoming Events
mapicon.png Map
29.png Calendar
11.png Submit Event

mapicon.png WGA State Park CachesNew content !

shield_star.png Cache of the Month
mapicon.png Past Winners Map

LonelyCache.png Lonely Cache Game
mapicon.png Current Map
26.png Scoreboard
11.png Submit Report

rescueiconsm.png Cache Rescue
11.png Submit a Mission

icon_community.gif Members
27.png Your Account
47.png Private Messages
contact_blue.png WGA Member Map
Geocaching_LIVE_poweredby_16.png GC.COM Authorization

icon_members.gif News
tree-T.gif Topics
tree-T.gif Archives
tree-L.gif Submit News

image_cultured.png Photo Gallery
tree-T.gif Updates
tree-L.gif Popular

shield.png Fun Stuff
28.png Recent Logs
TB.gif Picnic to Picnic TB Race Standings
TB.gif WGA Hauler

49.png Board of Directors

Contact Us

Facebook

Wisconsin Geocaching Association

Follow Us

Twitter Button

Subscribe to Newsletter

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

Geocaching.com Search
View Search Syntax

COTM
Winner -
July 2014 Northern Zone:
Call Box

Winner -
July 2014 Northeast Zone:
Twisted Metal

Winner -
July 2014 West Central Zone:
The Island

Winner -
July 2014 South Central Zone:
Puzzle of Books

Winner -
July 2014 Southeast Zone:
Make do with what you have

Winner -
July 2014 Series of the Month:
Door County Barn Quilt Series

More Info >>>

Wisconsin Geocaching Association: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
LDove
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:25 am Reply with quote Back to top

Maybe it is just me, but I have been finding that people are taking more than they are leaving. I started my caches out with good stuff, only to go back and find that people have left either nothing or junk. I have even counted and by the number of people that have visited and what started out there, people are taking 2 or 3 items each. Don't get me wrong, I don't expect to pick up valuable items, but you can pick up plenty of things that come in multiple packages at the dollar store or at sales and leave something nice for the next guy. I don't mind spending a little since it is my new hobby. I had to post this when someone actually cut a piece of their hair off and tied it in a knot and put it in a cache - gross! Leave me a keychain or a lapel pin or something, not hair!

[This message has been edited by lonesumdove (edited 02-23-2006).]

Buy_The_Tie
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:51 pm Reply with quote Back to top

No, it's not just you. Every single standard cache that I have put out suffers from the same problem.

If you want to have a cache stocked with "good" stuff, then you must go out once in a while and re-stock it and "trash out".

djwini
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:08 pm Reply with quote Back to top

i used to go to the dollar store and stock up, but now i have a signature item that i make, a little beaded pin with a logo card. if what i take seems more valuable than what i am leaving, i have some quarters that i add to the bag. most of my caches have been muggled, but i did go and check them and add stuff once in awhile--still all dollar store stuff.

LDove
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:42 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Glad it is not only me. In my opinion, people doing this hobby should be responsible to bring their own goodies along and if they take something, they should replace it with something of equal or greater value. I personally think it would sweeten the game a bit and not leave you or your kids disappointed when all they find is some soggy baseball cards and used chapstick (yes found this too). ech... I have restocked some of mine, but don't know if I will continue to do that or rather leave "good" stuff at the new ones I find.

Team Deejay
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:40 pm Reply with quote Back to top

When we take something from a cache, which is a rare occasion, we always leave the same thing, which we ALWAYS have with us on any hunt.....A pair of AA batteries. So, if you don't want to buy your own batteries, you can just trace back through all my finds and pick them up. Of course, since I only take something from about 2% of the caches we find, this could be a relatively inefficient way to procure battery power.

LightningBugs Mum
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:40 pm Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by Buy_The_Tie:
No, it's not just you. Every single standard cache that I have put out suffers from the same problem.

If you want to have a cache stocked with "good" stuff, then you must go out once in a while and re-stock it and "trash out".

I go out to clean and restock my bigger caches a couple times a year. It is amazing what people will leave there. An empty Tic Tac box? Is there some kind of value to these I don't know about? And may I add - Please don't stuff something too big into the smaller ones. If you want to trade out of small caches, get some small stuff!!!

Thank you - I feel better now. Image

------------------
Team LightningBugs

AstroD-Team
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:35 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I have come across the same issues when out caching. Because of this, 98% of the time I just sign the logbook and don't even bother to look through the cache contents.

Is this part of the reason why micros are becoming so popular? Less chance for trash to be put in them?

LDove
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:06 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Tic Tac box - interesting, perhaps they thought it could be used as a micro? (I may try that) HA! Razz It would help if everyone would just replace something equal to what they take and consider the next person. AND DON'T STEAL GEO-COINS FOR CRYIN' OUT LOUD! By the way, I would be totally stoked if I found a set of batteries - whoohoo! Smile

LDove
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:08 pm Reply with quote Back to top

P.S. Micros are fun too, but being the kid inside that I am, I like a goodie now and then.

Flushingrouse
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:29 pm Reply with quote Back to top

------------------
~Flushingrouse~
Bill Pulvermacher
WGA Secretary
Flushingrouse at wi-geocaching dot com

LDove
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:09 pm Reply with quote Back to top

List your favorite things to find/leave in a cache. Maybe some people will get good ideas on stuff to leave.

I have put in my caches so far all free or bought for under .25:
magnetic key holders
5 set of christmas lights
lapel pins
key chains
holiday jewelry in package
small christmas ornaments
small picture frames
pencil erasers (seasonal) 100 in a package for .25
bracelets
I like to try to find things for guys, cause of alot of the stuff is for kids and men like to do this too! So guys, what would YOU like to find? (keep it clean) ha!
I have gone to my local Chamber and gotten pencils, pens, stickers. From Fire Department I got balloons, firefighter badges, pens, stickers, tattoos, 911 magnets. Sheriff's Department and local police department gave me all kinds of crime prevention, drug awareness stuff for kids too. Wisconsin Dells Chamber sent me 100 pens to promote Wisconsin.

I personally like keychains and lapel pins.

[This message has been edited by lonesumdove (edited 02-23-2006).]

Timberline Echoes
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:06 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Beanie Babies, smashed Geo pennies, Geo stickers, our logo attached to a clear stone, books, happy meal toys...

Favorite things we have taken... minature games on key chains, match box car for ET, small football for grandson, eye glass rope thingys so you can find your sunglasses and not drop them, small books, Italian charms with Geo and WGA logo.
Lately we have not been taking much of anything. Usually sign with TNLNSL.
Timberline Echoes

Trudy and the beast
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:55 pm Reply with quote Back to top

We have experienced a mix with our caches. We have tried to stuff our caches full of individually bagged (ziplock) items with the Idea that this is for the kids. Few stash items are really of any interest to us. Some of the caches have done rather well and some have not. Ghost Train Station 5 is full if the kids want to visit. Walk the trail from #3 the kids will love walking across the freeway on the old RR bridge. I guess the thought we have is that when we put it out, we really don't expect anything in return. We routinely TNLNSL and hope that the little ones will find some treasure when they visit. ~T&tb

PCFrog
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:16 am Reply with quote Back to top

It is a shame that people would leave items such as an empty Tic Tac box and the alike but I’ve seen this as well. While this is a problem with what cachers are leaving it seems to me that there is also a slight relation to how often a cache is maintained by the owner. The more junk allowed to pile up in a cache = more junk to be left since future cachers only see that junk. This is not an attack against any specific owner but I seen the logs where the owners are only looking after their cache once a year and those caches are typically filled with junk.

This kind of goes back to how many caches should an owner have. Typically I hear as many as they can take care of. I only have two caches right now but I guarantee that they are not filled with junk and I check on them often. By keeping the cache up people probably view it better and won’t leave junk.

Don’t get me wrong it is not JUST the owners fault. Some cachers are not trading properly. But by not properly maintaining the cache invites more junk.

This also could be a problem with the region. Are caches closer to the cities filled with more junk than those in rural areas?

I only once so far came across a cache while traveling to FL that was totally filled with pure junk. I totally dumped the cache contents into a bag, except log book, and restocked the cache with a few items so it would not be empty. I only did this once and will defiantly not be something I do often since not my job to take care of other people’s caches. I seen a few post before how some people would replace damaged caches as well.

Anyhow…
Typically I leave behind lapel pins, (new) mouse pads, can cozies, key chains, compasses, mini flash lights, hot wheels cars, mini calculators, lanyards, and such.

Things we found that were neat. A laser pointer (used it for several science experiments for the girls), a used gift card for Best Buy that had a few dollars on it (Daughter found the cache so she took it with no idea that it would have money on it. I thought it would be blank.). Beanie babies for or geodog, a geode that the girls were able to break open.

LDove
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:33 am Reply with quote Back to top

These are some very good suggestions! PCFrog, I will have to come up to your neck of the woods and find your caches. The items you leave sound great. I agree that maintenance is a good idea. Those of you who have suggested that have actually changed my mind on how many I plan to put out there. I think I may keep my number smaller than originally planned so I can keep a close eye on them as I already have limited time resources and want to spend any free time I do have out there finding new ones!

View next topic
View previous topic