49.png BOD Info Center

17.png Forums
16.png New Posts
20.png Unanswered Posts

calendar_day.png Upcoming Events
mapicon.png Map
29.png Calendar
11.png Submit Event

mapicon.png WGA State Park CachesNew content !

shield_star.png Cache of the Month
mapicon.png Past Winners Map

LonelyCache.png Lonely Cache Game
mapicon.png Current Map
26.png Scoreboard
11.png Submit Report

rescueiconsm.png Cache Rescue
11.png Submit a Mission

icon_community.gif Members
27.png Your Account
47.png Private Messages
contact_blue.png WGA Member Map
Geocaching_LIVE_poweredby_16.png GC.COM Authorization

icon_members.gif News
tree-T.gif Topics
tree-T.gif Archives
tree-L.gif Submit News

image_cultured.png Photo Gallery
tree-T.gif Updates
tree-L.gif Popular

shield.png Fun Stuff
28.png Recent Logs
TB.gif Picnic to Picnic TB Race Standings
TB.gif WGA Hauler

49.png Board of Directors

Contact Us

Facebook

Wisconsin Geocaching Association

Follow Us

Twitter Button

Subscribe to Newsletter

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

Geocaching.com Search
View Search Syntax

COTM
Winner -
March 2014 Northern Zone:
Apostle Islands-Mawikwe Sea Caves

Winner -
March 2014 Northeast Zone:
Moscow, We Have A Problem

Winner -
March 2014 West Central Zone:
World Wide Quarters

Winner -
March 2014 South Central Zone:
WSQ Dunn

Winner -
March 2014 Southeast Zone:
Risen King

Winner -
March 2014 Series of the Month:
Woodpecker Series of Johnson Creek

More Info >>>

Wisconsin Geocaching Association: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Team Deejay
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:51 am Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by NSLP#1:
Here is my take on it...

Wow, what a great post! I absolutely agree with everything Mike said.

One other thing: people engaging in flaming, insulting other members and other rude and anti-social behavior like to rail about “Freedom of Speech” when called on their actions. Freedom of speech does not equal freedom to have an audience, especially in a privately owned forum. If a particular person’s action in a message board is deemed detrimental to our organization (by discouraging new members from joining), the organization (and by extension, the board) has both the right and the responsibility to protect itself by censuring the offending person. This censure could range from a polite but firm “Knock It Off” email all the way to a permanent ban from posting to the message boards. No one has the right to post on these forums. Posting here is a privilege granted by the WGA and its board. I don’t think that being polite is too much to ask.

EnergySaver
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:22 am Reply with quote Back to top

Excellent comments by "NSLP#1" and "Team Deejay"!

It's just a fact that some people get kicks out of "stirring the pot to see if it will boil over". The best thing you can do is avoid boiling over and let them stir until their arm gets sore.

Please don't avoid coming to events, because of these situations. Personally, I don't worry about such people at the events. In fact I've had nice conversations with them, that seem to have no correlation to past WGA postings. I actually like talking to these people in person, they're a lot of fun! ... even though I don't agree with their style on the message board. Life is too short and there are too many caches to be found, to worry about how big of a spoon is in the pot.

Boy that was weird ... ok, I'm crawling back into my cyber-hole.

Bushwhacking Queen
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:18 pm Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by Team Deejay:

One other thing: people engaging in flaming, insulting other members and other rude and anti-social behavior like to rail about “Freedom of Speech” when called on their actions. Freedom of speech does not equal freedom to have an audience, especially in a privately owned forum. If a particular person’s action in a message board is deemed detrimental to our organization (by discouraging new members from joining), the organization (and by extension, the board) has both the right and the responsibility to protect itself by censuring the offending person. This censure could range from a polite but firm “Knock It Off” email all the way to a permanent ban from posting to the message boards. No one has the right to post on these forums. Posting here is a privilege granted by the WGA and its board. I don’t think that being polite is too much to ask.

Excellent post!

tonic_sol
WGA Friend

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:57 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hi, I am new to geocaching. I have been reading your forums for sometime. I think that the previous poster is right, this goes on in almost every forum.

What I see here is a pattern. If certain people dislike you, then you get flamed. If you are someone they like you get stroked.

It certainly has kept me from joining. Only reason I'm saying anything now is to let you know it does have an effect.

[This message has been edited by tonic_sol (edited 03-10-2006).]

Cache_boppin_BunnyFuFu
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:58 pm Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by tonic_sol:

What I see here is a pattern. If certain people dislike you, then you get flamed. If you are someone they like you get stroked.

It certainly has kept me from joining. Only reason I'm saying anything now is to let you know it does have an effect.

First of all... let me say "WELCOME" to the forum and thanks for jumping into the discussion!!

Great input also!! I don't think it is a matter of liking or disliking the PERSON, but rather HOW they come across in forum. I don't agree 100% with things my caching partner comes up with but I don't dislike `em!! I almost feel a sense of frustration more than anything.

If I may not actually KNOW a person(s) who is/are the type to constantly jump all over others comments, it certainly doesn't mean I wouldn't like to take the time to actually MEET the person(s) and discuss stuff face to face. A lot of misunderstandings can get cleared up that way.

The problem?? Many people are not like me and can get scared away from forums with a so called "Rough Crowd" Not that I THINK we all are a rough crowd!! LOL Not by any means!!

WGA members and non-members of whom I have actually MET.... they are a pretty cool group of cachers and people in general!!

And Team DeeJay, Green Bay Paddlers, EnergySaver & NSLP#1 "RIGHT ON!!" Image Image

[This message has been edited by Cache_boppin_BunnyFuFu (edited 03-10-2006).]

sparky
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:43 am Reply with quote Back to top

I agree with tonic. That's why we usually stay out of forums too. We have noticed that to some people geocaching is a numbers game to see who has the most finds or caches placed. We do it to enjoy time with the family and to enjoy nature.

kckennelcrew
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:39 pm Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by sparky:
I agree with tonic. That's why we usually stay out of forums too. We have noticed that to some people geocaching is a numbers game to see who has the most finds or caches placed. We do it to enjoy time with the family and to enjoy nature.

I understand what you are saying, you sometimes visit a forum and make a post and then get hit with "friendly fire." You have to be prepared to get some unfavorable comments sometimes, otherwise you shouldn't be posting on a forum. I have visited and posted on several different forums and noticed that people can and will use them in good and bad ways. Some moderators create forums as a public whipping of board members and people they hate. They only allow posts that benefit thier views and remove those that don't. Some people love to use forums to attack and flame others, just human nature in some people. Moderators should remove personal attacks and warn those who post them that their actions will not be tolerated. What I would rather see is that if a person has a problem with someone, either privately email them or seek them out face to face and please keep it out of the public forums.

Also, geocaching is different to everyone, to some its numbers, to others its seeing nature or the outdoors. To us it is a mix of: numbers, getting that next cache off the top of our list of caches closest to home or just taking the family outdoors. It just depends on our mood.

NSLP#1
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:20 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I must also agree with the others regarding meeting individuals at events.

In the past, many individuals that I knew from forums that were... hmm... obnoxious I guess is a family friendly term that can be used here Image were very pleasant in person. Not that they changed any behaviour back online after meeting though.

Some people use forums and such as an escape, others have their alter-ego that gets let loose online. And others are themselves online, no real difference from how they are in person.

There are sometimes even those who are much nicer online than they are in person.

I agree it would be better if everyone could be nice and polite in the community forums so as to not 'scare' away potential members. But I think as long as we don't abandon the forums to less desirable postings, then potential members may see through the smoke and know that those bad posts don't reflect the general membership.

Trudy and the beast
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:25 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Sometimes I think my hands have a mind of their own. They certainly have mor difficulty wit spelling than my brain dos. May-B that's what our Schitzpreenic friends are experiencing. ~tb

Cache_boppin_BunnyFuFu
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:35 pm Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by Trudy & the beast:
Sometimes I think my hands have a mind of their own. They certainly have mor difficulty wit spelling than my brain dos. May-B that's what our Schitzpreenic friends are experiencing. ~tb

Beast...you crack me up!! ROFLMBO and I'll go along with your theory!! Image

Roses are Red, Violets are Blue,
I'm schizophrenic and so am "I"

[This message has been edited by Cache_boppin_BunnyFuFu (edited 03-21-2006).]

WIsearcher
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:38 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I am another occasional WGA visitor. I check in maybe once a month to see the cache of the month and browse through the forums and read a few dozen posts. Why would someone register here? Geocaching.com while wonderful, can get a little overwhelming and anonymous at times. For instance, if you post a specific container question there, you might get replies from people in desert areas then they all start bickering amongst themselves. Here, there are people that have the same climate concerns and sometimes I recognize something I’ve done or somewhere I’ve been in someone else’s post and that makes the experience more personal than at geocaching.com. That’s why I come here…

LightningBugs Mum
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:53 am Reply with quote Back to top

Hi WIsearcher!
Since we cache in the same part of the state, your caching adventures have showed up on my radar. I hope we can meet up sometime! Image

Thanks for mentioning some of the positive things people get out of a regional forum like this. It is definitely more personal! There are people here who I've not actually met yet, but I feel I know them because I've done one of their caches, or they've done one of mine, or I've seen their name in the logbooks, etc. So for me, this forum really provides an increased sense of community.

------------------
Team LightningBugs

View next topic
View previous topic