49.png BOD Info Center

17.png Forums
16.png New Posts
20.png Unanswered Posts

calendar_day.png Upcoming Events
mapicon.png Map
29.png Calendar
11.png Submit Event

mapicon.png WGA State Park CachesNew content !

shield_star.png Cache of the Month
mapicon.png Past Winners Map

LonelyCache.png Lonely Cache Game
mapicon.png Current Map
26.png Scoreboard
11.png Submit Report

rescueiconsm.png Cache Rescue
11.png Submit a Mission

icon_community.gif Members
27.png Your Account
47.png Private Messages
contact_blue.png WGA Member Map
Geocaching_LIVE_poweredby_16.png GC.COM Authorization

icon_members.gif News
tree-T.gif Topics
tree-T.gif Archives
tree-L.gif Submit News

image_cultured.png Photo Gallery
tree-T.gif Updates
tree-L.gif Popular

shield.png Fun Stuff
28.png Recent Logs
TB.gif Picnic to Picnic TB Race Standings
TB.gif WGA Hauler

49.png Board of Directors

Contact Us

Facebook

Wisconsin Geocaching Association

Follow Us

Twitter Button

Subscribe to Newsletter

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

Geocaching.com Search
View Search Syntax

COTM
Winner -
August 2014 Northern Zone:
WSQ Gordon Cemetery

Winner -
August 2014 Northeast Zone:
Trout Haven

Winner -
August 2014 West Central Zone:
WISCONSIN DELORME CHALLENGE

Winner -
August 2014 South Central Zone:
Capitol Punishment

Winner -
August 2014 Southeast Zone:
Wisconsin Homestead - Emslie Farm

Winner -
August 2014 Series of the Month:
Classic Childrens Books

More Info >>>

Wisconsin Geocaching Association: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
russell_53040
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 2:01 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Had a couple of people post on my event page that people log this event so many times. This is what I sent out for an email “So tell me why this matters. The temp caches that people are logging on my event are all with in the guide lines. They all had log books! So please humor me why this bothers you so much!”. I guess we all have to play the same, watch the same programs, and eat the same things. Just don’t get it. Must not have any caches to go look for.

russell_53040
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 2:20 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Here is a responce I got from one of them.

It's not within the guide lines....Have they all been approved? no
Are they at least .1 mile from each other? no.
It's called cheating or padding your numbers....

And why does it mater to me?
Because my number are legitimate numbers...but when cachers cheat it affects the rankings...and ruins the sport for everyone (except the cheaters).

Lostby7
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 3:14 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Considering that it appears that neither of them even attended the event, who cares. All they are doing is trolling from afar. Don’t offer them bait. Like most games there are regional variations of the "Rules."

russell_53040
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 3:17 pm Reply with quote Back to top

He did a post on the groundspeak boards and had put my email address in with the post. I did inform him about it and he did take it out but not after I did get a few well we will say nice emails.

Pto
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 3:52 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I think this is the topic on gc.com your referring to? http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=131878
If so, dont let Criminal give you grief- He's obviously bored, and trolling the whole nations logs to find fault in others-\
Oh, and thats Crimal: http://www.geocaching.com/email/?guid=e3709034-bff0-4449-b247-8c6a851f8997
If its wasnt him, my apolgize- Ive been reading that thread thruout the day, and its been getting lots of traffic.

I agree- Ignore him- Who Cares what He thinks?
Besides, he is NoWhere near WI, so . . .

marc_54140
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 4:02 pm Reply with quote Back to top

It's amazing, but geocaching seems to attract a larger number of disguntled individuals than other 'sports' I know of.

Now, as far as humoring you, Russell.....well!

greyhounder
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 4:02 pm Reply with quote Back to top

People are always scrutinizing WI events & trying to "get us" for having temporaries. Don't even pay them any mind. They are the people that are into geocaching for the numbers. They also seem to have the idea that the person with the highest find count "wins", and therefore finding temporary caches is "cheating".

Continue to have your events and do whatever YOU want to do at them. Rest assured that your peers (here in WI) support your decision.

Bec

------------------
There are no shortcuts to any place worth going

TS
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 4:39 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I had an experience where a cacher from a distant state sent me a nasty e-mail about a cache log that I had written. I had inadvertently used a incorrect homonym! I don't remember exactly what, but it was a "their, there, they're" or a "to, two, too" type of error. He went on to admonish me at length about the need to properly proofread my logs.

I checked his profile and, not only was he hundreds of miles away, we didn't even have any cache finds or travel bug finds in common. His occupation was listed as, "between jobs." Perhaps an English teacher?

No, I did not reply with an apology for my grievous error and, no, I did not give him satisfaction by correcting my error in the log. I just ignored it.

TS

One Paddle Short
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 8:22 pm Reply with quote Back to top

People are always scrutinizing WI events & trying to "get us" for having temporaries. Don't even pay them any mind. They are the people that are into geocaching for the numbers. They also seem to have the idea that the person with the highest find count "wins", and therefore finding temporary caches is "cheating".

I realize this is probably the wrong thing to say, and I have no idea of how to say it without being the “bad Wisconsin geocacher”- but, if it's not about the numbers: well, why would you log attendance at an event soooo many times in order to represent some temporary finds? Why bother, why take the time? Obviously, it is about the numbers to anyone who would sit at their computer and type in log after log for the same event. If, as it seems, the folks who are complaining about this practice enjoy seeing their numbers rise/fall in comparison to others; and, if they feel that “geocaching” is what the geocaching site represents it to be- then I don’t see this practice as being a part of the “game” either. Logging an event multiple times to represent temporary caches is sidestepping the intent of the event category. For those complaining it takes away from the enjoyment of the activity because it makes their numbers meaningless in comparison to others’ numbers. And, apparently, they value that comparison as much as those spending time logging temporary finds.

I think as long as you laud teams/ individuals for their numbers of finds, and talk about who has the “most” finds of this and that, and who is in the top whatever in the state or country- then you have to be ready to accept the criticism of those trying to attain the same goals by different rules in the same game.

[This message has been edited by One Paddle Short (edited 05-09-2006).]

greyhounder
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 8:40 pm Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by One Paddle Short:
I realize this is probably the wrong thing to say, and I have no idea of how to say it without being the “bad Wisconsin geocacher”- but, if it's not about the numbers: well, why would you log attendance at an event soooo many times in order to represent some temporary finds? Why bother, why take the time? Obviously, it is about the numbers to anyone who would sit at their computer and type in log after log for the same event. If, as it seems, the folks who are complaining about this practice enjoy seeing their numbers rise/fall in comparison to others; and, if they feel that “geocaching” is what the geocaching site represents it to be- then I don’t see this practice as being a part of the “game” either. Logging an event multiple times to represent temporary caches is sidestepping the intent of the event category. For those complaining it takes away from the enjoyment of the activity because it makes their numbers meaningless in comparison to others’ numbers. And, apparently, they value that comparison as much as those spending time logging temporary finds.

I think as long as you laud teams/ individuals for their numbers of finds, and talk about who has the “most” finds of this and that, and who is in the top whatever in the state or country- then you have to be ready to accept the criticism of those trying to attain the same goals by different rules in the same game.
[This message has been edited by One Paddle Short (edited 05-09-2006).]

Nope -- don't see you as a bad WI geocacher at all. I may or may not agree with you. Find counts are really meaningless to me other than on my own personal level. I could care less if someone finds on individual cache 100 times over. It's their game to play. The rules are simple: follow coordinates, find a geocache, log it. Anything beyond that is your personal choice.

You don't see any complaints about people who find geocaches, log in the container, but never log online do you? They have the same impact as people finding temporaries.

Go ahead and express your opinion -- I like that. Just don't tell me that what I choose to do or not do is WRONG.

Bec

------------------
There are no shortcuts to any place worth going

MajorBrat
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 11:55 pm Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by One Paddle Short:
[BI realize this is probably the wrong thing to say, and I have no idea of how to say it without being the “bad Wisconsin geocacher”- but, if it's not about the numbers: well, why would you log attendance at an event soooo many times in order to represent some temporary finds?[/B]

I don't see you as a "bad Wisconsin geocacher" either. I see you as a misinformed Wisconsin geocacher. Unfortunately you seem to have gotten your ideas from the same threads that are "scrutinizing" what happens at and after many Wisconsin Geocaching Events. Sadly you are not speaking from experience, because you don't seem to have logged an event. If you have in fact I apologize, but I didn't see one on your caches found page so I assume you haven't been.

Please, by all means, attend an event and see what goes on. Most caches are found with GPSR's, and most people log them. Not everyone does. Some log for the numbers, some for the hunt, some for the journey...whatever the case is, each person has their own reasons and methods of logging (or not logging).

If you are in the "not" category...no one judges you for that. If you are in the "attended" category...you're often mis-judged (and usually by someone who hasn't been there to walk the hides.

We can talk for hours on this subject, and in fact have...many times. It will always be a topic of discussion, but until you've gone to an event, and found some of these hides, stop judging those who log them.

Commander Bob and I are "loggers" of the ones we seek with our GPSR's...pocket caches on the other hand...we don't like those! But that's us...we don't tell others not to log them. We just tell others not to bring them to our events!

MajorBrat

Trudy and the beast
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 4:28 am Reply with quote Back to top

MB, That was very well put. I am getting rather tired of the criticism we get from outsiders. We have been listening (or more appropriately ignoring) to it for over 4 years now. One might wonder if there aren't more important things to whine about.

We often overlook the fact that there is really no governing body here, no law, no rules... only GUIDELINES. So keep your score anyway that is meaningful to you. There is no way one can cheat. It is like "coloring outside the lines" So What?

Do it your way and enjoy the fun.

[This message has been edited by Trudy & the beast (edited 05-10-2006).]

TS
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 6:26 am Reply with quote Back to top

I see the geocaching numbers as like keeping score when playing golf alone. You constantly try to improve your game but it really doesn't have much meaning to anyone but yourself. Unlike golf though, geocaching doesn't really have a practical limit as to how much you can improve your score. Whereas in golf, people will become skeptical when you tell them you've whittled your score down to 17 strokes for 18 holes, and begin to question your honesty...

TS

LDove
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 7:51 am Reply with quote Back to top

I was at Russell's event, all the temporary caches were fun to find, well planned and he put a ton of work into it. For those of us looking for them, some were easy and some more difficult, but still in my opinion a legitimate find. They were not any different than other finds I have gotten on my own so what is the difference? This was a great chance to socialize, meet other geocachers and pick up tips on great ways to hide stuff (Russell is good at that). If I am in it to get my numbers up (maybe I am and maybe I am not) or if I choose to only do "quality" caches (as some people put it), that is MY choice! I am not hurting anybody am I? Who cares if I get to 1000 caches in 10 years or 2? I think we are all doing it for the fun and for me it is to get my can off the couch and meet new people. Russell, don't let this get to you, you did a fine job and we all had a blast. I look forward to an event in the fall and plan on logging each and every find. Thank you again.

------------------
"ARGH - I know it's here somewhere..."

cacheseekers
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 7:58 am Reply with quote Back to top

I always find criticism of logging temp caches amusing. Trying to think back, I don't think we've logged any so I can't really be one to judge. But I personally don't see anything wrong with it. It is a personal 'score'. When we first started geocaching we (probably more I) used the finds as a goal. "By January 1st I want to have found X amount of caches." We use it more so as motivation to do more when we're out and about rather than being slaves to the TV.

Hmm, I think the TV has been winning lately. Must do something about that this summer! Image

-Nick

------------------
of The Cacheseekers

http://www.cacheseekers.com

View next topic
View previous topic