49.png BOD Info Center

17.png Forums
16.png New Posts
20.png Unanswered Posts

calendar_day.png Upcoming Events
mapicon.png Map
29.png Calendar
11.png Submit Event

mapicon.png WGA State Park CachesNew content !

shield_star.png Cache of the Month
mapicon.png Past Winners Map

LonelyCache.png Lonely Cache Game
mapicon.png Current Map
26.png Scoreboard
11.png Submit Report

rescueiconsm.png Cache Rescue
11.png Submit a Mission

icon_community.gif Members
27.png Your Account
47.png Private Messages
contact_blue.png WGA Member Map
Geocaching_LIVE_poweredby_16.png GC.COM Authorization

icon_members.gif News
tree-T.gif Topics
tree-T.gif Archives
tree-L.gif Submit News

image_cultured.png Photo Gallery
tree-T.gif Updates
tree-L.gif Popular

shield.png Fun Stuff
28.png Recent Logs
TB.gif Picnic to Picnic TB Race Standings
TB.gif WGA Hauler

49.png Board of Directors

Contact Us

Facebook

Wisconsin Geocaching Association

Follow Us

Twitter Button

Subscribe to Newsletter

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

Geocaching.com Search
View Search Syntax

COTM
Winner -
July 2014 Northern Zone:
Call Box

Winner -
July 2014 Northeast Zone:
Twisted Metal

Winner -
July 2014 West Central Zone:
The Island

Winner -
July 2014 South Central Zone:
Puzzle of Books

Winner -
July 2014 Southeast Zone:
Make do with what you have

Winner -
July 2014 Series of the Month:
Door County Barn Quilt Series

More Info >>>

Wisconsin Geocaching Association: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Team Honeybunnies
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 8:20 am Reply with quote Back to top

It's that season again already Image? There were huge threads like this last year when event season began in earnest, and I have no doubt the topic will resurface next year at the same time.

GC.com has chosen not to take a hard stance on this subject, and thus we are left to make our choices on either side of the fence, and that decision is right or wrong only for us personally. We fell on the side of the fence to not log, which I find interesting on a personal level because my numbers ARE important to me. That's a whole other subject. I could write reams of supposition on what makes me tick. Boooring!

I will say that we have only attended one event with temps since making the firm choice and we found it liberating to be able to sit and visit while others followed their muses and hunted caches. I did feel a bit of guilt that we didn't hunt any of the temps and only focused on the permanent caches in the park. A lot of work goes into those temps and at LEAST 90% are logworthy if they were listed. Maybe more. Even with my decision, I think that temps should be loggable if you choose to.

Think of it in the terms of Catholics and Protestants. Here we all get along fine and coexist peacefully, even with our differences, yet elsewhere they're at each others' throats. Not to say that there aren't zealots here who secretly know the other side are all going to hell Image.

Cache as you please. Do it the way you enjoy. If every server at GC melted down tomorrow and all the backups were eaten by the dog, what would those numbers mean anyway? It's just a record of all the fun you've had. Although I'm secretly hoping for a trophy someday Image.

EnergySaver
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 8:33 am Reply with quote Back to top

I log all my temp finds at events ... yet I we don't have a large number of finds, we're in it for the fun of our family ... at the moment, since I don't have GC.com open, I don't even know what are number is.

So why do I log all the temp finds since I literally don't even know our count nor do I have plans of have numbers that are high or competitive in nature (we're an exceptionally non-competitive family for the most part) ...... the answer is, I don't really know, something in me tells me that I should log the caches I find, if there is an event and there are 39 caches and we find 12 of them, it seems I should represent the fact that I found 12 caches (maybe if I don't someone will wrongly assume I found them ALL, oh no); plus I like to comments on the individual caches when I have something fun to say on them (for the benefit of the person that put in the effort of placing it).

MajorBrat
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 8:53 am Reply with quote Back to top

Hey Russell...no worries! The WGA camp out is this weekend. Once people start logging that, those watching what you're doing will forget all about you and start jumping on attendees of the camp out. Image

Decrepit
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 9:52 am Reply with quote Back to top

Russell - I only have one bit of advice for all the e-mails you are getting... Delete.

Don't let them bother you. If others are concerned as to how people are logging caches, they are spending too much time on the computer and not enough time on the trails themselves.

I had fun at the event and so did the other people that attended. That's all that matters. So......... when is the next one?

GrouseTales
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 11:27 am Reply with quote Back to top

I personally stopped logging the temp finds last year. I have no problem if other people want to log them, I've just decided not to.

Our events are open to everyone. If someone is worried about "padding our numbers", they can come to our event and catch up by finding a bunch of caches.

I got a bunch of angry emails as the account holder for the WGA username. I agree that it's not worth even responding to.

Like I said before, show me the prize, award, or money you get for finding the most caches. There is none! To me, numbers a only an indication on how much time someone has on their hand. Anyone can find a cache!

Log your temps, or don't log them. It doenst matter to me Image

cacheseekers
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 11:52 am Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
... To me, numbers a only an indication on how much time someone has on their hand. Anyone can find a cache!

Log your temps, or don't log them. It doenst matter to me Image[/B]

I couldn't agree more. Sometimes it takes us a few months to just log in and log a couple of finds we have. Hmm makes me wonder if we have some that still need to be logged from this past fall...

Sean Connery
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 12:09 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hey Russell, I've been reading the same Gc.com thread started by Criminal and here is my take on it.

First off, he seemed to be concerned about people logging temp caches on archived cahes that are no longer active. This is certainly NOT the way I log my temp finds at events. But apparently this practice bothers many people and I can understand why.

I was always taught to log my temp caches by hitting the "attended" button for each one. This method does NOT inflate your true find count. If you check my profile you will see it says I have 496 finds. But if you click on it and go further to the page that breaks down the finds by several catergories, you will see that over 100 of those are event caches. A certain number are multi-cache finds, traditional finds, virtual finds,etc, Also, when I log my temp caches under attended, I do NOT recieve a "coveted smiley" but an icon of a couple holding hands which I think is much more roamantic anyway or at least the Bond Girl does.

So to recap, anyone who wishes to compete agasinst me and compare find counts can easily do so. But as has already been pointed out by others, There really are no rules, just guidelines. In that GC.com thread were several errors in logic that several posters espoused, too many for mine one finger typing skill to cover here. Suffice it to say that it seems to me that there are way to many folks willing to criticize others by geocaching with a keyboard than by going out with a GPSr and really showing the rest of us how good they are.

russell_53040
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 12:50 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks to all that replied. It was not Criminal’s thread but another one. The guy that posted my email address was nice enough to delete it and apologized for doing so. His emails were pretty nice and calm. One thing he did say that “Oh and its not just my opinion if you look in the GC forums you will
find it is the opinion of 99.9% of all cachers.” Not sure how he got these numbers.
I do agree with Brian though show me prizes. I also wanted to say that Major Brat’s response was on target also. To me I get out to have fun and if that means logging temps at events so be it. I guess if Jeremy was worried about it he would have done something about it. If they are that worried about it they need to contact him. Well thanks again for the advice.

abcdmCachers
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 1:46 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was looking at a recent event page and it looks like you can now log a found it as well as an attended. Not sure when the change was made - used to be you would have to log multiple attended logs for the temporaries.

Doug

Bushwhacking Queen
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 2:27 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Russell, I emailed both of the people that logged on your event page. So far one replied with the a "Thank you."

In a nutshell I told them that different states handle events differently. WI loggs them as attended, while some states have you log on a nearby regular cache multiple finds.
B.Q.

Green Bay Paddlers
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 3:39 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Just put my thoughts on there on that thread. Too funny... I like watching some of these folks get themselves into a lather over something so moronic! Image LOL

LightningBugs Mum
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 3:52 pm Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by abcdmCachers:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was looking at a recent event page and it looks like you can now log a found it as well as an attended. Not sure when the change was made - used to be you would have to log multiple attended logs for the temporaries.

Doug

I believe this "glitch" remains only on the CITO events. It's nice to have that option, but it doesn't make any difference as far as the icon or the find count.

quote:
“Oh and its not just my opinion if you look in the GC forums you will
find it is the opinion of 99.9% of all cachers.”

He makes the error of assuming that the opinions of those who post on the GC.com forums are an accurate representation of the geocaching community as a whole. Trust me, they aren't.

------------------
Team LightningBugs

Buy_The_Tie
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 4:10 pm Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by russell_53040:
... I guess if Jeremy was worried about it he would have done something about it....

Because the folks at Geocaching.com don't really care, the WGA came out with a policy on temp caches at WGA sponsored events:

quote:
Last year we asked for your opinion on logging temporary caches at WGA events. Most of you who voiced an opinion said you would like to be able to log each temp cache. The board has listened and voted to adopt the following policy for WGA events where temp caches are placed:

# The WGA encourages each geocacher present for the official event photo (traditionally at 5pm) to log a "find" for the Event itself by logging "has attended" on the event webpage.

# The WGA shall neither require nor forbid anyone from logging temporary caches at any of our official events.

# The WGA will allow geocachers to log a "find" for any cache that geocachers have actually found. Admittedly, we are not able to police those logging caches or verify that geocachers have actually found the caches. We are using the honor system here and will assume that our fine members will not abuse it

# All geocaches hidden at our events will follow the guidlines as set forth at www.geocaching.com for cache placement. However, exceptions will be made for the proximity and the obvious temporary nature of the event hides..

Quoted from this thread.

[This message has been edited by Buy_The_Tie (edited 05-10-2006).]

russell_53040
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 5:25 pm Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by Buy_The_Tie:
Quoted from this thread.

[This message has been edited by Buy_The_Tie (edited 05-10-2006).]

But if Jeremy would have no to the idea would our vote have counted to have allowed it?

Trudy and the beast
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 8:07 pm Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by russell_53040:
...he did say that “Oh and its not just my opinion if you look in the GC forums you will find it is the opinion of 99.9% of all cachers.” Not sure how he got these numbers...

Krug's Rule: "74.8% of all statisitcs are made up at the time of need"

View next topic
View previous topic