49.png BOD Info Center

17.png Forums
16.png New Posts
20.png Unanswered Posts

calendar_day.png Upcoming Events
mapicon.png Map
29.png Calendar
11.png Submit Event

mapicon.png WGA State Park CachesNew content !

shield_star.png Cache of the Month
mapicon.png Past Winners Map

LonelyCache.png Lonely Cache Game
mapicon.png Current Map
26.png Scoreboard
11.png Submit Report

rescueiconsm.png Cache Rescue
11.png Submit a Mission

icon_community.gif Members
27.png Your Account
47.png Private Messages
contact_blue.png WGA Member Map
Geocaching_LIVE_poweredby_16.png GC.COM Authorization

icon_members.gif News
tree-T.gif Topics
tree-T.gif Archives
tree-L.gif Submit News

image_cultured.png Photo Gallery
tree-T.gif Updates
tree-L.gif Popular

shield.png Fun Stuff
28.png Recent Logs
TB.gif Picnic to Picnic TB Race Standings
TB.gif WGA Hauler

49.png Board of Directors

Contact Us

Facebook

Wisconsin Geocaching Association

Follow Us

Twitter Button

Subscribe to Newsletter

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

Geocaching.com Search
View Search Syntax

COTM
Winner -
August 2014 Northern Zone:
WSQ Gordon Cemetery

Winner -
August 2014 Northeast Zone:
Trout Haven

Winner -
August 2014 West Central Zone:
WISCONSIN DELORME CHALLENGE

Winner -
August 2014 South Central Zone:
Capitol Punishment

Winner -
August 2014 Southeast Zone:
Wisconsin Homestead - Emslie Farm

Winner -
August 2014 Series of the Month:
Classic Childrens Books

More Info >>>

Wisconsin Geocaching Association: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Poll
What price you willing to pay?
$50
28%
 28%  [ 6 ]
$40
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
$30
47%
 47%  [ 10 ]
$20
23%
 23%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 21

Jeremy
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:59 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I like Marc's ideas about special WGA member only coins that have their own icon, can be worn on a necklace, etc. But I don't like the idea of charging an exorbitant amount for the coins and some how tying them in with a lifetime "premium" membership. My reasons against a lifetime premium membership:

- We have nothing special to offer our premium members other than the coins.
- I don't like the idea of a lifetime membership... does that mean people never give to the WGA again? Are we supposed to invest the money in some sort of annuity so it is available in perpetuity?
- We really don't need lots of money for any projects or equipment at the moment.

We will be introducing an online donation system on the WGA site soon (by the end of September for sure... trust me Rolling Eyes) that allows people to make voluntary donations to the WGA via PayPal or by sending in a check. This system is meant to supplement (or be a high tech replacement for) the ol' ammo can donation box we have at events, not raise huge sums of money.

The donation system will include a list of donors to recognize folks that have given to the WGA in the past 12 months (maybe this is an acceptable substitute for recognizing donors instead of giving them a "premium membership"?)... the donor list will also include people who donate "gifts in kind" (goods and services... water, charcoal, etc.) to future WGA events.

In the past, the Board has discussed coming up with 1, 3, and 5 year preliminary budgets... these would outline the expenses that were anticipated in the short, medium, and long term and the funds that would have to be raised to cover the expenses. Some of the things in the long range budget could be "dreams" like purchasing loaner GPS units for training classes. These budgets would hopefully be revised by the Board annually. Sounds like coming up with these budgets would be a good project for the Board to pursue in the next couple months...

CB&MB
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:25 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Jeremy wrote:
- We really don't need lots of money for any projects or equipment at the moment.

That's because the BOD hasn't taken any of the suggestins made by the WGA body into consideration. At least not publically. There are many ideas flying around the forums about where to spend money. The BOD just hasn't implemented any of them. But then THEY are the ones who decide what to do, aren't they?

Jeremy wrote:

We will be introducing an online donation system on the WGA site soon (by the end of September for sure... trust me Rolling Eyes) that allows people to make voluntary donations to the WGA via PayPal or by sending in a check. This system is meant to supplement (or be a high tech replacement for) the ol' ammo can donation box we have at events, not raise huge sums of money.

We do think it's a good idea to have this system online, but please don't stop taking the can to the events? Scenario: Someone goes to a WGA event but isn't a WGA member, has a great time and wants to give a little cash to the association. The ammo box is missing from the table. Where are they going to drop their doantion? I seriously doubt that they will go home, get online, join the WGA and make a PayPal donation to the association.

Jeremy wrote:

The donation system will include a list of donors to recognize folks that have given to the WGA in the past 12 months (maybe this is an acceptable substitute for recognizing donors instead of giving them a "premium membership"?)... the donor list will also include people who donate "gifts in kind" (goods and services... water, charcoal, etc.) to future WGA events.

I have HUGE issue with this!!! No one needs to know who is donating money. They only need to know that it's being done! The ones dropping the cash, and/or sending the funds via electronic methods will know who they are! Those donating time, goods and /or services at events will know who they are. They shouldn't need to be "stroked" individually in public. If the BOD wishes to thank them one by one instead of as has been done in the past ("Thanks to all who have helped with hide placement, set-up, tear-down," etc.), it should send e-mails to those who have helped. In the past this has always been enough. Is the BOD going to cough up some cash to buy little envelopes to sit beside the ammo box so that each person dropping something in can write their name on it? Or should someone donate those too and get their name on the list of donors?

Jeremy
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:27 am Reply with quote Back to top

CB&MB wrote:
Jeremy wrote:

We do think it's a good idea to have this system online, but please don't stop taking the can to the events? Scenario: Someone goes to a WGA event but isn't a WGA member, has a great time and wants to give a little cash to the association. The ammo box is missing from the table. Where are they going to drop their doantion? I seriously doubt that they will go home, get online, join the WGA and make a PayPal donation to the association.

This was a bad choice of words on my part MB. The online system certainly won't replace the ammo can donation box... we should always have a way for people to make anonymous cash donations at events. Thanks to the generosity of our members we have always collected enough money via the ammo can at our events to at least cover expenses.

CB&MB wrote:
Jeremy wrote:

I have HUGE issue with this!!! No one needs to know who is donating money. They only need to know that it's being done! The ones dropping the cash, and/or sending the funds via electronic methods will know who they are! Those donating time, goods and /or services at events will know who they are. They shouldn't need to be "stroked" individually in public. If the BOD wishes to thank them one by one instead of as has been done in the past ("Thanks to all who have helped with hide placement, set-up, tear-down," etc.), it should send e-mails to those who have helped. In the past this has always been enough. Is the BOD going to cough up some cash to buy little envelopes to sit beside the ammo box so that each person dropping something in can write their name on it? Or should someone donate those too and get their name on the list of donors?

Not sure what to say about this one. I knew including a list of donors was possibly going to be a contentious issue with the Board (and the membership). There were a couple proposals floated, including having a list with donation levels (listing people by how much they give) and having no donor list at all.

In the end, it was decided that a simple list would give well deserved recognition without turning the donation system into some sort of competition or unnecessarily forcing people to make a donation when they really did not want to. But if others have opinions on the donor list, don't hesitate to speak up... nothing is set in stone yet.

With the online system there will be a way for people to mark their donation as anonymous, so they are not put into the donor list. But if they want to be publicly listed (or "stroked"), there is that option too.

My personal opinion is that most people want to be recognized for their contributions. I see the individual members as "sponsors" of our events and other activities. If a business were to provide money or goods to the WGA, they would almost certainly demand public recognition, an ad or link on our site, etc... so why not give the same to our individual donors if they so desire?

CB&MB
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:32 am Reply with quote Back to top

Sadly, I think that you're right in the thought that our membership body likes to be recognized and/or stroked. There are so many of us who have donated so much time, energy, supplies, money in the past and have just been happy in the knowledge that we did it. It just seems silly to me that everyone can't be like that. No matter the intention in starting the listing, to me, it's a lot like you're going to be adding a "donor" stats page to all the rest of the stats already listed here. It's bad enough that everyone has to look at who's running around grabbing caches all the time, now we have to look at who's making donations too.

Over and over again in this sport we've heard one thing, and in May we saw it on a coin...we already believed it to be true, but have recently taken it on as our Team Motto: "The only numbers that matter are the number of friends you make!" The rest just doesn't count!

I still think a simple "Thanks to all who have donated" is enough!
MB

Coastiegirl04
WGA Friend

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:31 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Why not when someone makes a donation, Have the option of wanting them to be known or not.. that they made the donation..

check out my blog!
http://coastiegirl-lindsey.blogspot.com/ 
EnergySaver
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:37 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Code:
Humor = On

The answer ... for those donating $50 or more, your "Account" page gets an option that allows you to hide the list of donations, so that you don't accidentially view it.

Code:
Humor = Off

My one "vote" would be cast for not showing a list of donors. To me the value of listing donors to orgnizations, is to provide promotion/advertisement to BUSINESSES supporting an organization ... what benefit does an INDIVIDUAL gain except a bit of excessive pride.

John 8:12 
GrouseTales
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:35 am Reply with quote Back to top

I personally don't care to have a "premium membership" for our organization. I don't think the WGA can offer anything to make it worth the money.

I'd prefer that all members are equal, and those who want to have coins can help organize mintings. We made a nice profit off last year's coin minting and I would like that to continue. Those who love coins can help support the WGA buy purchasing them. Those who don't understand coins can support the WGA by dropping a donation in ammo can, or on-line donation system.

I think all our members are already "premium members" Very Happy

Brian
Grousetales at wi<dash>geocaching{dot}com 
Cache_boppin_BunnyFuFu
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:58 am Reply with quote Back to top

I can see and sympathize with both sides of the fence. I understand MB's concerns whole heartedly.

Then again, I know there are many people who are proud of the fact that they can help out and wouldn't mind being recognized.

Organizations of all sizes and types "Recognize" donating members. It is, unfortunately, each persons prospective on how they see that recognition, and THAT we can't change. Some see it as bragging, some see it as an interest of who's doing what, some see it as a personal challenge to be able to do the same.

I, personally, see the "Recognitions" as an interest and a challenge, though my monetary funds probably couldn't keep up with some people.

Heck.. I donated an extra Magellan cable last year to the WGA (no big whoop!!)...all "I" care about in that is that it can maybe help some Newbie who was unable to download to their Magellan at home because maybe they don't have a home computer and do it from the library or work, or they have not learned yet. OR maybe I didn't have time to download to my own and I forgot my cord at home....LOL THAT has happened.

So... whatever choice the board has on the matter I can respect that.

WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:13 am Reply with quote Back to top

GrouseTales wrote:
I personally don't care to have a "premium membership" for our organization. I don't think the WGA can offer anything to make it worth the money.

I'd prefer that all members are equal, and those who want to have coins can help organize mintings. We made a nice profit off last year's coin minting and I would like that to continue. Those who love coins can help support the WGA buy purchasing them. Those who don't understand coins can support the WGA by dropping a donation in ammo can, or on-line donation system.

I think all our members are already "premium members" Very Happy

I agree that it's better to have all members be equal, and I have no problem donating or buying coin to show my support.
I would however support a premium member ship if it includes a driver or gas money for caching, lunch money, and batteries for my gpsr. Mr. Green

Mama Fishcacher
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:23 pm Reply with quote Back to top

CB&MB wrote:
in May we saw it on a coin...we already believed it to be true, but have recently taken it on as our Team Motto: "The only numbers that matter are the number of friends you make!" The rest just doesn't count!
MB

I really like that quote! Smile

~MF

Cache_boppin_BunnyFuFu
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:21 am Reply with quote Back to top

Mama Fishcacher wrote:
CB&MB wrote:
in May we saw it on a coin...we already believed it to be true, but have recently taken it on as our Team Motto: "The only numbers that matter are the number of friends you make!" The rest just doesn't count!
MB

~MF

Hey I missed that one.. I like that statement too! And... I have made some very nice, sincere friends in this sport.

WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:04 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Mama Fishcacher wrote:
CB&MB wrote:
MB

~MF

Feel free to steal it and use it as you see fit. We did! Laughing

~CB

WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:35 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The coin in question (FYI):

Paul
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 4:15 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I see no reason to have "Premium Memberships." If the bank account is getting low and there is an expense it would be proper to have some sort of fundraiser. We don't need to have a ton of money just sitting around.

View next topic
View previous topic