49.png BOD Info Center

17.png Forums
16.png New Posts
20.png Unanswered Posts

calendar_day.png Upcoming Events
mapicon.png Map
29.png Calendar
11.png Submit Event

mapicon.png WGA State Park CachesNew content !

shield_star.png Cache of the Month
mapicon.png Past Winners Map

LonelyCache.png Lonely Cache Game
mapicon.png Current Map
26.png Scoreboard
11.png Submit Report

rescueiconsm.png Cache Rescue
11.png Submit a Mission

icon_community.gif Members
27.png Your Account
47.png Private Messages
contact_blue.png WGA Member Map
Geocaching_LIVE_poweredby_16.png GC.COM Authorization

icon_members.gif News
tree-T.gif Topics
tree-T.gif Archives
tree-L.gif Submit News

image_cultured.png Photo Gallery
tree-T.gif Updates
tree-L.gif Popular

shield.png Fun Stuff
28.png Recent Logs
TB.gif Picnic to Picnic TB Race Standings
TB.gif WGA Hauler

49.png Board of Directors

Contact Us

Facebook

Wisconsin Geocaching Association

Follow Us

Twitter Button

Subscribe to Newsletter

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

Geocaching.com Search
View Search Syntax

COTM
Winner -
August 2014 Northern Zone:
WSQ Gordon Cemetery

Winner -
August 2014 Northeast Zone:
Trout Haven

Winner -
August 2014 West Central Zone:
WISCONSIN DELORME CHALLENGE

Winner -
August 2014 South Central Zone:
Capitol Punishment

Winner -
August 2014 Southeast Zone:
Wisconsin Homestead - Emslie Farm

Winner -
August 2014 Series of the Month:
Classic Childrens Books

More Info >>>

Wisconsin Geocaching Association: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Yawningdog
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2002 10:08 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Well, it had to happen sooner or later.
It looks like there may be an evil little munchkin in the Waukesha County area. I noticed that most of Socco's caches in Hales Corners have gone missing. So far, Socco has been hit the hardest but I suspect that it may just be coincidence. Jeremy's Vernon Marsh cache is also gone, along with one or two others. I hope this loser gets bored with his little game soon...

cacheseekers
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2002 10:39 pm Reply with quote Back to top

That's just discusting that people can do that. Lets just hope that taking is the extent of bad things done to geocaches... I'd hate to hear someone starting to do.. intentionally dangerous things to caches.

That reminds me when we first started this, our families were all "How do you know someone isn't out there waiting to kill you." etc.. It took me a long time to get them to understand the concept and semi-trust involved. I just hope stealing is the worst thing that happens. Image

Nick
The Cacheseekers

kbraband
WGA Historian

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 7:53 am Reply with quote Back to top

I agree it's a shame some caches have been taken. I doubt that any one cache-placer has been singled out. It's more likely that the theives happen to live in that same area.

Regarding criminals waiting in the bushes for unsuspecting geoachers to come along... nah, I tried that but no one came along for three days so I got bored and went home.

The Troops
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 9:40 am Reply with quote Back to top

On Friday late afternoon I hunted for Sockos Venerable Oak. I bet I turned over every stinking stone around there. Well, The next day I had a lighthouse meeting in Port Washington. At the meeting, Lee Lansinger asked me if I was into Geocaching. Small world, I met somebody else that has a passion for lighthouses & geocaching. We started talking, and I told him how I couldn't find the Venerable Oak. That's when he told me about the cache thief. If its not hard enough to find a cache, now you have to wonder if it's really there. If the person is a disgruntled geocacher that's taking the caches, please put away your GPSR and find another hobby. If you have a grudge against Socko, get over it! Put the caches back and lets the rest of us have fun. I suspect the thief is familar with this site and Geocaching.com so If your reading this. Please leave the caches in their place for the rest of us to find and enjoy.

Trudy and the beast
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 4:37 pm Reply with quote Back to top

To the thief:
This is a particularly disgusting event. The cowardly b******(s) responsible can't know the disappointment a failed hunt, or a lost investment in a loves' labor can bring. For the momentary satisfaction or laugh that this may have brought your sick ego, may you suffer a lifetime of regrets and guilt.

To the rest of our community:
Trudy & I share your sympathy to Socko et al. I think we are strong enough to rise above this. Cache on.

[This message has been edited by Trudy & the beast (edited 11-11-2002).]

kbraband
WGA Historian

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 8:26 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I don't mean to trivialize the thefts of caches. However, I would advise that we not get too upset about it. We've seen it happen every so often over the past nearly 2 years in Wisconsin, and it will continue to happen in the future. That risk of theft is inherent in the sport. The more upset we get, the more fun it is for the pranksters.

[This message has been edited by kbraband (edited 11-11-2002).]

Joe
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 6:49 am Reply with quote Back to top

kbraband has a good point, some people like going to war with others. Don't give them the satisfaction, just ignore them and they look for others to bother. Replace the cache and continue having fun like nothing has happened. I don't understand why anyone would steal a plastic container with cheap trinkets in it anyway, kind of a waste of time (fun to find though [ Image]).

------------------
I walk through natures beauty and wonder, then find out I'm going the wrong direction.

GrouseTales
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 8:32 am Reply with quote Back to top

B.O.L.O. (Be on the lookout)

If there really is a serial cache remover, it's time for geocachers to become more vigilant.

I'm amazed at how many times I have run into fellow cachers while cache hunting. Sometimes I only see their car parked in that special spot.

I have long been in the habit of writing down vehicle discriptions and license plates of cars parked nearby. I started this practice long before geocaching, mostly after my car got broken into. This doesn't have as much merit if you are in a parking lot with lots of cars around. In rural settings, it may come in handy.

If you see a car you suspect belongs to a Geocacher, write down the plate and vehicle description. Take a casual peek in the window as you are walking past it. Do you see any caches in the back seat? If you bump into a cacher, strike up a conversation and see who they are. If they are coming back to their car with a cache, you'll be glad you wrote down the plate, especially if the cache turns up missing.

If you have an solid leads, contact me with the info and I will be glad to investigate further.

[This message has been edited by GrouseTales (edited 11-12-2002).]

kite
WGA Friend

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2002 3:18 pm Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by Yawningdog:
Well, it had to happen sooner or later.
It looks like there may be an evil little munchkin in the Waukesha County area. I noticed that most of Socco's caches in Hales Corners have gone missing.

I'm originally from Wisconsin, but left before geocaching existed. On a recent trip back home, my caching partner and I did the Hales Corners group. It was a bit strange but a great deal of fun having six caches in one park! We'd find one, and the next would be 300' away, or we'd get the coordinates for the second leg of a multi and find another cache on the way to it. It was a really unique geocaching experience and we'll remember it for a long time. It's awful to hear that they've been stolen. Makes me feel somewhat less guilty for snagging two travel bugs in a single day, but man, those were nice caches.

View next topic
View previous topic