49.png BOD Info Center

17.png Forums
16.png New Posts
20.png Unanswered Posts

calendar_day.png Upcoming Events
mapicon.png Map
29.png Calendar
11.png Submit Event

mapicon.png WGA State Park CachesNew content !

shield_star.png Cache of the Month
mapicon.png Past Winners Map

LonelyCache.png Lonely Cache Game
mapicon.png Current Map
26.png Scoreboard
11.png Submit Report

rescueiconsm.png Cache Rescue
11.png Submit a Mission

icon_community.gif Members
27.png Your Account
47.png Private Messages
contact_blue.png WGA Member Map
Geocaching_LIVE_poweredby_16.png GC.COM Authorization

icon_members.gif News
tree-T.gif Topics
tree-T.gif Archives
tree-L.gif Submit News

image_cultured.png Photo Gallery
tree-T.gif Updates
tree-L.gif Popular

shield.png Fun Stuff
28.png Recent Logs
TB.gif Picnic to Picnic TB Race Standings
TB.gif WGA Hauler

49.png Board of Directors

Contact Us

Facebook

Wisconsin Geocaching Association

Follow Us

Twitter Button

Subscribe to Newsletter

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

Geocaching.com Search
View Search Syntax

COTM
Winner -
March 2014 Northern Zone:
Apostle Islands-Mawikwe Sea Caves

Winner -
March 2014 Northeast Zone:
Moscow, We Have A Problem

Winner -
March 2014 West Central Zone:
World Wide Quarters

Winner -
March 2014 South Central Zone:
WSQ Dunn

Winner -
March 2014 Southeast Zone:
Risen King

Winner -
March 2014 Series of the Month:
Woodpecker Series of Johnson Creek

More Info >>>

Wisconsin Geocaching Association: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
lagrac
WGA Friend

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:33 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I was wondering if the BOD could vote to change the requirements for one to be a Member of the WGA? As having just recently become the very first non-Wisconsin resident to finish the WI Delorme Challenge cache, I think I deserve some consideration at least. If sponsorship is necessary, I know at least 20 WGA Members (as well as 2 BOD's) that think my accomplishment warrants consideration.

Thanks! Very Happy

marc_54140
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:18 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I hope the BOD will approach this issue with an open mind.

Team Vaughan
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:48 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Never met the man but I believe he deserves it!

Cheesehead Dave
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:35 am Reply with quote Back to top

The current Board had a long discussion regarding WGA membership requirements at the spring meeting, and the current bylaws reflect the views of the Board:

Quote:
Article III: Membership
Membership in the WGA shall remain open to all interested persons who support the purposes detailed in Article II. An active member shall be defined as an individual at least sixteen (16) years of age who registers with the WGA annually and who is a resident of the state of Wisconsin as defined by Section 29.001 (69) of the Wisconsin State Statutes.

While anyone is able to join the WGA as a "WGA Friend," by limiting full membership to residents, it makes it easier to present to other organizations (e.g. the WDNR) who we are representing. Obviously, there are quite a few cachers from the border areas (I'm looking at you, Cinemaboxers Wink ) who do a lot of caching in Wisconsin, but how do you make the cutoff as to who is a "frequent cacher?"

Personally, I cache quite a bit in Illinois, and I'm a member of GONIL, although with the same status as a WGA Friend is here. I'm interested in what goes on, caching-wise, down south and will state my opinions in their forums when necessary, but as far as voting or being on their board, I'll leave that to the residents of NE Illinois.

WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:55 am Reply with quote Back to top

My 2 cents ... since it would seem one of the main "benefits" to full membership is voting ... I'd say "sorry but no" to membership ... since someone from out of state can certainly be a member of the organization in their home-state, one would assume they can vote on things in their home-state ... I don't think that it's logical for one person to be able to vote in two states for organizations of similar purpose.

If I really liked Florida and went on vacation there 20 or 30 times a year to tan my tummy on the beaches ... that still doesn't mean I get to vote for the Governor of Florida AND the Governor of Wisconsin. This is the same thing.

John 8:12 
SammyClaws
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:49 am Reply with quote Back to top

lagrac,

From what I understand the difference between your membership and the full membership is voting - why is it important for you to become a full member?

bandits
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:26 am Reply with quote Back to top

Hey Lagrac,

We would love for you to be a full fledged member of the WGA, but we also understand some of the concerns that have been voiced by other members.

Perhaps the best thing would be for you to become a resident of the great state of Wisconsin. We have a host of jobs, housing, friendly cachers and ammo cans in the woods! Not to mention . . . well, never-mind! wink There would be one catch, however, you would have to provide a minimum of one new ammo can in the woods per week for your first year of membership. Very Happy

WGA Friend

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:03 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'd like to clarify things here, I'm not proposing that the WGA allows every non-resident to become a WGA Member versus a WGA friend. I'm suggesting keeping the present prerequisites in place (age and residency) but add a third qualification. And make it something that would be virtually impossible for a person to attain. Indicate that a non-resident would be considered for WGA membership if and only if they completed the WI Delorme Challenge or find 1000 caches in Wisconsin (1500, 2000, etc).
Arguments against me becoming a WGA Member in the past have revolved around the fact that 'A person could come to Wisconsin from Mauritania and complete the Delorme Challenge on a weekend and then be granted voting rights.' Well.... that's true, but it seems as though these people have chose to remain anonymous to this point.
Furthermore, I'd like to see this matter be voted upon by the BOD as a whole. Last time I checked, there was more than one member comprising the BOD. I value everyone's opinion, but as my old man once told me, opinions are alot like colons. Everyone gets one, and a majority of them stink!

Thanks

p.s. I don't belong to the Minnesota Geocaching Association

Lostby7
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:53 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I congratulate you on your accomplishment, it's not one I think I will ever manage to equal. But even so you can no more become a voting WGA member than Arnold can become president...unless you move here ( guess that is one thing poor Arnold can't do). The bylaws were written and input was taken from the membership and the BOD. I see no reason to change them or why a vote would be needed.

EnergySaver
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:00 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Sorry ... while you've accomplished a lot and you are a valuable non-member ... there would just be too many exceptions for the next person to suggest ... or who would decide just how much of an accomplishment is enough to make it in. The organization is called "Wiscoinsin Geocaching Association" not "Wisconsin Geocaching or Really Active Geocacher Association".

Also, one could argue that since I've not done nearly as many caches and have not done most counties that maybe I should be excluded.

No offense ... I just think the last thing we need is more bylaws to pick through.

John 8:12 
Thraxman
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:29 pm Reply with quote Back to top

lagrac wrote:
I'm not proposing that the WGA allows every non-resident to become a WGA Member versus a WGA friend. I'm suggesting keeping the present prerequisites in place (age and residency) but add a third qualification. And make it something that would be virtually impossible for a person to attain. Indicate that a non-resident would be considered for WGA membership if and only if they completed the WI Delorme Challenge or find 1000 caches in Wisconsin (1500, 2000, etc).

Congrats on the Delorme Challenge! Impressive Smile

But I have to disagree with putting stringent requirements on out of state membership. The reason is quite simple: Anyone planning on caching enough in this state to want to join SHOULD be allowed to join. This is where that person can read about the current issues affecting Geocaching in the state. This is where he or she can ask questions and learn about general policy, and that is important for everyone, regardless of whether they find 10 caches within our borders or 1000. Membership for out of state cachers is therefore important, and should be encouraged.

Now, that said, I think it would be in perfectly good form to recognize out of state members who DO have significant accomplishments in this state. Lagrac's completion of the Delorme Challenge is a respectable point of interest, and you won't see it happen very often. But limiting membership is not in the line of goodness.

marc_54140
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:42 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I second Thraxman's comments.

Why not? We are not opening a floodgate! How many people, realistically, will want to qualify, and meet the requirement of have done the DeLorme challenge or found 1000 caches in the state?

LightningBugs Mum
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:42 am Reply with quote Back to top

Let's be clear here. A referendum is a vote where the people of the WGA (which can include "Friends" depending on how the vote is set up) give their opinion to the board, which may then act upon the results. Do you want a referendum to be held or are you asking the board to make a this change without the input of the membership as a whole?

lagrac
WGA Friend

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:09 am Reply with quote Back to top

I'd like this matter to be voted upon by the WGA as a whole. It seems as though some Members may be a little intimidated by an "outsider" venturing into this uncharted territory, but once this matter is brought before the entire WGA constituency, I think the BOD will see that it is necessary to reevaluate the guidelines for a WGA Member.

Thanks!

Jeremy
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:04 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'd be in favor of a referendum (non-binding), which would hopefully settle this issue once and for all. Maybe word it something like this:

"Do you approve of granting WGA membership to a limited number of individuals who are not residents of the state of Wisconsin? WGA membership would only be offered to individuals who meet some criteria that show they are firmly committed to geocaching in Wisconsin. The criteria used for non-resident members would be determined later by the Board of Directors, but may include completion of the Wisconsin DeLorme Challenge or finding 1000 caches in Wisconsin. Non-resident members would have full WGA membership rights, including the right to vote for and serve on the WGA Board of Directors."

Note that I believe only WGA members (per the current definition) should be allowed to vote on this referendum. It doesn't make sense to ask those who are currently not members if the definition of member should be expanded (of course they will say YES! Smile)... and if the Board approves such an extension of membership, it is the current WGA members whose "power" would be diluted.

View next topic
View previous topic