49.png BOD Info Center

17.png Forums
16.png New Posts
20.png Unanswered Posts

calendar_day.png Upcoming Events
mapicon.png Map
29.png Calendar
11.png Submit Event

mapicon.png WGA State Park CachesNew content !

shield_star.png Cache of the Month
mapicon.png Past Winners Map

LonelyCache.png Lonely Cache Game
mapicon.png Current Map
26.png Scoreboard
11.png Submit Report

rescueiconsm.png Cache Rescue
11.png Submit a Mission

icon_community.gif Members
27.png Your Account
47.png Private Messages
contact_blue.png WGA Member Map
Geocaching_LIVE_poweredby_16.png GC.COM Authorization

icon_members.gif News
tree-T.gif Topics
tree-T.gif Archives
tree-L.gif Submit News

image_cultured.png Photo Gallery
tree-T.gif Updates
tree-L.gif Popular

shield.png Fun Stuff
28.png Recent Logs
TB.gif Picnic to Picnic TB Race Standings
TB.gif WGA Hauler

49.png Board of Directors

Contact Us

Facebook

Wisconsin Geocaching Association

Follow Us

Twitter Button

Subscribe to Newsletter

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

Geocaching.com Search
View Search Syntax

COTM
Winner -
September 2014 Northern Zone:
Bunyan's Bowling Ball

Winner -
September 2014 Northeast Zone:
Gardner Swamp Thing

Winner -
September 2014 West Central Zone:
Upper Dells SNA

Winner -
September 2014 South Central Zone:
Old Meets New

Winner -
September 2014 Southeast Zone:

Winner -
September 2014 Series of the Month:
Meet the WGA series

More Info >>>

Wisconsin Geocaching Association: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Lostby7
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:30 pm Reply with quote Back to top

AuntieNae wrote:
Potential Earthcache sites along the Ice Age Trail
List #1
....Oconomowoc River....

Oh I so need to have that feature Twisted Evil

Team Hemisphere Dancer
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:44 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I would be interested in Putting one out in Northeast WI

WGA Treasurer
WGA Treasurer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:04 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, for the Cold Cache awards program, "hiding" an earthcache will also count as a "find"!

WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:58 am Reply with quote Back to top

Renee, We were planning to do one on the east bluff of Devil's Lake, at the Devils Doorway. Will that work?

I was also thinking about the Pothole Trail there. Is that the one she means on her list?

Lostby7
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:04 am Reply with quote Back to top

I emailed a request to do:
Lodi Marsh
Oconomowoc River
45 parallel - (there is already a EC on this subject so the area on the IAT would have to be very special to necessitate a second on the same subject)...

AuntieNae
WGA Treasurer
WGA Treasurer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:46 am Reply with quote Back to top

They key thing she is looking for is access to and from the Ice Age Trail.

It has been years since I was on the Devil's Lake Trails but if the Ice Age Trail follows the Devil's Doorway .. that would be a cool location!

The Atlas Map page for Devils lake is 42e .. the Pothole Trail has 111e .. Big Basalt Rock is 109e .. without the book, I am somewhat blind on where that is .. I will ask to have it narrowed down and get back to you.

Also, if you know of another neat EC feature along the Ice Age Trail it most definitely could be part of this project!

WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:43 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm already working on one at Moraine Park, just south of Verona, if that's what's meant by 'Verona Moraine' in your list. I'd be willing to help out in the Cross Plains area too.

Also planning another one near the Green/Dane County line, right on the Ice Age Trail. This small slice of land is unusual in that it was glaciated 50-60,000 years ago, but the last glacier stopped just short of it. It's not as glaciated as the rest of the state, but its not driftless either.

Is the project interested in something like this, or are they looking for a specific feature (lake, pothole, drumlin, etc) to highlight?

AuntieNae
WGA Treasurer
WGA Treasurer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:45 pm Reply with quote Back to top

From our trip to Kelling Lake, I am getting the feeling that if it is along the trail and a glacial feature, Dolly will be thrilled.

I know she is monitoring our thread here .. and very excited from her email to me .. so I should have some answers soon.
Renee

WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:20 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Dibs on the kettle in Lapham Peak! I was hoping to get out there this weekend to put that earthcache together - been thinking on it since January.

Isn't "Kettle Moraine Earthcache" (GCP3GB) at Bald Bluff?

I can do the Elephant Rock. I know right where it is!

Last edited by LightningBugs Mum on Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:47 pm; edited 1 time in total 
AuntieNae
WGA Treasurer
WGA Treasurer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:44 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks everyone!

WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:54 pm Reply with quote Back to top

As an FYI:
1. Trail heads and actual location of trails will be needed. I'm not familiar with all the locations of the IAT and would like to get detailed maps.

2. There are no doubt several worthwhile features not listed in this thread as well so some exploring may be in order.

3. I'm currently working on one EC and three more with other folks in tandem in various stages of completion from nearly complete to not yet started, so it will be at least a couple weeks until I can seriously begin writing up more (it normally takes me several days of research and writing to get the details down for each EC then the travel is additional time).

My suggestion for the program is for the roll-out to be at minimum 6 months out so that time is given to develop good ECs rather than just having them created for the sake of creation and therefore falling short in quality...which is the LAST thing we want to do. Quality, Quality, Quality.

AuntieNae
WGA Treasurer
WGA Treasurer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:16 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Thank you Lostby7 -

As soon as I have further details on the locations of the features Dolly listed, I will get that information posted. I only have reference pages to the old atlas. I have been told the new atlas has reversed the references.

Dolly is most definitely concerned about the quality of the earthcaches. And, we want to have that echo in the creation. She will be presenting this project to the Ice Age Park & Trail Foundation members at their conference next weekend. As they are broken up into various chapters, they should have a good grasp of features on their section.
AuntieNae

WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:55 am Reply with quote Back to top

Also are the EC coordinates to be ON the IAT or accessible from the IAT within a defined distance?

AuntieNae
WGA Treasurer
WGA Treasurer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:28 am Reply with quote Back to top

Good Morning Everyone, before I head to our P&R Spring Dance recital, I wanted to get Dolly's replies to the questions posted ..

Quote:
"I just looked at the WGA forum and I'm thrilled with all the interest this project is generating. I'm hoping that I will be able to directly respond to some of the questions real soon.

Response to some questions that Renee has not had a chance to respond to yet:
~ The new atlas and guide have been delivered to the IAT office. I did receive my copy in the mail yesterday because of this project. Other orders will probably not be shipped out until after the annual meeting because all staff is busy preparing for the meeting and will not be in the office at all from 4-16 to 4-21-08. The map numbers from the previous atlas have been reversed. The "e" series went from #1 being at the eastern terminus to #111 at the western terminus. The "f" series has #1 at the western terminus and #105 at the eastern terminus.
~ The "semi" glaciated area near Green/Dane County line sounds like it could be a great site - - - - PROVIDED; that it meets the other criteria for a ColdCache site. See the attached ColdCache Guidelines for Submittal. One of the most important criteria for a ColdCache is that it must be either on publicy owned property or property owned by the IAP&TF. That does not mean that there can't be an EarthCache that is on private property along the IAT, it simply means that if there is one, it will not be promoted as a ColdCache.
~ I'm very open to sites that I have not listed . . . again provided that the site meets the IAT guidelines.
~ The EarthCache coordinates do not need to be on the IAT for it to be considered a ColdCache site, if they are on a "side" trail accessed by the IAT. Examples of this situation include Brady's Rocks and Stone Elephant in the Southern Kettle Moraine State Forest.

I think that answers most of the questions so far. Hopfully I'll be able to answer directly on the forum real soon.

Dolly"

Dolly should be a WGA member soon and able to post to our forum here. I will ask Jeremy here with WGA if we can get the various IAT ColdCache paperwork posted to a page on WGA to help with this project. I noticed she talks about an attachment .. yep, that sort of thing.
AuntieNae

WGA Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:12 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Renee

Is there by chance a map or a link to one, of the IAT that we can post here, with the locations spoken of shown on it??? Just wondering. Not originally being from this state and having lived primarily in the N.E.W. area, I am not familiar with a lot of the areas.

Thanks!

View next topic
View previous topic