49.png BOD Info Center

17.png Forums
16.png New Posts
20.png Unanswered Posts

calendar_day.png Upcoming Events
mapicon.png Map
29.png Calendar
11.png Submit Event

mapicon.png WGA State Park CachesNew content !

shield_star.png Cache of the Month
mapicon.png Past Winners Map

LonelyCache.png Lonely Cache Game
mapicon.png Current Map
26.png Scoreboard
11.png Submit Report

rescueiconsm.png Cache Rescue
11.png Submit a Mission

icon_community.gif Members
27.png Your Account
47.png Private Messages
contact_blue.png WGA Member Map
Geocaching_LIVE_poweredby_16.png GC.COM Authorization

icon_members.gif News
tree-T.gif Topics
tree-T.gif Archives
tree-L.gif Submit News

image_cultured.png Photo Gallery
tree-T.gif Updates
tree-L.gif Popular

shield.png Fun Stuff
28.png Recent Logs
TB.gif Picnic to Picnic TB Race Standings
TB.gif WGA Hauler

49.png Board of Directors

Contact Us

Facebook

Wisconsin Geocaching Association

Follow Us

Twitter Button

Subscribe to Newsletter

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

Geocaching.com Search
View Search Syntax

COTM
Winner -
October 2014 Northern Zone:

Winner -
October 2014 Northeast Zone:
Yellowstone Trail Relics

Winner -
October 2014 West Central Zone:

Winner -
October 2014 South Central Zone:
Boom, Boom, Boom

Winner -
October 2014 Southeast Zone:

Winner -
October 2014 Series of the Month:

More Info >>>

Wisconsin Geocaching Association: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
GeoPink
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 9:06 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I was on my way back from some caching in northern Kewaunee/ Southern Door County the other weekend and was going to stop by Maribel: Here be Monsters. Just as someone else noted in the log; I, too, found the gates curiously locked. I found this curious as I had just, that day been to county parks in both Kewaunee and Door counties and none of them were "Closed for the Season" Even more recently I logged some finds in some Calumet county parks and one park (LedgeView Nature Center) was even staffed yet!

I went to the Manitowoc County website to see what the scoop was and found this.
"Park Season dates: May 1 to October 31"

As I picked my jaw back off the keyboard some questions came to mind...

1. How did those folks log the above cache without getting into the park? (no accusations, just a question)
  2. Is this common in other counties, that their parks are closed for 6 months out of the year or that they have "seasons"?
  3. Do I as a Manitowoc County resident have a legitimate gripe to bring to my County Supervisor in hopes of making a change -or- would I just be opening up a whole 'nother can of worms that may be best left unopened?

I realize that I've opened this thread up to alot of questions and that is my goal. I would love to have as much input on this as possible. I am a ticked off Manitowoc County resident. I have used our county park system relatively often in the past; only usually "in season." I have been making plans to both look for and start hiding caches; and several Manitowoc County parks were on my list. Needless to say I am a bit aggravated. While I normally don't go poking into things governmental, I have been known to hold a strong opinion about certain subjects and this happens to be one. What are your thoughts?

------------------
later,
Team GeoPink
Co-conspirators to make the world a better place

Cathunter

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 9:23 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I would first ask is the park is closed to hikers/bikers or is it just closed to vehicle traffic? It is common for county parks depts. to consist primarily of summer temp workers, and have little or no staffing during the off season. If the parks are completely inaccessable, I would start by talking to my local alderman or park supervisor and see if there's a possibility that they change their thinking. Glad to say our parks are all used for x-country skiing, walking/hiking etc. year around.

Good Luck

GeoPink
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 11:08 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Just to clarify... There is NO known permanent staffing at any of the County Parks in Manitowoc. Each park consist of primarily picnic areas, playgrounds, hiking trails, some waterfronts, and a bathroom (most are pit toilets). We're not talking about any fancy Nature Center here, just pieces of land! It's kind of like closing the old waysides in winter. Why?

Cheesehead Dave
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 7:20 am Reply with quote Back to top

I wonder if it's just because they don't want to spend the $$$ for snow removal/insurance for someone slipping on ice/etc. for the three people that would actually attempt to use the park over the winter?

GeoPink
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 4:53 pm Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by arcangl7:

• Is this common in other counties, that their parks are closed for 6 months out of the year or that they have "seasons"

• Just a bump and a request for more information about any other counties or cities that you'all live in. Is this a common "problem" or just unique to Manitowoc?

Thanks!

[edit]typo[/edit]
    ------------------
    later,
    Team GeoPink
    Co-conspirators to make the world a better place

[This message has been edited by arcangl7 (edited 12-09-2003).]

[This message has been edited by arcangl7 (edited 12-09-2003).]

Geoffnsara
    WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 5:08 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Ww were in Rock county this weekend and some of the parks gates were locked. We still did the caches. Just a longer walk.

wzbt03
    WGA Friend

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 9:48 am Reply with quote Back to top

Only one Janesville Park has a locked gate during the winter months - Riverside Park.
    Almost all the Illinois Forest Preserves are locking up or are locked up already. Many of the caches in that area become quite a hike if you arrive and the gate is locked.

RangerBoy
    WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 6:28 am Reply with quote Back to top

I can tell you the Waukesha County Parks are open year round and active. In fact the Winter Janboree is this month. The only thing that closes are some campgrounds.

Trudy and the beast
    WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 11:51 am Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
    Originally posted by RangerBoy:
    I can tell you the Waukesha County Parks are open year round and active. In fact the Winter Janboree is this month. The only thing that closes are some campgrounds.

One Caveat ~ Waukesha County Parks have an admittance fee.

Milwaukee County parks are open
    Milwaukee County parks are free
    Milwaukee County parks are geocaching friendly

GrouseTales
    WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 1:10 pm Reply with quote Back to top

A little off topic, but I have a personal boycott against Waukesha County Parks. To me, it's not worth paying their entrance fees to look for a cache. The cost for a seasonal pass is excessive, $22.00, especially the non-resident sticker $36.00. I've found 3 caches in Waukesha Parks, and each one killed me to pay $3.00 for a 15 min visit. The cost-quality value for Waukesha Parks is no where close to the cost-quality of Wisconsin State Parks. Just my $.02

[This message has been edited by GrouseTales (edited 01-09-2004).]

Trudy and the beast
    WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 2:40 pm Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
    Originally posted by GrouseTales:
    ... it's not worth paying their entrance fees to look for a cache....
    (edited 01-09-2004).]

Harumpf, harumpf.. my point exactly!

I can cache in Milwaukee County parks and save the $36.00 [it will buy batteries for my Garmin Map60C].

Buy_The_Tie
    WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 4:54 pm Reply with quote Back to top

When I place a cache in a Waukesha Cty. Park, I PLAN the cache around having parking co-ords that do NOT require an admittance fee. (Glow In The Dark & Glow In The Dark 2)

Cathunter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 6:53 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Although I do not like to pay a fee to hunt a geocache in a park, I will take another stance on this issue.

I tend to believe that many of our parks are in a state of disrepair and/or are in need of major improvements. The residential population and park usage has in some cases increased by tenfold, yet the budgets for park services are the first to be effected by budget cuts. Parks & recreation departments are at the bottom of the list when it comes to governmental priorities.

We think little of spending $50 on dinner, $25 on a movie, $40 on a night of bowling or $75 on a game of golf; yet we become bothered by being asked to pay a small fee to maintain and improve our parks and other natural resources?

A fee controls excessive usage through supply and demand. It also allows for proper care and growth. Don't we all have a great desire to see our parks well maintained, improved, and additional lands be set aside for the future? Park fees should be standardized and most likely even raised to enable these things to happen in the most efficient manner possible.

Sad, but true!

GrouseTales
    WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 8:00 pm Reply with quote Back to top

If the Wauk Co sticker was more reasonably priced, I would reconsider my stance. I can get into all the Beautiful State parks for $20.00 per year, but it cost me $36 to visit a few parks in Wauk County? I just don't think the quality of the Waukesha parks justifies the cost in my book.

Now I'm not saying that Waukesha county parks are all that bad, but I don't think I get my money's worth for $36. Now if the sticker was $10 res, and $15 non-res, I might consider the purchase of one. Afterall, why not support parks which allow us to cache.

There have been days when I would like to do a caching frenzie in the County Parks, but I would have to buy a daily pass for each park. Apparently, I'm not allowed to get an envelope from one park and then use it all the parks for the day. If I could buy a ONE pass and use it in any park for the day, I would do it in a heartbeat.

I don't like the idea of cachers parking outside the park, and then sneaking in without paying. If the cachers are reaping the benefits of the park allowing the cache, then the park should reap the benefits of the added traffic. In fact, in meetings with the DNR, the Director of State Parks expressed concerns about cachers bypassing entrance gates to look for a cache.

RangerBoy
    WGA Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 11:33 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The Waukesha Co Parks have a spring and fall special rate of $2.25 for a daily. I thought it could be used at all the Co parks you visited that same day. I will have to double check that.
    Also, there is no fee to walk or bike into one of these parks. The fee is ony for entering with a motorized vehicle.

View next topic
    View previous topic