49.png BOD Info Center

17.png Forums
16.png New Posts
20.png Unanswered Posts

calendar_day.png Upcoming Events
mapicon.png Map
29.png Calendar
11.png Submit Event

mapicon.png WGA State Park CachesNew content !

shield_star.png Cache of the Month
mapicon.png Past Winners Map

LonelyCache.png Lonely Cache Game
mapicon.png Current Map
26.png Scoreboard
11.png Submit Report

rescueiconsm.png Cache Rescue
11.png Submit a Mission

icon_community.gif Members
27.png Your Account
47.png Private Messages
contact_blue.png WGA Member Map
Geocaching_LIVE_poweredby_16.png GC.COM Authorization

icon_members.gif News
tree-T.gif Topics
tree-T.gif Archives
tree-L.gif Submit News

image_cultured.png Photo Gallery
tree-T.gif Updates
tree-L.gif Popular

shield.png Fun Stuff
28.png Recent Logs
TB.gif Picnic to Picnic TB Race Standings
TB.gif WGA Hauler

49.png Board of Directors

Contact Us

Facebook

Wisconsin Geocaching Association

Follow Us

Twitter Button

Subscribe to Newsletter

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

Geocaching.com Search
View Search Syntax

COTM
Winner -
June 2014 Northern Zone:
Forbidden Fruit

Winner -
June 2014 Northeast Zone:
Wildlife & Travel Bug Sanctuary

Winner -
June 2014 West Central Zone:
Pirates of the Roche-a-Cri

Winner -
June 2014 South Central Zone:
The Big "K"

Winner -
June 2014 Southeast Zone:
Whoomp! There It Is

Winner -
June 2014 Series of the Month:

More Info >>>

Wisconsin Geocaching Association: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Trudy and the beast
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 7:52 am Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by RangerBoy:
The Waukesha Co Parks have a spring and fall special rate of $2.25 for a daily. I thought it could be used at all the Co parks you visited that same day. I will have to double check that.
Also, there is no fee to walk or bike into one of these parks. The fee is ony for entering with a motorized vehicle.

A "special rate" would be no rate at all. Why are they charging for motorized vehicles? Because they can and it is enforceable! Motorized vehicles do not leave the trail, or even go on the trail.
They do less damage than bikers, or hikers with their dogs, or horses.

They charge their fee because they can; I visit other parks because I can.

GrouseTales
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 9:11 am Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by RangerBoy:
The Waukesha Co Parks have a spring and fall special rate of $2.25 for a daily. I thought it could be used at all the Co parks you visited that same day. I will have to double check that.
Also, there is no fee to walk or bike into one of these parks. The fee is ony for entering with a motorized vehicle.

Rangerboy, I would appreciate if you could check on that. In the past I've considered buying a day pass (envelope) and then visiting several parks on the same pass. My question would be:

• Are the envelopes marked with the specific park name, and only good in that park?
  • Do Rangers or park personel check that money envelopes in the collection box against the receipt on the car's dash?

Regarding parking outside the park, the last time I checked, the signs said that vehicles without stickers would get a "parking ticket", something like $35.00. Now, if you don't park your car, can you go in the park?

I once went to Minooka park in the winter just to check if there was still snow on the sledding hill. I didnt want to pay, just make a quick drive through. I saw the sign said violators would get a parking ticket. Since I wouldn't be parking, I proceeded into the park. I was then chased down and pursued by a County Parks PLOW. The guy followed me to the farthest lot, then blocked the road when I turned around to leave. The driver then proceeded to chew me out for not buying a pass to come in the park. I explained the sign said you would get a parking ticket and I was just driving through and NOT parking. He warned me and then let me leave. Funny, that was the last time I went to Minooka Park. Hmmm...I wonder why?

If I were allowed to buy ONE day pass and visit a bunch parks in the same day, I wouldn't mind paying $2.25. I would take the opportunity to find a bunch Waukesha Co Park caches then.

Speaking of $2.25 for a pass, why the HECK can't the County parks make the pass an even dollar amount. This has long been a pet peeve of mine at the boat launches. It costs $5.25, or $6.75 to launch the boat. Now what do you do if you don't have a handful of quarters? I'm sure If you overpay they won't mail you a check for $0.25, but I bet you get a citation if your a quarter short.

Rats...I'm all fired up again Image

[This message has been edited by GrouseTales (edited 01-11-2004).]

RangerBoy
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 1:09 am Reply with quote Back to top

# Are the envelopes marked with the specific park name, and only good in that park?
# Do Rangers or park personel check that money envelopes in the collection box against the receipt on the car's dash?

Ok, I checked with the office to make sure. Yes, a daily park pass is good for that day at any of the Waukesha County Parks. So you could visit them all in a day for as low as $2.25. The glitch is when a booth is staffed you get a color coded dated pass that any park will recognize as valid. However when you use the self register system you have a stub from the envelope that lists that specific park. Some workers have been confused and issued tickets to the vehicle thinking it was not a valid permit. However, the serial number on your stub will match the envelope you deposited so if you did receive a ticket by error you could call, write, or email the main office and it would be voided. Furthermore, this problem will be corrected soon, probably with universal envelopes for the entire sytem.

As for the decision to buy a daily or annual pass, I calculate at the full daily rate of $4.50 (Sat,Sun,Holiday) you would need to make at least 5 visits to make the annual sticker your best option. At the weekday and spring/fall rate of $2.25 you would need to make 10 visits.

RangerBoy
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 1:44 am Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by GrouseTales:

I once went to Minooka park in the winter just to check if there was still snow on the sledding hill...
... I was then chased down and pursued by a County Parks PLOW. The guy followed me to the farthest lot, then blocked the road when I turned around to leave. The driver then proceeded to chew me out for not buying a pass to come in the park. I explained the sign said you would get a parking ticket and I was just driving through and NOT parking. He warned me and then let me leave. Funny, that was the last time I went to Minooka Park. Hmmm...I wonder why?

Speaking of $2.25 for a pass, why the HECK can't the County parks make the pass an even dollar amount. This has long been a pet peeve of mine at the boat launches. It costs $5.25, or $6.75 to launch the boat. Now what do you do if you don't have a handful of quarters? I'm sure If you overpay they won't mail you a check for $0.25, but I bet you get a citation if your a quarter short.

Rats...I'm all fired up again Image

[This message has been edited by GrouseTales (edited 01-11-2004).][/B]

By the way that worker in the plow should be reported. We are trained to be polite in any public relation.

As for the exact change issue, that is admittedly inconvenient. I guess you have to plan ahead for some things like, buses, toll booths, certain vending machines, and the entrance booths that require exact change.

I don't know if this makes you feel better but you can use a personal check in the self-register envelope. Also, I was told change would be mailed back if an address was included.

skarolek
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 8:40 pm Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by Priebe's Pride:
What really is fun is when your youngest is a scout that "camps" at a Waukesha county park. While you are at the camp site, you can bet they will be dropping by to double check that everyone has their sticker. I bought one last year as a resident and used it 3x.

I've camped with our Cub Scout Pack at several Waukesha county parks, most recently last August. While I had a sticker on my pickup, my wife who joined later in the day did not have a sticker on her van. I asked at the gate and they said to just have her let them know she was camping with us and they'd let her in without paying for the sticker. Campers do not require a sticker. The parking cost is included in the campsite cost.

Steve K

sbukosky
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 7:33 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I've usually don't have a problem with user fees. It does irk me about the sticker policy for both the state and Waukesha because I have four vehicles that I might take to a fee area at any given time.

Just be glad we don't have to pay a fee to the Air Force to use the GPS!

skarolek
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 9:27 pm Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by sbukosky:
I've usually don't have a problem with user fees. It does irk me about the sticker policy for both the state and Waukesha because I have four vehicles that I might take to a fee area at any given time.

Just be glad we don't have to pay a fee to the Air Force to use the GPS!

Steve, Do you know about the state's "2nd vehicle discount"? When you buy your first state sticker, you can buy a 2nd for half price for your 2nd vehicle. I have no idea what they'd do if you asked for a sticker and 3 "2nd vehicle" stickers.

Last year I put the first sticker on my wife's van and didn't buy a sticker for my pickup. At some point in the year I found myself going into a state park and I told them the sticker was on my wife's van and asked them if they still sold the 2nd vehicle stickers. They had no problem selling me one on the spot without proof that I had purchased the first one! From now on though, I plan to just buy 2 up front.

Hmmm, come to think of it, I've bought a sticker for my GoldWing in the past too... If I don't see a response from you about more than 2 stickers before I find myself in a state park for the first time this year, I'll ask and post results here...

Steve K

RangerBoy
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 1:24 am Reply with quote Back to top

FYI you can also buy a second vehicle half price sticker at the Waukesha Co Parks too.

sbukosky
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 7:51 pm Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by skarolek:
Steve, Do you know about the state's "2nd vehicle discount"?.... Hmmm, come to think of it, I've bought a sticker for my GoldWing in the past too...

Now I know why your name is familiar! Yeah, I'm aware of the second sticker discount. Oddly, I got one for my Gold Wing at Bong when some of the guys from Racine and Kenosha held an event there. Maybe you've seen a picture of Brian, Jeremy and myself on a motorcycle caching trip? That was two years ago. Perhaps it is time for another two wheeler only caching tour to be scheduled?

------------------
Steve Bukosky
Waukesha

skarolek
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 10:42 pm Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by sbukosky:
Perhaps it is time for another two wheeler only caching tour to be scheduled?

I honestly wouldn't mind if you waited for the temperature to go up 60-70 degrees ;-)

Steve K

View next topic
View previous topic